Barnes & Noble and the Linux Journal

Post by Mark Jackso » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
where I live.

Anyone?

Barnes & Noble and the Linux Journal

Post by MirarFen » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Strange, they have them and B&N in the St. Louis area.  Border's too.

Mira

Barnes & Noble and the Linux Journal

Post by David M. Co » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
>there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
>where I live.

Same here in Escondido, CA.

Dave Cook

Barnes & Noble and the Linux Journal

Post by NeverEnoug » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Even available in Manfield Ohio !!!!  Can you believe that?

Quote:> I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
> there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
> where I live.

> Anyone?

Barnes & Noble and the Linux Journal

Post by Ron Steige » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Oops----> That's Mansfield, Ohio
...............................^

Quote:> Even available in Manfield Ohio !!!!  Can you believe that?

Post by Phil Ptkwt Krist » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
>there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
>where I live.

They must be selling like 'hot-cakes' there so they're running out ;-)

I haven't checked B&N, but they have 'em at Powell's (big bookstore in
Portland, OR).  I always put them in front of the Windoze oriented
magazines ;-)

pt

Post by v_.. » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
> >there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
> >where I live.

> They must be selling like 'hot-cakes' there so they're running out ;-)

> I haven't checked B&N, but they have 'em at Powell's (big bookstore in
> Portland, OR).  I always put them in front of the Windoze oriented
> magazines ;-)

> pt

They sell them here in Raleigh, NC. Fortunately Bookstar is smart enough
to put them in front of the windows junk themselves.

                                Mike

Post by Daniel Joyc » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
> >there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
> >where I live.

> They must be selling like 'hot-cakes' there so they're running out ;-)

> I haven't checked B&N, but they have 'em at Powell's (big bookstore in
> Portland, OR).  I always put them in front of the Windoze oriented
> magazines ;-)

> pt

        They are selling faster. If you don;t get there within a few days, the
few issues they have are gone. But sometimes they reorder. It seems to
be selling quite well, for a mag on a free OS.

        -Daniel

Post by David Finto » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
> there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
> where I live.

> Anyone?

Just bought one a few days back from the Barnes and Nobles in Duluth,
MN.

                                - Dave

Barnes & Noble and the Linux Journal

Post by Mark Bicke » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I tried to get them at either of the B&N here in Plano, TX
(Dallas suburb) and they won't carry them. Strange, since
Plano/Richardson is a real high-tech, yuppie area, what with
Nortel, Ericsson, Fujitsu, DSC, Alcatel, TI/Raytheon, EDS. et.al.
all having major operations here. Oh well, at least we have
MicroCenter here, which has a pretty decent tech bookstore
and they do carry Linux Journal and SysAdmin mags, and have
greatly expanded their "Unix and OS/2 OS and SW" section.
They'e carrying at least 8 different Linux dist. packages.

Listen, people: I use to waste time trying to hunt LJ down
on the newsstands and finally got smart and subscribed.
Save money and time, it's only $22/year, plus they throw in the
annual Buyers Guide gratis. You'll be glad you did!

Cheers,

Post by Dan Caughert » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > I haven't checked B&N, but they have 'em at Powell's (big bookstore in
> > Portland, OR).  I always put them in front of the Windoze oriented
> > magazines ;-)

> > pt
> They sell them here in Raleigh, NC. Fortunately Bookstar is smart enough
> to put them in front of the windows junk themselves.

And in Cary, where a VERY large B&N is, RedHat Linux and Applixware
have their own section of shelf space, next to as many Linux books
as you'd ever want.  (They even stock the MkLinux for Macintosh book
every so often.)

Q: What's the difference between Windows NT and Linux?
A: About two hundred bucks. Will that be Red Hat, Caldera, or
   Slackware?

--

| Dan Caugherty                  | All opinions herein are MINE only.|
| Member of Sci. Staff, Irritant,| Remove dog from address to reply. |

Post by bik » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>I used to go to Barnes & Noble to buy my Linux Journal.  I noticed
>>there are no "Linux Journals" on the stands at Barnes & Noble now,
>>where I live.

>They must be selling like 'hot-cakes' there so they're running out ;-)

:)

Quote:>I haven't checked B&N, but they have 'em at Powell's (big bookstore in
>Portland, OR).

They have them at the B&N here (saw them yesterday).

Quote:> I always put them in front of the Windoze oriented
>magazines ;-)

Yeah, that's cool.  Not only does it create more work for the clerks, but it's
just plain childish.

Chris

Quote:

>pt

1. open call to boycott Barnes & Noble

to all Unix and Linux users.

This is an open call to tell everyone you know not to go buy books from
Barnes&Noble anymore.

I urge all to stop going to this store.

Not only they have removed almost all the Unix/Linux books from their
shelves, they refuse to listen to us Linux/Unix users and to get more
Unix books.

Lets teach them a listen. If all of us become united on this, and we all
stop buying anything from them, that will teach them not to ignore us and
treate us like this.  This is an insult to all of us UNIX users who want to
have a selection of computer books other than windows junk.

I for one have stopped spending another dim at that store, and looking for
nother store to spend my money on. And I also have just returned all my books
I have bought from them in the last few months after finding out what they
have done.

United we win.  Lets do it!

long live the GNU/UNIX/Linux free software movment force.

norm

2. Diald question...

3. Barnes & Noble Best Seller List

4. does linux work on PS/note

5. Linux Tomes Lose Shelf Space at Barnes and Noble

6. Changing Colour Depth in X

7. Linux Journal/Free Software Journal?

8. Slot for 21264

9. Journal Review - Linux Journal

10. Linux Press & Linux Journal Good News

11. Linux Journal arrives. WTG Phil & company!

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.