It's just too easy

Post by Edward Roste » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 07:50:15

I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

It went something like this:

Open the case.

Push out the blanking plate

Swear at the case manufacturer for using push out blanking plates
resulting in me not having enough screws any more.

Put in the NIC

Screw it up.

Put the case on

Plug bits in

Boot up.

kudzo loads.

Enter the IP address.

Away!

I had to include the hardware bit to make it look like I'd done something.

It's too easy. This has been my experience (more or less) with adding
hardware since RH5.2 (my forst distro). This is why I am skeptical about
the wintrolls with all these problems. I've simply never had them.

All problems I have had have been with faulty hardware. All the other
problems have been with Win9X which is quite frankly awful.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

                                                          |eng.ox.ac.uk

It's just too easy

Post by Pete Goodw » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 08:48:03

Quote:>I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

I installed a new NIC in my own PC. On Windows, it asked for a driver disk.
On Linux Mandrake, it didn't even notice it was there.

I tried to configure it manually and it failed. I told it to use via-rhine,
then it worked.

Quote:>It's too easy. This has been my experience (more or less) with adding
>hardware since RH5.2 (my forst distro). This is why I am skeptical about
>the wintrolls with all these problems. I've simply never had them.

You think your own experience is the norm?

Quote:>All problems I have had have been with faulty hardware. All the other
>problems have been with Win9X which is quite frankly awful.

My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is telling
the truth here? You or me?

Would it surprise you if I said both of us? And would you understand why?

--
Pete Goodwin
---

It's just too easy

Post by yt.. » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:24:18

>>I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.
> I installed a new NIC in my own PC. On Windows, it asked for a driver disk.
> On Linux Mandrake, it didn't even notice it was there.
> I tried to configure it manually and it failed. I told it to use via-rhine,
> then it worked.
>>It's too easy. This has been my experience (more or less) with adding
>>hardware since RH5.2 (my forst distro). This is why I am skeptical about
>>the wintrolls with all these problems. I've simply never had them.
> You think your own experience is the norm?
>>All problems I have had have been with faulty hardware. All the other
>>problems have been with Win9X which is quite frankly awful.
> My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is telling
> the truth here? You or me?

You both are.  Hes running redhat 6.2, youre running mandrake.  They are
different in many ways.

-----.

It's just too easy

Post by Craig Kelle » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:32:01

> >I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

> I installed a new NIC in my own PC. On Windows, it asked for a driver disk.
> On Linux Mandrake, it didn't even notice it was there.

> I tried to configure it manually and it failed. I told it to use via-rhine,
> then it worked.

> >It's too easy. This has been my experience (more or less) with adding
> >hardware since RH5.2 (my forst distro). This is why I am skeptical about
> >the wintrolls with all these problems. I've simply never had them.

> You think your own experience is the norm?

> >All problems I have had have been with faulty hardware. All the other
> >problems have been with Win9X which is quite frankly awful.

> My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is telling
> the truth here? You or me?

> Would it surprise you if I said both of us? And would you understand why?

Perhaps you should give RedHat 7.0 a spin.  It detects the most
hardware of any Linux distribution, and that seems be the most
important quality of an OS that you look for.

It's just too easy

Post by Adam Warne » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:29:49

Hi Pete,

Quote:> My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is
telling
> the truth here? You or me?

> Would it surprise you if I said both of us? And would you understand why?

Even though network cards are extremely well supported in Linux you did some
research to find an unsupported one?

What was the brand and model of the network card Pete that Mandrake didn't
recognise?

Regards,
Adam

It's just too easy

Post by Steve Madin » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:05:01

: My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is telling
: the truth here? You or me?

: Would it surprise you if I said both of us? And would you understand why?

It certainly surprised me to hear you mention it.  It almost sounds
like you are trying to be fair-minded.  Why the change?

It's just too easy

Post by Mike Martine » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:27:50

> I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

> It went something like this:

> Open the case.

<story snipped in interest of readability>

I had a similar experience recently.  The MoBo of the P90 that's been my
Linux firewall, test bed and gateway died after the power supply
croaked.  I had a P133 sitting around, so I put the Linux HD
in the P133 (which is an ATX as opposed to the P90's AT) and figured I'd
have some work ahead of me.

Huh?  The thing just came up.  Linux said, "Oh, I'm on a P133 now?
Cool!"  And that was it.

        Modified Red Hat 6.1 (Cartman)
        Kernel 2.2.16 on a P133 (for now)
        login:

I know from experience, Windows would have had a major fit.  I would
have sat through endless dialog boxes informing me that "Windows has
found new hardware" and "Windows is now installing the software for your
new hardware" until something irrevocably punted, necessitating a total
reinstall.

Emboldened, I then swapped out the ISA NIC card for the PCI card that
was originally in the 133 and edited a line in conf.modules.  Again, no
worries.  Amazing.

MjM

It's just too easy

Post by Ray Chaso » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:31:47

>Put in the NIC

>Screw it up.

I don't think this is what you meant. :-)

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

It's just too easy

Post by j.. » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:14:48

>>I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

>I installed a new NIC in my own PC. On Windows, it asked for a driver disk.
>On Linux Mandrake, it didn't even notice it was there.

        Alternately, I have had it "just work" with Linux and need
        to manually point W2K to the appropriate driver *inf file
        on the corresponding driver disk.

        Otherwise, it would try and load a Win9x driver.

[deletia]

Quote:>>It's too easy. This has been my experience (more or less) with adding
>>hardware since RH5.2 (my forst distro). This is why I am skeptical about
>>the wintrolls with all these problems. I've simply never had them.

>You think your own experience is the norm?

        We certainly don't trust yours.

[deletia]

        OTOH, most of us have had problems with WinXX that are
        even worse than your "ordeal" with Linux.

--

        Also while the herd mentality is certainly there, I think the
        nature of software interfaces and how they tend to interfere

It's just too easy

Post by j.. » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:17:54

[deletia]
>>>All problems I have had have been with faulty hardware. All the other
>>>problems have been with Win9X which is quite frankly awful.

>> My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is telling
>> the truth here? You or me?

>You both are.  Hes running redhat 6.2, youre running mandrake.  They are
>different in many ways.

        They're not that much different.

        One is based on the other. They both use the same kernel and
        they both use the same hardware autodetection daemon.

        Short of Mandrake being less tolerant of vidcards that don't
        support X well, I have not seen much significant difference
        between the two in this regard.

        I run them both: Bughat 6.2 for my server and Mandrake 7.x for
        my workstation.

--

        Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
        the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to

        Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
        market leader that has become immune to market pressures.

        The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
        to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

                                                               / | \

It's just too easy

Post by Terry Port » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:21:04

>I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

>It went something like this:

>Open the case.

>Push out the blanking plate

>Swear at the case manufacturer for using push out blanking plates
>resulting in me not having enough screws any more.

>Put in the NIC

>Screw it up.

>Put the case on

>Plug bits in

>Boot up.

>kudzo loads.

>Enter the IP address.

>Away!

>I had to include the hardware bit to make it look like I'd done something.

>It's too easy. This has been my experience (more or less) with adding
>hardware since RH5.2 (my forst distro). This is why I am skeptical about
>the wintrolls with all these problems. I've simply never had them.

>All problems I have had have been with faulty hardware. All the other
>problems have been with Win9X which is quite frankly awful.

>-Ed

Here's my account of adding a NIC (Ne2000isa) to Win98 box yesterday.
1/ open case
2/ plug in NIC
3/ powerup pc
4/ No hardware detected automatically so go to CONTROL-PANEL, DEVICE-MGR
ADD-NEW-HARDWARE, Select from list (auto detect hangs pc), Novel/Anthem
5/ alter settings, suggested by Win98 as the interrupt and i/o are wrong
6/ reboot (long wait)
7/ set up tcpip settings, dns etc for the new NIC
8/ reboot (long wait)
9/ test it works

Easy hey ;-)

Ill take a linux box over a Windows box anyday!

Terry

It's just too easy

Post by yt.. » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:08:25

> [deletia]

>>> My own experiences have been the complete opposite of yours. Who is telling
>>> the truth here? You or me?

>>You both are.  Hes running redhat 6.2, youre running mandrake.  They are
>>different in many ways.
>    They're not that much different.
>    One is based on the other. They both use the same kernel and
>    they both use the same hardware autodetection daemon.

Mandrake's startup scripts are significantly different.

-----.

It's just too easy

Post by Pete Goodw » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:45:58

Quote:>Even though network cards are extremely well supported in Linux you did
>some research to find an unsupported one?

Both the Netgear card and the D-Link card are listed as supported. Yet
Mandrake failed to see I had added another supported network card.

Quote:>What was the brand and model of the network card Pete that Mandrake
>didn't recognise?

The D-Link card.

--
Pete Goodwin
---
On that unstable much loved system known as Windows 98 SE.

It's just too easy

Post by Pete Goodw » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:48:49

Quote:>Here's my account of adding a NIC (Ne2000isa) to Win98 box yesterday.

Was it an ISA PnP?

Quote:>1/ open case
>2/ plug in NIC
>3/ powerup pc
>4/ No hardware detected automatically so go to CONTROL-PANEL, DEVICE-MGR
>ADD-NEW-HARDWARE, Select from list (auto detect hangs pc), Novel/Anthem

If it wasn't PnP, then I'm not suprised it didn't auto detect it.

Quote:>5/ alter settings, suggested by Win98 as the interrupt and i/o are wrong

Another feature of non-PnP#?

Quote:>Easy hey ;-)

>Ill take a linux box over a Windows box anyday!

And what happens on the same box with Linux?

--
Pete Goodwin
---

Post by Edward Roste » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:20:36

>>I installed a new NIC in a frien's RH 6.2 box today.

> I installed a new NIC in my own PC. On Windows, it asked for a driver
> disk.  On Linux Mandrake, it didn't even notice it was there.

Have you switched on hardware autodetection?

I haven't installed it on my RH5.2 box, but even though the setup isn't
automagig, it is still very easy to do.

-Ed