Microsoft Removal 101, newsFACTOR.com

Post by Daero » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:24:34

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21694.html
Microsoft Removal 101
Vincent Ryan,  June 10 2003

"The move to Linux is not a stampede. Linux is nibbling at the fringes,"
Laura Didio, senior analyst at the Yankee Group, told NewsFactor, but a
"rip and replace" removal of Windows from the desktop is still very much
the exception rather than the rule.

Organizations thinking of terminating Windows desktop licenses and
removing the de facto industry standard operating system from their
networks finally have a legitimate basis for undertaking such a
high-risk switch. Linux desktop distributions are gaining in momentum
and functionality, and Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) controversial
licensing policies are making Windows maintenance costly.

So, is Microsoft removal possible? Although the labor and costs required
to make such a switch can be daunting, some organizations -- guitar
string manufacturer Ernie Ball, for example -- have made successful
attempts. But for most organizations, removing Microsoft from the
desktop may seem so difficult that they give up before they even try.
---

Making the Switch

Despite all the hurdles, there are companies defying the odds.
Guitar-string manufacturer Ernie Ball was highly motivated to become
Windows-free: Three years ago, it had to pay US$90,000 because 8 percent
of its Microsoft software was "noncompliant," or pirated. Microsoft
subsequently ran a press release and an ad campaign around Ernie Ball's
infringement. Infuriated by how the company was treated, Ernie Ball
executives decided to clean house.
---

Hardware Savings

According to Ernie Ball's estimate, in the first year it saved $90,000
that it would have spent upgrading desktop machines for Windows and
buying new Windows licenses. "Most of our machines worked fine as thin
clients, but they wouldn't have been able to run the newer Windows
stuff," Whitmore said.
-------

Post by Paul Cook » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:04:24

> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21694.html
> Microsoft Removal 101
> Vincent Ryan,  June 10 2003

> "The move to Linux is not a stampede. Linux is nibbling at the fringes,"
> Laura Didio, senior analyst at the Yankee Group, told NewsFactor, but a
> "rip and replace" removal of Windows from the desktop is still very much
> the exception rather than the rule.

> Organizations thinking of terminating Windows desktop licenses and
> removing the de facto industry standard operating system from their
> networks finally have a legitimate basis for undertaking such a high-risk
> switch. Linux desktop distributions are gaining in momentum and
> functionality, and Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) controversial licensing
> policies are making Windows maintenance costly.

> So, is Microsoft removal possible? Although the labor and costs required
> to make such a switch can be daunting, some organizations -- guitar
> string manufacturer Ernie Ball, for example -- have made successful
> attempts. But for most organizations, removing Microsoft from the desktop
> may seem so difficult that they give up before they even try.
> ---

> Making the Switch

> Despite all the hurdles, there are companies defying the odds. Guitar-
> string manufacturer Ernie Ball was highly motivated to become Windows-
> free: Three years ago, it had to pay US$90,000 because 8 percent of its
> Microsoft software was "noncompliant," or pirated. Microsoft subsequently
> ran a press release and an ad campaign around Ernie Ball's infringement.
> Infuriated by how the company was treated, Ernie Ball executives decided
> to clean house.
> ---

> Hardware Savings

> According to Ernie Ball's estimate, in the first year it saved $90,000
> that it would have spent upgrading desktop machines for Windows and
> buying new Windows licenses. "Most of our machines worked fine as thin
> clients, but they wouldn't have been able to run the newer Windows
> stuff," Whitmore said.
> -------

if you want a nice list of firms who've successfully switched part or all
of their business onto Linux, you can do no worse than the following
site...

<http://www.suse.co.uk/uk/company/customer_references/index.html>

lots of good examples there...

1. U.S. To Probe Microsoft Passport Flaw -- NEWSFACTOR.com

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21481.html
U.S. To Probe Microsoft Passport Flaw
Keith Regan  --  May 09 2003

Although potential financial losses would be unlikely to dent
Microsoft's cash- heavy wallet, public relations damage as a result of
the revelation could be far more worrisome to the software giant.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) plans to review whether Microsoft
(Nasdaq: MSFT) violated a consent agreement with the agency over the
privacy of its Passport online password system, following the
revelation of a flaw that could have compromised millions of
consumers' private data.
----

But Passport also has been the focus of controversy for some time.
Last August, Microsoft settled FTC charges alleging that Passport did
not effectively protect personal data.
....... unquote .......

2. 486 laptop apm problems

3. microsoft patch -- NEWSFACTOR.com/

4. Low colors in KDE

5. Microsoft embraces Linux -- NEWSFACTOR.com

6. KDE backspace/delete problem

7. home backlash for Microsoft -- NEWSFACTOR.com

8. How do I do this in Korn? (it's easy in Bourne)

9. Microsoft Removal 101

10. Aberdeen Analyst Finds SCO's Claims Tough To Verify, newsFactor.com

11. Analyst Finds SCO's Claims Tough To Verify, newsFACTOR.com

12. "We will disavow any knowledge of this product" -- NEWSFACTOR.com

13. Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me' -- NEWSFACTOR.com