SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

Post by Zaur » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:51:03

No way on planet earth is this program ready for the desktop. While it
seems to include more programs than I would ever need, many of them
don't even work when I install them.
I can't get my soundblaster audigy to work right and when I play
videos they skip all over the place.
I've made nothing but coasters using the primitive cd burner programs.
Is it too much to ask for a programs as easy to use as EZCD or Nero
for linux?
Linux programs are a pain in the ass to figure out how to use. I don't
even look at Windows documentation because I don't have to, everything
is very easy to use and it works.
The mp3 player xmms is another piece of garbage. If I use oss output
the sound skips and if I use artsd output the thing freezes up all the
time.

The CD player with kde seems to be playing the cd but I don't hear any
sound, and the volume controls are turned up and the little wire is
attached from CD to sound card.

DVD's skip like crazy and stutter when I do anything else while
watching them.

I can't get Mozilla or conqueror to work with many of the sites I
vist. I think something was left out of them and they look so *ing
ugly as well.

The connection to my Zaurus was floogied as well and half the time the
program didn't work.
What a *ing mess./

I was just starting to make some progress getting my HP scammer to
work when I decided to do that online up date program.
Big mstake because it hosed my entire system including the boot
program so I couldn't even boot my windows system.

I had to boot my Windows xp cd in order to recover everything.

I can't see how on earth anybody with half a *ing brain cell would
want to subject themselves to this piece of garbage.
Linux gives the term user un-friendly a bad name.

Say no to Linux before you destroy your valuble data and waste your
time.
Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
out your eyeballs reading doc.

rap

SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

Post by Fish » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:01:05

Quote:> No way on planet earth is this program ready for the desktop. While it
> seems to include more programs than I would ever need, many of them
> don't even work when I install them.

[snip]

You've never installed SuSE or any other flava of Linux on your machine,
have you? Why not come back when you have.

:)

Fish

SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

Post by R.F. Pel » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:56:02

T R O L L !

Quote:> No way on planet earth is this program ready for the desktop. While it
> seems to include more programs than I would ever need, many of them
> don't even work when I install them.
> I can't get my soundblaster audigy to work right and when I play
> videos they skip all over the place.
> I've made nothing but coasters using the primitive cd burner programs.
> Is it too much to ask for a programs as easy to use as EZCD or Nero
> for linux?

k3b?

Quote:> Linux programs are a pain in the ass to figure out how to use. I don't
> even look at Windows documentation because I don't have to, everything
> is very easy to use and it works.

Sooo, you don't want to find out, right. Lazy b*****d. Plus: how many blue
screens and drwhatevers did you have lately burning ceedees?

Quote:> The mp3 player xmms is another piece of garbage. If I use oss output
> the sound skips and if I use artsd output the thing freezes up all the
> time.

Tried Noatun? Tried Realplayer?

Quote:> The CD player with kde seems to be playing the cd but I don't hear any
> sound, and the volume controls are turned up and the little wire is
> attached from CD to sound card.

Ah. Old CDROM. Soooo, old hardware, didn't check the HCL,

Quote:> I can't get Mozilla or conqueror to work with many of the sites I
> vist. I think something was left out of them and they look so *ing
> ugly as well.

Mozilla sucks bigtime fontwise. Install a bunch of truetype files and
Konqueror does fine

Quote:> The connection to my Zaurus was floogied as well and half the time the
> program didn't work.
> What a *ing mess./

> I was just starting to make some progress getting my HP scammer to
> work when I decided to do that online up date program.
> Big mstake because it hosed my entire system including the boot
> program so I couldn't even boot my windows system.

> I had to boot my Windows xp cd in order to recover everything.

Well, there's your problem.

Quote:> I can't see how on earth anybody with half a *ing brain cell would
> want to subject themselves to this piece of garbage.
> Linux gives the term user un-friendly a bad name.

> Say no to Linux before you destroy your valuble data and waste your
> time. Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
> out your eyeballs reading doc.

Yeah well. It tells you to f*****g back up your stuff before attempting
anything, does it. Just RTFM. We all do.

--

Ruurd

SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

Post by SR » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:07:54

[CUT]

Quote:

> Yeah well. It tells you to f*****g back up your stuff before attempting
> anything, does it. Just RTFM. We all do.

Don't feed the trolls...

Post by Peter Karlsso » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:19:12

Quote:> No way on planet earth is this program ready for the desktop.

[snip]

"...this program..."

This program?! Even the first line gave you away.

*plink*

// Peter
--
My email address is munged. Drop YOUR PANTS...
Registered GNU/Linux User # 279409 (http://counter.li.org)

Post by Ian Potte » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:29:50

> T R O L L !

>> No way on planet earth is this program ready for the desktop. While it
>> seems to include more programs than I would ever need, many of them
>> don't even work when I install them.
>> I can't get my soundblaster audigy to work right and when I play
>> videos they skip all over the place.
>> I've made nothing but coasters using the primitive cd burner programs.
>> Is it too much to ask for a programs as easy to use as EZCD or Nero
>> for linux?

> k3b?

This is just so much of the same old mince- and I'm pissed after the office
night out so forgive the typos- I mean for *s sake you'd think they'd find a
nw record by now. I've never made a coaster with either linux or Win2k+ that
was not down to flakey hardware or my own mistakes. Xcdroast works as well as
Roxoio for any task.

Quote:

>> Linux programs are a pain in the ass to figure out how to use. I don't
>> even look at Windows documentation because I don't have to, everything
>> is very easy to use and it works.

> Sooo, you don't want to find out, right. Lazy b*****d. Plus: how many blue
> screens and drwhatevers did you have lately burning ceedees?

He doesn't read the documentation because he has a helpdesk to hold his hand
while he works. Oh, ain't that sweet...

Oh by the way, they despise him and they arn't his friend, they're just paid to
say it!

Quote:>> The mp3 player xmms is another piece of garbage. If I use oss output
>> the sound skips and if I use artsd output the thing freezes up all the
>> time.

> Tried Noatun? Tried Realplayer?

This is just too much, I was playing mp3s off a cd, winamp was skipping every so
often. Solution?  Share the damn cd over samba and play it in winamp, not a
*ie...

Quote:>> The CD player with kde seems to be playing the cd but I don't hear any
>> sound, and the volume controls are turned up and the little wire is
>> attached from CD to sound card.

> Ah. Old CDROM. Soooo, old hardware, didn't check the HCL,

Nah, just a total misunderstanding of anything remotely approaching the real
world. Think, earlier they mentioned an audigy sound card, doesn't matter what
cdrom they use, it is trivial to get the set up to work.

Quote:>> I can't get Mozilla or conqueror to work with many of the sites I
>> vist. I think something was left out of them and they look so *ing
>> ugly as well.

> Mozilla sucks bigtime fontwise. Install a bunch of truetype files and
> Konqueror does fine

Galeon cvs on Gentoo, nice...

Quote:>> The connection to my Zaurus was floogied as well and half the time the
>> program didn't work.
>> What a *ing mess./

>> I was just starting to make some progress getting my HP scammer to
>> work when I decided to do that online up date program.
>> Big mstake because it hosed my entire system including the boot
>> program so I couldn't even boot my windows system.

>> I had to boot my Windows xp cd in order to recover everything.

> Well, there's your problem.

yeah, like you could recover anything from an ext3 partition from WinXP. The
reverse though...?

Quote:>> I can't see how on earth anybody with half a *ing brain cell would
>> want to subject themselves to this piece of garbage.
>> Linux gives the term user un-friendly a bad name.

>> Say no to Linux before you destroy your valuble data and waste your
>> time. Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
>> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
>> out your eyeballs reading doc.

> Yeah well. It tells you to f*****g back up your stuff before attempting
> anything, does it. Just RTFM. We all do.

Before anyone points out to me how useless it is to respond to such a troll,
just remember, I'm pissed and don't care...

--
Ian Potter
"There is such a thing as acceptable losses,

SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

Post by Dave Leig » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 04:22:57

Zaurus wrote on Thursday 19 December 2002 19:51 in message

[snip]

Quote:> Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
> out your eyeballs reading doc.

That is, if you're a lot dumber or lazier than the many, many people for
whom it works. In which case, you don't need any SuSE docs to wear out your
eyeballs... the Microsoft EULA beat them to it.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Post by Conor Turto » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:59:02

Quote:> Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
> out your eyeballs reading doc.

Shame that what is on the box is the default scheme you thick stupid
bastard. * me, I only tried the "run from CD" Live Evaluation
version and the desktop looked brilliant.

--
_________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
_________________________

Post by Conor Turto » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 04:00:02

Quote:> Linux programs are a pain in the ass to figure out how to use. I don't
> even look at Windows documentation because I don't have to, everything
> is very easy to use and it works.

Windows XP. A Tellytubbies OS for tellytubies mental capacity. I
believe tellytubbies is on right after Sesame Street.

--
_________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
_________________________

SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

Bill G. is that you ?

Post by Dave Leig » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:01:43

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:22:57 -0500, Dave Leigh

>>Zaurus wrote on Thursday 19 December 2002 19:51 in message

>>[snip]

>>> Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
>>> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
>>> out your eyeballs reading doc.

>>That is, if you're a lot dumber or lazier than the many, many people for
>>whom it works. In which case, you don't need any SuSE docs to wear out
>>your eyeballs... the Microsoft EULA beat them to it.
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Who reads that?

> I'd rather read the tax code.

:)
Then again, you're neither dumb nor lazy, you read the docs and you're
getting things to work. Congratulations! You've already done more than
Zaurus could accomplish in a lifetime!

--

Post by Tom Hamilto » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 05:26:55

> No way on planet earth is this program ready for the desktop. While it
> seems to include more programs than I would ever need, many of them
> don't even work when I install them.
> I can't get my soundblaster audigy to work right and when I play
> videos they skip all over the place.
> I've made nothing but coasters using the primitive cd burner programs.
> Is it too much to ask for a programs as easy to use as EZCD or Nero
> for linux?
> Linux programs are a pain in the ass to figure out how to use. I don't
> even look at Windows documentation because I don't have to, everything
> is very easy to use and it works.
> The mp3 player xmms is another piece of garbage. If I use oss output
> the sound skips and if I use artsd output the thing freezes up all the
> time.

> The CD player with kde seems to be playing the cd but I don't hear any
> sound, and the volume controls are turned up and the little wire is
> attached from CD to sound card.

> DVD's skip like crazy and stutter when I do anything else while
> watching them.

> I can't get Mozilla or conqueror to work with many of the sites I
> vist. I think something was left out of them and they look so *ing
> ugly as well.

> The connection to my Zaurus was floogied as well and half the time the
> program didn't work.
> What a *ing mess./

> I was just starting to make some progress getting my HP scammer to
> work when I decided to do that online up date program.
> Big mstake because it hosed my entire system including the boot
> program so I couldn't even boot my windows system.

> I had to boot my Windows xp cd in order to recover everything.

> I can't see how on earth anybody with half a *ing brain cell would
> want to subject themselves to this piece of garbage.
> Linux gives the term user un-friendly a bad name.

> Say no to Linux before you destroy your valuble data and waste your
> time.
> Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
> out your eyeballs reading doc.

> rap

Title should be "Zaurus not ready for Suse 8.1"

SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

Post by rapska » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:22:22

begin  Error log for Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:51:03 -0800, segfault in module
"Zaurus": dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Say no to Linux before you destroy your valuble data and waste your
> time.
> Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was. You'll
> never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear out your
> eyeballs reading doc.

> rap

blah.

What you say and what I experience don't coencide.  I will take experience
over unfounded chatter anyday.

--
rapskat -  23:19:18  up 1 day,  9:39,  1 user,  load average: 0.14, 0.16, 0.11
Running LGX - Linux + GNU + XFree86: Gentoo flavored

My LESLIE*record is BROKEN ...

Post by GreyClou » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:14:43

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:22:57 -0500, Dave Leigh

> >Zaurus wrote on Thursday 19 December 2002 19:51 in message

> >[snip]

> >> Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
> >> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
> >> out your eyeballs reading doc.

> >That is, if you're a lot dumber or lazier than the many, many people for
> >whom it works. In which case, you don't need any SuSE docs to wear out your
> >eyeballs... the Microsoft EULA beat them to it.
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Who reads that?

> I'd rather read the tax code.

That's how people got screwed by M$.  They didn't read the
fine print.

Post by cybea » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:02:36

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:22:57 -0500, Dave Leigh

>>Zaurus wrote on Thursday 19 December 2002 19:51 in message

>>[snip]

>>> Don't be tempted by the nice pictures on the box like I was.
>>> You'll never make it look like that in your lifetime and you will wear
>>> out your eyeballs reading doc.

>>That is, if you're a lot dumber or lazier than the many, many people for
>>whom it works. In which case, you don't need any SuSE docs to wear out
>>your eyeballs... the Microsoft EULA beat them to it.
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Who reads that?

> I'd rather read the tax code.

I don't read the MS ULA because I already have and I do NOT agree to the
terms they license software. I would suggest anyone using MS software that
the READ the EULA for ever bit of software installed. Some * stuff has
been showing up in the MS EULA>

1. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

Dear All,

I have installed SuSE 8.1 on my SMP machine and its DHCP client can't get IP
address from our DHCP server. RedHat 8.0 can do the job, though. I didn't
encounter this problem with older SuSE.
Any comments or directions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Morris

2. Why Netscape can't display an .shtml file?

3. dhcp client not work how expected on my Suse linux 8.1

4. "Attempt to access beyond end of device" !?!

5. Toshiba Lpatop Modem not recognised under SuSE 8.1

6. transparently accessing floppies

7. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

8. uucp:wrongtime to call

9. PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

10. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

11. kontour does not work with fresh install of SuSE 8.1

12. Mouse driver not saved in SuSE 8.1