American ISPs that support linux?

Post by Stev » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 07:43:59

Any of the free isps still support linux?

Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

Thanks

Steve

American ISPs that support linux?

Post by Ayende Rahie » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:30:40

Quote:> Any of the free isps still support linux?

Not likely.
At the very least, you'll need to use a properity dialer.
As I understand it, all the free ISPs sponser themselves via advertising.
If they allowed you to log in without using their ad-dispalying dialer, they
would loose money.

Quote:> Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support

linux?

Of the ISPs that you have to pay for, nearly anyone but AOL & MSN should do
it.
But I understand that only AOL force you to use their own dialer. The other
ISPs lets you in on normal, standard, way, which Linux support.
For best deals, you'll have to look around.

OTOH, if you'll mail me all your detials, including CC. I'll be happy to
help you find an ISP.
For a small comission. :-)

Post by Paul Hodo » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:20:33

> Any of the free isps still support linux?

> Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

I have just started using one recently. I would suggest looking for a
small, local ISP in your area, which offers a shell account. My ISP
(www.pil.net) services SE PA and costs between $15 and $20/mo. They run
a BSD server. Although they do not support Linux officially, they were
vey helpful in providing the necessary information to get me going.

Pacala

Post by Jim Richards » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:56:23

>> Any of the free isps still support linux?

>> Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

> I have just started using one recently. I would suggest looking for a
> small, local ISP in your area, which offers a shell account. My ISP
> (www.pil.net) services SE PA and costs between $15 and $20/mo. They run
> a BSD server. Although they do not support Linux officially, they were
> vey helpful in providing the necessary information to get me going.

> Pacala

I use eskimo.com,  a small local ISP, but they have dialups through a
couple of services, and are availble in all states, and asia. I like
them. Rates are comparable with others. Shell access of course is
available.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Post by Shawn Lindsa » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:28:05

> Any of the free isps still support linux?

> Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support
> linux?

> Thanks

> Steve

http://www.freedomlist.com/find.php3?country=USA

Look for the penguin icons.  Also the "cheap isp" list is extensive.

For more try surfing from

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Access_Providers/D...

I'm using ivwnet.com because they do not attach spam to my emails, they
provide nttp server access, they give 10M webspace, multiple e-mail
accounts, and their support is quick and friendly.  At $100 per year
(no "set-up" fee) for a 56K dial-up account, I'm satisfied.  They use
Unix and Apache, but I do not think they offer shell access.

Shawn.

--
Leave "spam" in the address to reply.

Post by George P. Nelso » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:35:33

> Although they do not support Linux officially, they were
> vey helpful in providing the necessary information to get me going.

That seems to be the norm, Although my ISP doesn't "support" linux it's
mostly a matter of What you get when you sign up. Windows users get a
free CD that will do the set up stuff, like inserting the correct DNS
addresses,  names of the mail & news server machines etc, as well as
having some internet useful programs like a true ftp client Linux users
only get a sheet of paper that contains all the information you need
to get your system working, I never had any problem getting my system
connected and fully working.

Post by Steve Madin » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 15:29:54

: Any of the free isps still support linux?

: Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

Is it really "support" you are looking for or "lack of technical
barriers to"?  In other words, do you want hand-holding from the
ISP or just a lack of stonewalling and an OS-agnostic technical
system?  If you want actual support for Linux from an ISP, that's
pretty hard to come by.  If you just want an ISP that won't *
and moan about you using Linux, provided you do the setup yourself,
those are quite common.  (Part of the reason is economic incentive.
Of all potential customers a small percentage are Linux users.  Of
all Linux users a small percentage would actually need phone help
understanding how to set up an ISP connection - most would know
what they are doing, and those that don't would be more likely to
be the sort of personalities that would rather figure it out on
their own than admit ignorance by calling a phone help center.)
With such a small number of people who would make use of support
for Linux, it's just not worth training people in how to do that
support.

(What really irks me is the cablemodem people who insist on
installing the connection for you, and if they can't do it,
they won't sell you the service.  (So you have to have them
install it under Windows, then after they leave take down the
appropriate numbers from the control panel, reboot to linux,
and configure the connection with those numbers.))

Post by Michael Veste » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:08:33

> : Any of the free isps still support linux?

> : Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

> Is it really "support" you are looking for or "lack of technical
> barriers to"?  In other words, do you want hand-holding from the
> ISP or just a lack of stonewalling and an OS-agnostic technical
> system?  If you want actual support for Linux from an ISP, that's
> pretty hard to come by.  If you just want an ISP that won't *
> and moan about you using Linux, provided you do the setup yourself,
> those are quite common.  (Part of the reason is economic incentive.
> Of all potential customers a small percentage are Linux users.  Of
> all Linux users a small percentage would actually need phone help
> understanding how to set up an ISP connection - most would know
> what they are doing, and those that don't would be more likely to
> be the sort of personalities that would rather figure it out on
> their own than admit ignorance by calling a phone help center.)
> With such a small number of people who would make use of support
> for Linux, it's just not worth training people in how to do that
> support.

> (What really irks me is the cablemodem people who insist on
> installing the connection for you, and if they can't do it,
> they won't sell you the service.  (So you have to have them
> install it under Windows, then after they leave take down the
> appropriate numbers from the control panel, reboot to linux,
> and configure the connection with those numbers.))

That is good advice. My cable modem ISP insisted that they do the
setup.  And they would only do losedos or Macs.
--
Since the last power outage
 10:06am  up 5 days, 15:24,  1 user,  load average: 1.20, 1.13, 1.05

Post by The.Central.Scrutinizer.wakaw.. » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:57:33

>: Any of the free isps still support linux?

>: Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

>Is it really "support" you are looking for or "lack of technical
>barriers to"?  In other words, do you want hand-holding from the
>ISP or just a lack of stonewalling and an OS-agnostic technical
>system?  If you want actual support for Linux from an ISP, that's

Almost nobody gives "official" support for linux, but since few ISPs care to
pay 3 times as much for the hardware in order to run a MS server and get 5
times the downtime, they all use unix servers.

In 12 years of using the internet, I've yet to come accross and ISP that uses
microsoft for their servers.

it 48 hours without an outage or a month without a day long outage.  I use my
old ISP for e-mail;  they use linux and have had maybe 16 hours downtime in the
last two years.

Post by The.Central.Scrutinizer.wakaw.. » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 01:58:22

>> : Any of the free isps still support linux?

>> : Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

>> Is it really "support" you are looking for or "lack of technical
>> barriers to"?  In other words, do you want hand-holding from the
>> ISP or just a lack of stonewalling and an OS-agnostic technical
>> system?  If you want actual support for Linux from an ISP, that's
>> pretty hard to come by.  If you just want an ISP that won't *
>> and moan about you using Linux, provided you do the setup yourself,
>> those are quite common.  (Part of the reason is economic incentive.
>> Of all potential customers a small percentage are Linux users.  Of
>> all Linux users a small percentage would actually need phone help
>> understanding how to set up an ISP connection - most would know
>> what they are doing, and those that don't would be more likely to
>> be the sort of personalities that would rather figure it out on
>> their own than admit ignorance by calling a phone help center.)
>> With such a small number of people who would make use of support
>> for Linux, it's just not worth training people in how to do that
>> support.

>> (What really irks me is the cablemodem people who insist on
>> installing the connection for you, and if they can't do it,
>> they won't sell you the service.  (So you have to have them
>> install it under Windows, then after they leave take down the
>> appropriate numbers from the control panel, reboot to linux,
>> and configure the connection with those numbers.))

>That is good advice. My cable modem ISP insisted that they do the
>setup.  And they would only do losedos or Macs.

I set up a shitbox windoze machine for them to play with.  After they left, I
set up my linux box to talk to the cable modem.

American ISPs that support linux?

Post by mmn.. » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 04:13:36

<snip>

Quote:>>> you have to have them
>>> install it under Windows, then after they leave take down the
>>> appropriate numbers from the control panel, reboot to linux,
>>> and configure the connection with those numbers.))

>>That is good advice. My cable modem ISP insisted that they do the
>>setup.  And they would only do losedos or Macs.

> I set up a shitbox windoze machine for them to play with.  After they
> left, I set up my linux box to talk to the cable modem.

Yep, that's what everbody does.

Post by The.Central.Scrutinizer.wakaw.. » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 04:28:18

><snip>

>>>That is good advice. My cable modem ISP insisted that they do the
>>>setup.  And they would only do losedos or Macs.

>> I set up a shitbox windoze machine for them to play with.  After they
>> left, I set up my linux box to talk to the cable modem.

>Yep, that's what everbody does.

What was really ridiculous was that it was a * install and when they
couldn't find netconfig (or something like that), they quit.  They simply said
"it's a self-install. period."  5 minutes later I had the tcp/ip stuff
installed so they could run it but they refused to finish the install.  When
there were hardware problems -- they installed a filter on the wrong cable line
-- I had to have them return two more times before they made things work.  Each
time they returned, they would ask me what was wrong and I'd simply say "you
guys keep leaving without the setup working."  Lost 8 hours from work as a
result of their pathetic incompetance.

Post by Aaron R. Kulki » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 06:20:22

> : Any of the free isps still support linux?

> : Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support linux?

> Is it really "support" you are looking for or "lack of technical
> barriers to"?  In other words, do you want hand-holding from the
> ISP or just a lack of stonewalling and an OS-agnostic technical
> system?  If you want actual support for Linux from an ISP, that's
> pretty hard to come by.  If you just want an ISP that won't *
> and moan about you using Linux, provided you do the setup yourself,
> those are quite common.  (Part of the reason is economic incentive.
> Of all potential customers a small percentage are Linux users.  Of
> all Linux users a small percentage would actually need phone help
> understanding how to set up an ISP connection - most would know
> what they are doing, and those that don't would be more likely to
> be the sort of personalities that would rather figure it out on
> their own than admit ignorance by calling a phone help center.)
> With such a small number of people who would make use of support
> for Linux, it's just not worth training people in how to do that
> support.

> (What really irks me is the cablemodem people who insist on
> installing the connection for you, and if they can't do it,
> they won't sell you the service.  (So you have to have them
> install it under Windows, then after they leave take down the
> appropriate numbers from the control panel, reboot to linux,
> and configure the connection with those numbers.))

I just do this:

I tell them to give me the settings (IP, mask, DNS, gateway, etc.)
and put the settings in myself, and just ask that they stay around
long enough to confirm that the settings are valid.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

   can defeat the email search bots. (Updated 20 July 2001)

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   *ery while concurrently committing *ery with Tammy Hahn.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Post by GreyClou » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:23:36

>>: Any of the free isps still support linux?

>>: Of the isps you have to pay for, which give the best deals and support
>>: linux?

>>Is it really "support" you are looking for or "lack of technical
>>barriers to"?  In other words, do you want hand-holding from the
>>ISP or just a lack of stonewalling and an OS-agnostic technical
>>system?  If you want actual support for Linux from an ISP, that's

> Almost nobody gives "official" support for linux, but since few ISPs care
> to pay 3 times as much for the hardware in order to run a MS server and
> get 5 times the downtime, they all use unix servers.

> In 12 years of using the internet, I've yet to come accross and ISP that
> uses microsoft for their servers.

> made
> it 48 hours without an outage or a month without a day long outage.  I use
> my
> old ISP for e-mail;  they use linux and have had maybe 16 hours downtime
> in the last two years.

Silverdale, WASH. is full of microsoft server oriented ISPs.  Mine is the
only Linux server there.

American ISPs that support linux?

Post by mmn.. » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:24:08

<snip>

Quote:> When there were hardware problems -- they installed a filter on the wrong
> cable line
> -- I had to have them return two more times before they made things work.
> Each time they returned, they would ask me what was wrong and I'd simply
> say "you
> guys keep leaving without the setup working."  Lost 8 hours from work as a
> result of their pathetic incompetance.

My office mate is still on his 4-month-and-counting
quest for cable Internet access.  It's a commedy
of incompetence.

I had the same problems trying to transfer my
service by 1 1/2 miles when I moved.  They simply
didn't know how to do it (and the transfer cost
*more* than the initial installation).

1. EROLS Sucks (AKA what ISP's support linux)

I just had a typical experience trying out a new ISP.

I contacted EROLS sales dept and asked: "I'm using linux, will this
work" they said "as long as you're using standard software yes".

I dial in, get connected and authenticated with PAP, everything looks
good.  However, I can't do anything (DNS lookups, ping, traceroute),
they seem to be filtering me!

Anyway, I call tech support, they ask what version of Windoze I'm
running.  When I say Linux, they all but hang up on me.

This infuriates me!  I can give their tech support dept 10 times the
information a typical windoze user can (ie: authenticated with PAP, my
assigned ip address, my peers IP address, traceroute listings, ICMP
errors) yet I'm the one who gets no support!

What I want to know though, is anyone keeping a list of linux friendly
ISP's?

Brian

2. Nameserver is causin frequent dialin

3. Albuquerque ISP w/ Linux dialup support?

4. need AMI MegaRAID help

5. Linux ISP and DSL support

6. fsck

7. Any ISP supports Linux Dial-Up in Bay Area ?

8. Tab file completion in ksh?

9. ISP supporting linux

10. free isp that support linux

11. Is there worldwide ISP that supports Linux

12. list of ISPs that support Linux?

13. Warning: Connecting Linux Redhat 5.2 to ISP that supports SMTP