Looking for old article.

Post by Grzegorz Nowakowsk » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

        Hi.

A few moths ago there was an article in this newsgroup from some
person wishing to see books introducing newbie to unix world.  Only
thing I remember is that title of one of proposed books was something
like "X is not a horror".  Does anyone have this article saved?  Or
maybe original author has the copy.  If so, please send me it (at the
address in the sig).  I tried DejaNews but had either thousands of
hits or none.  I don't know how to force engine to search for
doublequote (" - HTML escapes don't work) which would greatly narrow
the search range.

Salute.
--
                                              Grzegorz "Krecik" Nowakowski

`...this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the
Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded - their fundamental
design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.'
-- So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish -- Douglas Adams.

Looking for old article.

Post by David Griffi » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

:       Hi.

: A few moths ago there was an article in this newsgroup from some
: person wishing to see books introducing newbie to unix world.  Only
: thing I remember is that title of one of proposed books was something
: like "X is not a horror".  Does anyone have this article saved?  Or
: maybe original author has the copy.  If so, please send me it (at the
: address in the sig).  I tried DejaNews but had either thousands of
: hits or none.  I don't know how to force engine to search for
: doublequote (" - HTML escapes don't work) which would greatly narrow
: the search range.

"Unix for Dummies" seems good.  It has only occasional goofs (like
insinuating that login prompts always look like "ttys02 login: ".

--
David Griffith

1. X Windows and my old old old old video card

Hi. The card in question is an ISA ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (with the mach32
engine). The particular monitor that I'm using is an AST Vision 4L, and I
managed to root through the AST website (talk about counterintuitive!) so
I could get the horiz and vert scan lines etc. I can't seem to get X setup
right, when I run probe, it complains about a missing clocks line. Is
there any doc which can EXPLAIN xf86config? A man page helps, but getting
the theory fundas would be even nicer.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support the linux community
provides. Also, being something of a DOS/Windows junkie ;=( in the past,
i'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get my hands on info that'll
help me migrate better.

regards
Aniruddha Shankar
BAngalore, India

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Please HELP!!! S3 PROBLEM XF

3. Someone spewing old articles...

4. Solaris x86: Booting from Secondary HD?

5. More infos : inn : how to get all the articles of an old inn server

6. Filtering words

7. Good article running linux on old machines.

8. Can't get ConfigXF86 to work

9. "When IBM supports linux, watch out" - which old article?

10. find isnt finding old articles?

11. inn : how to get all the articles of an old inn server

12. Leafnode 1.4 does not delete old articles?

13. knode: how to get old articles?