Microsoft suing Lindows!! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Microsoft suing Lindows!! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Post by Anonymou » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:19:50

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8246647.html?tag=mn_hd

This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen!
Mighty Microsoft complaining about some small time
Linux company calling themselves Lindows trying to sell their own version of
Linux with Wine!

It's a very appropriate name though.

L I N U X
L I N D O W S
W I N D O W S

I can suggest an alternative.

L I N D O Z E

It's got the same sound as L I N D O W S
but two letters are different instead of just
one.

They can argue that L-I-N matches with Linux
no conflict there, and the "Z" isn't even
in the word "W-I-N-D-O-W-S" so the majority
of the letters, 4 letters out of 7,
aren't even derived from the the word WINDOWS
at all!

Ha ha ha! Let's see the Microsoft lawyers argue
over that one!
:-)

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Post by Amaz » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:51:02

> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8246647.html?tag=mn_hd

> This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen!
> Mighty Microsoft complaining about some small time
> Linux company calling themselves Lindows trying to sell their own version
> of Linux with Wine!

> It's a very appropriate name though.

> L I N U X
> L I N D O W S
> W I N D O W S

> I can suggest an alternative.

> L I N D O Z E

> It's got the same sound as L I N D O W S
> but two letters are different instead of just
> one.

> They can argue that L-I-N matches with Linux
> no conflict there, and the "Z" isn't even
> in the word "W-I-N-D-O-W-S" so the majority
> of the letters, 4 letters out of 7,
> aren't even derived from the the word WINDOWS
> at all!

> Ha ha ha! Let's see the Microsoft lawyers argue
> over that one!
> :-)

This sound familiar.  They're playing Apple this time around I guess.  What
are they going to argue?  I looks and sounds like Windows...customers are
too stupid to know the difference.  They won the "look and feel" case, now
they're crying wolf over a similar situation...attacking a start-up of  all
things.
--
The breakfast of champions is opposition

Microsoft suing Lindows!! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Post by Michael Si » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:35:16

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:19:50 -0500, Anonymous

>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8246647.html?tag=mn_hd

>This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen!

This is a great quote from Michael Robertson, the founder of the
Lindows company:

<quote>
Robertson characterized the move as another attempt by Microsoft to
thwart a viable threat to its Windows empire.

"If they're alleging that people are going to be confusing Microsoft
Corp. with Lindows.com, I think there's zero potential of that
happening," he said. "If people are confused, just remember that we're
not the convicted monopolist."
</quote>

This man is my new personal hero. :-)
Michael Sims
mhsims at midsouth dot rr dot com
"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:57:48

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen! Mighty Microsoft
> complaining about some small time Linux company calling themselves
> Lindows trying to sell their own version of Linux with Wine!

It's too late for Microsoft to start policing their rather questionable
rights to that trademark now.  They should've sued MIT's Project Athena
and the X Consortium eigh* years ago.  The term "Windows" has now
passed into generic use just like the terms "aspirin" and "xerox".  This
threat of legal action won't have any measurable effect unless Lindows
buckles under and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

Microsoft suing Lindows!! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Post by Chris Ahlstr » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:14:34

At the Mokena town meeting, Anonymous stood up and made this motion:

Quote:> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8246647.html?tag=mn_hd

> This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen!
> Mighty Microsoft complaining about some small time
> Linux company calling themselves Lindows trying to sell their own version of
> Linux with Wine!

> It's a very appropriate name though.

> L I N U X
> L I N D O W S
> W I N D O W S

Microsoft doesn't have a leg to stand on.  I'm going to start
a McRonald's franchise.

--
Living large and loving Linux!

Post by Anonymou » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:45:19

> This
> threat of legal action won't have any measurable effect unless Lindows
> buckles under and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

Unfortunately, the legal action itself
may sabotage Lindows.com before it ever gets
off the ground.  Litigation can be very expensive.

I just hope that some small business advocacy
organization helps them out in some way.

Or maybe the judge can force Microsoft to
pay for Lindows.com's attorney fees and add some
additional compensation for wasting their time.

Post by Joe the Arom » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:53:33

> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8246647.html?tag=mn_hd

> This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen!
> Mighty Microsoft complaining about some small time
> Linux company calling themselves Lindows trying to sell their own version of
> Linux with Wine!

> It's a very appropriate name though.

> L I N U X
> L I N D O W S
> W I N D O W S

> I can suggest an alternative.

> L I N D O Z E

> It's got the same sound as L I N D O W S
> but two letters are different instead of just
> one.

> They can argue that L-I-N matches with Linux
> no conflict there, and the "Z" isn't even
> in the word "W-I-N-D-O-W-S" so the majority
> of the letters, 4 letters out of 7,
> aren't even derived from the the word WINDOWS
> at all!

> Ha ha ha! Let's see the Microsoft lawyers argue
> over that one!
> :-)

>  Check out our new Unlimited Server. No Download or Time Limits!
> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Someone at /. said that it should be called "Lackintosh" which made me LOL.

--
Who the hell is Joe the Aroma???

Post by Jim LasCo » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:48:13

> > This
> > threat of legal action won't have any measurable effect unless Lindows
> > buckles under and snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

> Unfortunately, the legal action itself
> may sabotage Lindows.com before it ever gets
> off the ground.  Litigation can be very expensive.

Ahh you mean like Creative labs did to Aureal Keep em in court till
they run out of cash then buy their ideas for peanuts and use em or in
Microshits favor Destroy em or kill em

Wouldnt put it past micrsoft to pull a bullshit attack like this

Jim
:W!
zz
:X!

Post by Ian Pege » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:41:35

Quote:> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8246647.html?tag=mn_hd

> This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen! Mighty Microsoft
> complaining about some small time Linux company calling themselves
> Lindows trying to sell their own version of Linux with Wine!

> It's a very appropriate name though.

> L I N U X
> L I N D O W S
> W I N D O W S

> I can suggest an alternative.

> L I N D O Z E

> It's got the same sound as L I N D O W S but two letters are different
> instead of just one.

> They can argue that L-I-N matches with Linux no conflict there, and the
> "Z" isn't even in the word "W-I-N-D-O-W-S" so the majority of the
> letters, 4 letters out of 7,
> aren't even derived from the the word WINDOWS at all!

> Ha ha ha! Let's see the Microsoft lawyers argue over that one! :-)

And what am I to call those glass things in wooden frames set into the
exterior walls of my house without infringing MS's copyright?

--
Ian
"He knows his onions"

Microsoft suing Lindows!! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Post by mark » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:35:38

<SNIP>
LOL the man is a champion. I hope he wins out in the end. Legal action by
a billion dollar company would definately be uncomfortable.

On the upside it may generate some publicity for their product.

Quote:> "If they're alleging that people are going to be confusing Microsoft
> Corp. with Lindows.com, I think there's zero potential of that
> happening," he said. "If people are confused, just remember that we're
> not the convicted monopolist."
> </quote>

> This man is my new personal hero. :-)
> Michael Sims
> mhsims at midsouth dot rr dot com
> "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Microsoft suing Lindows!! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Post by Arthu » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 02:26:38

Dear Mr. "Sims(TM)":

Dewey, Cheatem and Howe is counsel for Maxis Corporation,
maker of "SimCity(TM)" and the "Sims(TM)" games. It has
come to our attention that you are posting under a name
that is confusingly similar to our client's valuable
intellectual property, namely the "Sims(TM)". Like most
large corporations, our client believes their customers
are too stupid to distinguish between a computer game
and a live indvidual (if indeed you are, or pretend to
be one).

You must cease and desist the use of this name in
any and all Internet activities immediately. Penalties
for continued misuse of our client's valuable intellectual
property may include *, execution, or we'll tell
your mommy.

Sincerely,

Dewey, Cheatem and Howe

Post by Amaz » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:00:02

> You must cease and desist the use of this name in
> any and all Internet activities immediately. Penalties
> for continued misuse of our client's valuable intellectual
> property may include *, execution, or we'll tell
> your mommy.

That's funny but a similar case actually happened like that in the U.K.  The
McDonalds franchise started suing Irish restraunt owners for using their own
name or using "Mc" at the begining of their food titles.

Post by Arthu » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:00:18

>>You must cease and desist the use of this name in
>>any and all Internet activities immediately. Penalties
>>for continued misuse of our client's valuable intellectual
>>property may include *, execution, or we'll tell
>>your mommy.
> That's funny but a similar case actually happened like that in the U.K.  The
> McDonalds franchise started suing Irish restraunt owners for using their own
> name or using "Mc" at the begining of their food titles.

Yep, there have been other "sim(TM)"ilar cases too where people
couldn't use their last names in a URL. Then there was the one
where a guy had to quit using the name "corinthians" for his
collection of Bible verse, because it was the same as the name
of a Brazilian soccer team.

Arthur

Post by Ian Pege » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:06:21

>> You must cease and desist the use of this name in any and all Internet
>> activities immediately. Penalties for continued misuse of our client's
>> valuable intellectual property may include *, execution, or
>> we'll tell your mommy.

> That's funny but a similar case actually happened like that in the U.K.
> The McDonalds franchise started suing Irish restraunt owners for using
> their own name or using "Mc" at the begining of their food titles.

Also, everyone's UK "favourite" beardy, Richard Branson went after Dave
* whose name and business name (*s Builders or such like) he
deemed to be likely to mislead.

--
Ian
"He knows his onions"