I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Will » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On every page the text goes almost to the binding, making it very
difficult to read.

Maybe if they had used Word...

Willy

"Just because I'm moody
 doesn't mean you're not irritating."

(from Hallmark shoebox greetings t-shirt)

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Sam Trenhol » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>On every page the text goes almost to the binding, making it very
>difficult to read.

>Maybe if they had used Word...

I assume you mean Applix Words, which comes with Applixware for Linux.
Their manual describes the ability to set margins:

  The Margin settings define the amount of space between the text and the
  edges of the paper, expressed in the current units.  The Facing Pages
  option lets you set different margins for odd and even pages.

More info on this product:

  http://www.redhat.com/products/product-details.phtml?id=apx

- Sam

--
"You can...turn sadness into laughter" -- Sunscreem, _Love_U_More_

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Will » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>On every page the text goes almost to the binding, making it very
>>difficult to read.

>>Maybe if they had used Word...

>I assume you mean Applix Words, which comes with Applixware for Linux.
>Their manual describes the ability to set margins:

>  The Margin settings define the amount of space between the text and the
>  edges of the paper, expressed in the current units.  The Facing Pages
>  option lets you set different margins for odd and even pages.

>More info on this product:

>  http://www.redhat.com/products/product-details.phtml?id=apx

No, I meant Microsoft Word, where I would choose File-Page Setup, set
the "gutter" (binding area) to .5" and check the "Mirror Margins" box
for book style printing.

But I guess none of you would know that since "advanced features are
buried and impossible to find" (as the MS haters chant goes.).

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>On every page the text goes almost to the binding, making it very
>difficult to read.
>Maybe if they had used Word...

I suspect they were just being cheap.

Some of the best typeset computer books I've seen are from O'Reilly.  I'm
pretty certain that they don't use Word.  For that matter, how many
publishers use it to produce camera ready copy?

http://www.ora.com/publishing/linux/noframes.html

Post by Matt Maynar » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>On every page the text goes almost to the binding, making it very
>difficult to read.

>Maybe if they had used Word...

It's probably just a bad printing. It happens.

Matt Maynard
IRC: Stonebreaker
http://shaft.arizona.edu/~maynard/

Post by David Freema » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >>On every page the text goes almost to the binding, making it very
> >>difficult to read.

> >>Maybe if they had used Word...

> >I assume you mean Applix Words, which comes with Applixware for Linux.
> >Their manual describes the ability to set margins:

> >  The Margin settings define the amount of space between the text and the
> >  edges of the paper, expressed in the current units.  The Facing Pages
> >  option lets you set different margins for odd and even pages.

> >More info on this product:

> >  http://www.redhat.com/products/product-details.phtml?id=apx

> No, I meant Microsoft Word, where I would choose File-Page Setup, set
> the "gutter" (binding area) to .5" and check the "Mirror Margins" box
> for book style printing.

> But I guess none of you would know that since "advanced features are
> buried and impossible to find" (as the MS haters chant goes.).

Sounds like Applix Words does the same thing.

Quote:> Willy

> "Just because I'm moody
>  doesn't mean you're not irritating."

> (from Hallmark shoebox greetings t-shirt)

--
                David Freeman

                http://www.wpi.edu/~free779/
                #2202 x6947
                Morgan 203
                free779

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Guardia » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I can not believe how incredibly PETTY this thread is!! Willy, the problems with
the margin are caused by a faulty printing setup. Incase you weren't aware, mass
produced books are not printed by a workstation on a laser printer! It doesn't
matter if they used MS Word, ApplixWare, Notepad, vi, or anything else.
    Why not actually keep the subject of this newsgroups to a more dignified
level? Let's at least aim for some level of intelligence, please.

> [...]

> > >  http://www.redhat.com/products/product-details.phtml?id=apx

> > No, I meant Microsoft Word, where I would choose File-Page Setup, set
> > the "gutter" (binding area) to .5" and check the "Mirror Margins" box
> > for book style printing.

> > But I guess none of you would know that since "advanced features are
> > buried and impossible to find" (as the MS haters chant goes.).

> Sounds like Applix Words does the same thing.

> > Willy

> > "Just because I'm moody
> >  doesn't mean you're not irritating."

> > (from Hallmark shoebox greetings t-shirt)

> --
>                 David Freeman

>                 http://www.wpi.edu/~free779/
>                 #2202 x6947
>                 Morgan 203
>                 free779

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Sam Trenhol » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[snip.  Some poor soul who seems to think you need to use Microsoft
 Word to get "gutter" margins]

Quote:>No, I meant Microsoft Word, where I would choose File-Page Setup, set
>the "gutter" (binding area) to .5" and check the "Mirror Margins" box
>for book style printing.

To do this in Applix for Linux:

1. Select Format -> Page Setup

2. Check on the square "Facing Pages"

3. Make the "Inner" margin in the upper right hand corner the amount of
   "Gutter" margin desired

ObAdvocacy: Despite rumors to the contrary, there exists applications for
            Linux with gutter margin support.

Take care,

- Sam

--
"You can...turn sadness into laughter" -- Sunscreem, _Love_U_More_

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Anyone for thermonuclear tenni » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:16:28 GMT, a small green fish snuck into
Willy's internet account in order to express the following:

> >>On every page the text goes almost to the binding, making it very
> >>difficult to read.
> >>Maybe if they had used Word...
> >I assume you mean Applix Words, which comes with Applixware for Linux.
> >Their manual describes the ability to set margins:
> >  The Margin settings define the amount of space between the text and the
> >  edges of the paper, expressed in the current units.  The Facing Pages
> >  option lets you set different margins for odd and even pages.
> No, I meant Microsoft Word, where I would choose File-Page Setup, set
> the "gutter" (binding area) to .5" and check the "Mirror Margins" box
> for book style printing.
> But I guess none of you would know that since "advanced features are
> buried and impossible to find" (as the MS haters chant goes.).

$ cat whatsit.txt | par -j1g1w60 | pr -fo10 > whatsit.formatted.txt

Nice 60 column wide justified text with 10 character margins on each side.
Why use a gooietoy when a simple, efficient operation like that will do?

Now, whoever formatted the thing should read a few man pages, I think...

Post by Will » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>No, I meant Microsoft Word, where I would choose File-Page Setup, set
>>the "gutter" (binding area) to .5" and check the "Mirror Margins" box
>>for book style printing.

>To do this in Applix for Linux:

>1. Select Format -> Page Setup

>2. Check on the square "Facing Pages"

>3. Make the "Inner" margin in the upper right hand corner the amount of
>   "Gutter" margin desired

>ObAdvocacy: Despite rumors to the contrary, there exists applications for
>            Linux with gutter margin support.

That sound easy.  Looks like WGS should have used Applix instead of
LaTeX.

Post by Bernd Paysa » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> That sound easy.  Looks like WGS should have used Applix instead of
> LaTeX.

Except that*certainly provides gutter margin support. That's the
default for the "book" and "report" style. Sounds easy to me.

--
Bernd Paysan
"Late answers are wrong answers!"

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Will » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:59:06 +0100, Bernd Paysan

>> That sound easy.  Looks like WGS should have used Applix instead of
>> LaTeX.

>Except that*certainly provides gutter margin support. That's the
>default for the "book" and "report" style. Sounds easy to me.

From the looks of the book they might have had the gutter on the wrong
side.

Willy

"Just because I'm moody
 doesn't mean you're not irritating."

(from Hallmark shoebox greetings t-shirt)

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Will » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I can not believe how incredibly PETTY this thread is!! Willy, the problems with
>the margin are caused by a faulty printing setup. Incase you weren't aware, mass
>produced books are not printed by a workstation on a laser printer! It doesn't
>matter if they used MS Word, ApplixWare, Notepad, vi, or anything else.
>    Why not actually keep the subject of this newsgroups to a more dignified
>level? Let's at least aim for some level of intelligence, please.

First, you don't know if it's a printing error.  I'm trying to find
out from WGS but they haven't responded.

Second, I paid 80 bucks for a book I can't read.  That's not petty to
me.

Last, if you don't like this thread then don't read it.

Willy

"Just because I'm moody
 doesn't mean you're not irritating."

(from Hallmark shoebox greetings t-shirt)

I'm sitting here reading Linux Encyclopedia by WGS and noticed something strange...

Post by Mats Andtback » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Second, I paid 80 bucks for a book I can't read.  That's not petty to
>me.

why on earth did you do that, though? did you buy it mail-order so you
couldn't crack it open in the bookstore first to see how it was laid
out?
--
        "Pitiful, isn't it?"    - Marvin