Linux uptime rollovers.

Post by Jim Richardso » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:30:25

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
A bad day, is when aliens attack, the dog bites you, and your boss tells

Linux uptime rollovers.

Post by Edgar Alle » Mon, 03 Mar 2003 02:04:44

Quote:

> As an aside, Micros~1 used to run a competing service, (which they
> bought from someone else) called sidewalk, But it looks like Citysearch
> bought sidewalk from Micros~1 a few years ago. <http://www.sidewalk.com>
> redirects you to the same IP serving citysearch.

    An example demonstrating that you cannot make money _with_ WinDOS,
    only by selling temporary licenses to use it.

    Not even MS can make money by just using it.

    See Wintrolls ?  It sounds as dumb when the table is turned.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|  Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.  |

Linux uptime rollovers.

Post by Ilari Liusvaar » Sun, 02 Mar 2003 20:20:42

Datagram from Jim Richardson incoming on netlink socket

Quote:

> Now, it's possible, that both machines rebooted, at approx 497 days,
> (one machine, shows a max uptime of 496.09 days. ) But I'd guess, and
> that's all it is, that it simply rolled over, and is happily trundling
> it's way to another year of uptime. Sweet.

2^32 centiseconds is 497.10 days. Are times when those runs began avilable?
If so, one could use them as hint wheither it was rollover or reboot. It can't
rule out reboot enterely (too inaccurate, <5-second granularity would be
needed), but it can serve as strong hint.

-Ilari
--
Yup. It is the completion which drives advancement. Monopolies deter
it. -- Ilari Liusvaara

1. Uptime rollover, How to tell real uptime?

I have a linux system running 1.2.8  gcc 2.6.3 compiled Dec 28 95
According to the var/adm/messages file it was last booted on
Jan. 2, 1996. This would put the uptime at around 800 days.

Somewhere after 460 days the uptime counter must have rolled over
as the uptime given with "w" started again with low numbers.

I know it was not rebooted as there are daemons running that I started
by hand and are not in scripts.

Is there a way to get the real uptime?

Also I plan to shut it down soon as I am getting scared of fire
hazard due to lots of dust. The internal fan went out a year ago
and I have hung another fan on the back for cooling.

Is this maybe a record uptime??
Dale

Phone:(916)356-5332                     I speak only for myself

2. Redhat 6.2 - COMPS file/Custom Install problem

3. jiffies rollover, uptime etc.

4. Adding swap space to Sparc 20

5. Red Hat 4.1 uptime rollover?

6. Problems with TIN newsreader

7. How does uptime.netcraft.com know my uptime?

8. Using Gdb for multithread debug

9. Kernel "jiffies" roll-over

10. time_t and 2038 date roll-over

11. Process rollover