Hackers trying to attack Oracle's web site

Hackers trying to attack Oracle's web site

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:18:36

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/12/09/oracle.unbreakable.reut/i...

<QUOTE>
So far the Oracle fortress is holding up, mostly because the attackers
are trying to break in by exploiting potential holes in Windows NT and
Oracle is running Oracle 9i Application Server on Unix, according to
Jarvis.

"People are sending attacks to Oracle.com to try to find the NT bugs,
but sadly it's like a fly hitting a wind screen. The wind screen
doesn't budge," Jarvis said.

"Microsoft doesn't even use NT on their own Web site. They use Unix,"
he added. "It's rather ironic."
</QUOTE>

Gee, and here I thought NT just appeared more vulnerable because it was
attacked more often, a bigger target, etc. etc. apologize apologize.

Hackers trying to attack Oracle's web site

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 03:24:35

Long lines folded where necessary.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Donn Miller

 wrote
on Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:18:36 -0500

Quote:> http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/12/09/oracle.unbreakable.reut/\
> index.html

> <QUOTE>
> So far the Oracle fortress is holding up, mostly because the attackers
> are trying to break in by exploiting potential holes in Windows NT and
> Oracle is running Oracle 9i Application Server on Unix, according to
> Jarvis.

> "People are sending attacks to Oracle.com to try to find the NT bugs,
> but sadly it's like a fly hitting a wind screen. The wind screen
> doesn't budge," Jarvis said.

> "Microsoft doesn't even use NT on their own Web site. They use Unix,"
> he added. "It's rather ironic."
> </QUOTE>

Which website is that?  www.microsoft.com => www.microsoft.akadns.net
=> 207.46.197.113 is using IIS 6.0:

bash-2.05a$ telnet www.microsoft.com 80
Trying 207.46.197.113...
Connected to www.microsoft.akadns.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:21:09 GMT
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.

Quote:

> Gee, and here I thought NT just appeared more vulnerable because it was
> attacked more often, a bigger target, etc. etc. apologize apologize.

EAC code #191       3d:19h:53m actually running Linux.
                    The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.