David Stutz Resignation letter to MS.

Post by kd5ob » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 00:59:23

I'm very impressed with this man.

http://www.synthesist.net/writing/onleavingms.html

Microsoft's reluctance to adopt networked ways is understandable. Their
advantaged position has been built over the years by adhering to the
tenet that software running on a PC is the natural point at which to
integrate hardware and applications. Unfortunately, network protocols
have turned out to be a far better fit for this middleman role, and
Microsoft, intent on propping up the PC franchise, has had to resist
fully embracing the network integration model.

The term "PC franchise" is not just a soundbite; the number of programs
written for the PC that do something useful (drive a loom, control a
milling machine, create a spreadsheet template, edit a recording...) is
tremendous. But to continue leading the pack, Microsoft must innovate
quickly. If the PC is all that the future holds, then growth prospects
are bleak.

Recovering from current external perceptions of Microsoft as a paranoid,
untrustworthy, greedy, petty, and politically inept organization will
take years. Being the lowest cost commodity producer during such a
recovery will be arduous, and will have the side-effect of changing
Microsoft into a place where creative managers and accountants, rather
than visionaries, will call the shots.

I suspected there was anyone left at MS who had any intelligence.

And now that David Stutz has resigned, I'm certain there isn't.

--
Even before 9-11 happened, we had this.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/13/0249250&mode=thread&tid=172

Charlie

David Stutz Resignation letter to MS.

Post by firewoodmik » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:02:14

I especially like:

"Exciting new networked applications are being written. Time is not standing
still. Microsoft must survive and prosper by learning from the open source
software movement and by borrowing from and improving its techniques. Open
source software is as large and powerful a wave as the Internet was, and is
rapidly accreting into a legitimate alternative to Windows. "

Post by QUAD » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:16:44

> I especially like:

> "Exciting new networked applications are being written. Time is not standing
> still. Microsoft must survive and prosper by learning from the open source
> software movement and by borrowing from and improving its techniques. Open
> source software is as large and powerful a wave as the Internet was, and is
> rapidly accreting into a legitimate alternative to Windows. "

Yup GPL shuts them out, because MS can't steal from it like they can the
  BSD license.  TOo bad all of the really good stuff is happening under
GPL.

Post by Simon Cook » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:55:22

>> I especially like:

>> "Exciting new networked applications are being written. Time is not
>> standing still. Microsoft must survive and prosper by learning from
>> the open source software movement and by borrowing from and
>> improving its techniques. Open source software is as large and
>> powerful a wave as the Internet was, and is rapidly accreting into a
>> legitimate alternative to Windows. "

> Yup GPL shuts them out, because MS can't steal from it like they can
> the   BSD license.  TOo bad all of the really good stuff is happening
> under GPL.

Examples?

--
Coming Soon: UNSEALED

David Stutz Resignation letter to MS.

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:00:41

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Simon Cooke

 wrote
on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 00:55:22 GMT

>>> I especially like:

>>> "Exciting new networked applications are being written. Time is not
>>> standing still. Microsoft must survive and prosper by learning from
>>> the open source software movement and by borrowing from and
>>> improving its techniques. Open source software is as large and
>>> powerful a wave as the Internet was, and is rapidly accreting into a
>>> legitimate alternative to Windows. "

>> Yup GPL shuts them out, because MS can't steal from it like they can
>> the   BSD license.  TOo bad all of the really good stuff is happening
>> under GPL.

> Examples?

GPL does not shut them out at all.  It merely means that, when
asked, that they provide a link to the vendor managing the
GPL'ed source code.

The key words here being "when asked". :-)  (I'm not entirely
certain what to do about versioning.  Obviously, many GPL
systems use CVS, publishing stable code bases on occasion.
Microsoft can take one of those code bases for building purposes.
It is unclear whether they'd have to provide the version number
for that codebase together with a pointer to the CVS anonymous
readonly root, or the *actual source code*.  GPL doesn't mention
CVS or versioning.)

As for good stuff -- good question.  MONO is the one that comes
most readily to mind, but Gnome, gEDA, and KDE are also there.
There's also a lot of stuff under Sourceforge and Freshmeat, of
varying usefulness.

What does Microsoft have?

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

David Stutz Resignation letter to MS.

Post by Seymour » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:14:04

   at 09:00 PM, The Ghost In The Machine

Quote:>GPL does not shut them out at all.  It merely means that, when asked,
>that they provide a link to the vendor managing the GPL'ed source
>code.

Only if they haven't modified it. If they've modified it, then they
must suppy the modified version that corresponds to their binary.

Quote:>GPL doesn't mention CVS or versioning.)

IANAL, but I suspect that if they provide a link to a CVS site that
delivers source code identical to the source code that they used, then
they are compliant with the GPL requirement.

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me.  Do not