Microsoft's Financial Strains are Becoming Evident Now

Microsoft's Financial Strains are Becoming Evident Now

Post by Mr. I.M. Kitt » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:16:24

http://news.com.com/2110-1001-873689.html?tag=cdshrt

The rise and fall of a giant is serving notice to any company who would
attempt to monopolize any market.  When you corner a market and grow
exponentially because no choice has been given to the consumer,
revolutionary ideas spark and churn and start to make headway out of
necessity.

Failure to deliver choice, forcing symbiotic relationships amongst host
companies to deliver only one solution on their product, on top of creating
products that are not scrutinized enough before they hit the shelves, are
the reasons why I believe Microsoft will continue a fluctuative spiral down
in price now that alternatives to their software are:

a) available to everybody who uses a computer
b) low cost or free
c) are looked at by many eyes
d) are often more innovative
e) free to develop
f) will run on more than one type of hardware platform

Nowadays, these are the factors that drive innovation.  Where were you
yesterday when the Penguins were asking where do you want to go next year
instead of where do you want to go today?  I'm more concerned about my
future, not my "here and now."

From the Linux Box of WarpKat

Download my public key from:

                            (Public Key expires 01/08/2003)

Post by Kenneth Down » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 02:34:45

> http://news.com.com/2110-1001-873689.html?tag=cdshrt

> The rise and fall of a giant is serving notice to any company who would
> attempt to monopolize any market.  When you corner a market and grow
> exponentially because no choice has been given to the consumer,
> revolutionary ideas spark and churn and start to make headway out of
> necessity.

> Failure to deliver choice, forcing symbiotic relationships amongst host
> companies to deliver only one solution on their product, on top of
> creating products that are not scrutinized enough before they hit the
> shelves, are the reasons why I believe Microsoft will continue a
> fluctuative spiral down in price now that alternatives to their software
> are:

> a) available to everybody who uses a computer
> b) low cost or free
> c) are looked at by many eyes
> d) are often more innovative
> e) free to develop
> f) will run on more than one type of hardware platform

> Nowadays, these are the factors that drive innovation.  Where were you
> yesterday when the Penguins were asking where do you want to go next year
> instead of where do you want to go today?  I'm more concerned about my
> future, not my "here and now."

We're not supposed to waste band-width just saying "well said", but here
goes: Well Said!

--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

Microsoft's Financial Strains are Becoming Evident Now

Post by spag » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 03:54:01

Pray tell me, how are "Linux Companies" faring these days? I think you
forget that the entire economy is in a general slur.

> http://news.com.com/2110-1001-873689.html?tag=cdshrt

> The rise and fall of a giant is serving notice to any company who would
> attempt to monopolize any market.  When you corner a market and grow
> exponentially because no choice has been given to the consumer,
> revolutionary ideas spark and churn and start to make headway out of
> necessity.

> Failure to deliver choice, forcing symbiotic relationships amongst host
> companies to deliver only one solution on their product, on top of
creating
> products that are not scrutinized enough before they hit the shelves, are
> the reasons why I believe Microsoft will continue a fluctuative spiral
down
> in price now that alternatives to their software are:

> a) available to everybody who uses a computer
> b) low cost or free
> c) are looked at by many eyes
> d) are often more innovative
> e) free to develop
> f) will run on more than one type of hardware platform

> Nowadays, these are the factors that drive innovation.  Where were you
> yesterday when the Penguins were asking where do you want to go next year
> instead of where do you want to go today?  I'm more concerned about my
> future, not my "here and now."

> --
> From the Linux Box of WarpKat

> Download my public key from:

>                             (Public Key expires 01/08/2003)

Microsoft's Financial Strains are Becoming Evident Now

Post by Linonu » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 04:17:42

After takin' a swig o' grog, Mr. I.M. Kitty belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:

> http://news.com.com/2110-1001-873689.html?tag=cdshrt

> Failure to deliver choice, forcing symbiotic relationships amongst host
> companies to deliver only one solution on their product, on top of creating
> products that are not scrutinized enough before they hit the shelves, are
> the reasons why I believe Microsoft will continue a fluctuative spiral down
> in price now that alternatives to their software are:

Pretty bad for a company who has their OS shipping on nearly every
new PC.

Chris

--
The system was down for backups from 5am to 10am last Saturday.

Post by yt.. » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 04:45:31

> Pray tell me, how are "Linux Companies" faring these days? I think you
> forget that the entire economy is in a general slur.

True, and switching to linux *now* will not save a dying company.  However, many
of those companies who decided well ahead of time (more than two years ago) to
convert to cheaper software all-around are now very thankful that they did.

I wonder if microsoft can be held liable for the state of the economy.

-----.

--
"Hell, rocket science isn't even rocket science"
--A NASA rocket scientist, undernet, circa 1996

Post by Eric W. Sarjean » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 07:12:45

> Pray tell me, how are "Linux Companies" faring these days? I think you
> forget that the entire economy is in a general slur.

This is true, but it's important to keep in mind the nature of open source
will ensure that Linux can survive.

Windows cannot survive if Microsoft cannot support it.

--

"I'm crying. Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come."  - Beatles

Post by Scott Bicknel » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:31:44

>> Pray tell me, how are "Linux Companies" faring these days? I think
>> you forget that the entire economy is in a general slur.

> This is true, but it's important to keep in mind the nature of open
> source will ensure that Linux can survive.

> Windows cannot survive if Microsoft cannot support it.

This is what people with no understanding of Open Source dynamics
always overlook. They see free software as a homeless derelict without
a future when, in fact, its freedom from corporate control ensures its
survival in any economic downturn. Moreover, when the economy takes a
dive companies tend to turn to Open Source as a way to lower IT
costs--and so free software surges forward at those times by gaining
users. This larger user base raises the developer base. In good
economic times money gets poured into Open Source development, making
it a better alternative to consider. So that in each economic downturn
the free software alternatives look even better than they did in the
previous one. And the cycle feeds on itself endlessly, benefitting by
whatever forces are * in the economy.

Scott
--
Linux never goes down on me...
...even when promised dinner and a movie.

Microsoft's Financial Strains are Becoming Evident Now

Post by Mr. I.M. Kitt » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 20:04:53

On a nice fine day, WarpKat was watching spag say something meaningless,
which included some sort of babbling fish talking about this:

Quote:> Pray tell me, how are "Linux Companies" faring these days? I think you
> forget that the entire economy is in a general slur.

The mere fact that Open Source by its own definition is realistically
"shared and distributed source" means that an Open Source project, once it
has begun, will continue to thrive until the majority of people that use
it, require it, or are curious about it simply lose interest in it.

The more popular Open Source projects:  OpenSSL, OpenSSH, KDE, Gnome,
XFree86, Wine, just to name a few, will thrive if and when the original
project developers die or simply don't continue to head the development.

Case in point:  phpMyAdmin.  A beautifully crafted Open Source (by force,
and by choice) web-based administration project for MySQL, has shifted.
It's original programmer could not continue its development, so another
person took over, and I believe this project has gotten WAY better in terms
of functionality and useability.

support it anymore; and this encompasses the Linux kernel itself.  Just
because a distribution company loses ground, profits and so-forth, doesn't
automatically mean the project itself will die.

Linus Torvalds, by distribution of the original kernel v0.1, gave a value
to programmers of the Open Source community that is literally priceless
becuase he wanted something better to work with instead of Minix.  From
v0.1 with simple i/o support to the now 2.4.18 kernel with USB support (on
top of everything else), the project has thrived without an actual
necessity for Linux distribution companies.  The only thing the
distribution companies did was put this project into a very bright light,
and some of them have made Linux easier to manage.

Here's the bottom line:  Linux will always have the support of the Open
Source community.  When MS dies, who will support Windows?

From the Linux Box of WarpKat

Post by D. C. Session » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:06:51

Quote:> Pray tell me, how are "Linux Companies" faring these days? I think you
> forget that the entire economy is in a general slur.

Well, Cadence is bringing their EDA suite to Linux; the Spectre
circuit simulator Linux version will be out later this year.
This is noteworthy because Cadence was the #1 holdout (and
btw, you can get fully-functional Orcad demos from their site.)

--
| It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance  |
|  It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance  |

Post by Mr. I.M. Kitt » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 19:59:18

>> Pray tell me, how are "Linux Companies" faring these days? I think you
>> forget that the entire economy is in a general slur.

> Well, Cadence is bringing their EDA suite to Linux; the Spectre
> circuit simulator Linux version will be out later this year.
> This is noteworthy because Cadence was the #1 holdout (and
> btw, you can get fully-functional Orcad demos from their site.)

A while back when I worked for NewCom, we used Orcad (for Windows).

I was looking into other CAD software (cheaper with Orcad functionality)
and that's when I started tinkering with Linux.  I got most of it working
and was quite fond of it and even found a neat CAD program for it with
circuit design abilities.

I honestly hope Orcad gets ported.

1. Oracle DBA's/Financial Dev.'s !

Hi to all,

My name is Brad Wiley. I'm the Dallas Texas Branch Manager for MIS
Technologies, Inc. We're a Tulsa, Oklahoma based Computer Software
Staffing Firm. We also have offices in Oklahoma City, Ok., Joplin, Mo.,
Scottsdale,Az., Pittsburgh,Pa., Colorado Springs, Co., and of course
Dallas Texas! Please feel free to visit our homepage at:
http://www.usaor.net/mis.

Our company handles Permanent Placement, Contract For Hire, Contract, and
Hourly Consultant opportunities. We work with both Legacy and
Client/Server environments for our clients. I happen to specialize in the
RDB/Unix (Client/Server) environment, and have many positions available
currently!

I'm looking for Oracle DBA's and Financial Developers on a nationwide
basis, sometimes for Oracle directly, and many other positions with a
variety of different clientele. I would urge you to send your resume to me
promptly, especially if you have skills in the RDB/Unix world! Once you've
forwarded me a copy of your resume, I will get with you promptly to
discuss what opportunities are available to you! You should also know, we
do not distribute your resume to any client without your verbal or written
consent. We respect your rights as an individual and your desire for
confidentiality.

We are also members of a very powerful network that often times, allows
you to  decrease the amount of activity required in your job search to
still be successful! Please send me a copy of your qualifications, or
reach us today by any of the following:

800# : (800) 484-9200 (xt. 5150)
phone: (214) 315-0812
fax  : (214) 315-9032

Thanks so much for your time. I look forward to working with you!

Sincerely,

Brad Wiley
MIS Technologies, Inc.

2. How to get NIS+ passwd database to work? (ANSWER)

3. I want to become RHCE -- i am newbie, should i take the RHCE eLearning classes ?

4. Help! Can write, but not read, using /dev/ttya

5. Oracle DBA's/Financial Dev.'s !

6. Dual Boot Help

7. I am think I have become addicted to eye-candy...

8. direct PPP-dialin, without "login" ???

9. The day Erik Funkenbusch became a Microsoft advocate

10. ESSAY: Must We Become Microsoft-watchers?

11. What a bunch of petty Microsoft bashing fools this group has become...

12. Tweaking Linux / Becoming 'guru'

13. How to become user 'news'