why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by b.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Ok, So I bought RedHat 5.2, latest and greates, with the redhat powertool CD.
I install 5.2, Ok.
try to dial out, no ppp support. ok, I compile kernel to add PPP. dial out
Ok. (not as easy as windows, but sort of works and takes longer to connect).

Ok, so I try to install stuff from the powertool CD. using glint. half of
the packages do not install becuase some need this and that. for example,
many need libXm.so.1, some need libXm.so.2, some need libgtk and who knows
what, lists and list of missing dependepencies.

not only that, I did an upgrade, where it actually removed an newer package
that was allready installed on the system and replaced it with an older
package from the CD. it looks like the glint option "upgrade" does not check
that what it is upgrading is newer or not! what kind of junk system is this
where an upgrade puts an old package in place of a new one??

ok, now for the big one, now I try to dial out again, and now I get a message
from /usr/sbin/pppd telling me that kernel has no ppp support !  this
was working just yesterday, I did dial out then, now it tells me kernel has
no ppp support?? I check the make xconfig, and sure, ppp support is there
(compiled, not module).

so, after wasting half a day on this crap, where half the apps do not
install, and now it will not dial, I decided to format the disk, and
as they should.

you guys can keep UNIX, I am dont with it. I am back to the easy and pleasent
life of windows. may be when Linux is fixed I'll give a shot again.

Bill.

Post by mlw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Ok, So I bought RedHat 5.2, latest and greates, with the redhat powertool CD.
> I install 5.2, Ok.
> try to dial out, no ppp support. ok, I compile kernel to add PPP. dial out
> Ok. (not as easy as windows, but sort of works and takes longer to connect).

Not true, PPP should work out of the box, it has for all the
installations I have done.

Quote:

> Ok, so I try to install stuff from the powertool CD. using glint. half of
> the packages do not install becuase some need this and that. for example,
> many need libXm.so.1, some need libXm.so.2, some need libgtk and who knows
> what, lists and list of missing dependepencies.

Personally I hate GLINT.

Quote:

> not only that, I did an upgrade, where it actually removed an newer package
> that was allready installed on the system and replaced it with an older
> package from the CD. it looks like the glint option "upgrade" does not check
> that what it is upgrading is newer or not! what kind of junk system is this
> where an upgrade puts an old package in place of a new one??

Hmmm, I have never seen this. Did you e-mail redhat?

Quote:> ok, now for the big one, now I try to dial out again, and now I get a message
> from /usr/sbin/pppd telling me that kernel has no ppp support !  this
> was working just yesterday, I did dial out then, now it tells me kernel has
> no ppp support?? I check the make xconfig, and sure, ppp support is there
> (compiled, not module).

> so, after wasting half a day on this crap, where half the apps do not
> install, and now it will not dial, I decided to format the disk, and
> as they should.

I can imagine the frustration you must have had. I would have been
ripping! However, it has been my experience that this is not the
behavior of RedHat.

After a hard disk crash, I decided to upgrade my server from RedHat 5.0
to 5.2, slick no problems, PPP worked right out of the box. Do you have
a PnP modem?

As for glint, I think S.u.S.E. has the right idea in that it has the
option of installing all the dependencies that it knows about. though, I
thought GLINT would do this?

I would send off an e-mail to RedHat. The problems you seem to have had
are definitely something out of the ordinary.

How long have you been using NT?

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by Osvaldo Pinali Doederlei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>As for glint, I think S.u.S.E. has the right idea in that it has the
>option of installing all the dependencies that it knows about. though, I
>thought GLINT would do this?

RPM will tell about broken dependencies, I think they could have a switch
(or button in glint) to automatically install all missing pices
recursively!!

Post by Cliff Etze » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Ok, So I bought RedHat 5.2, latest and greates, with the redhat powertool CD.
> I install 5.2, Ok.
> try to dial out, no ppp support. ok, I compile kernel to add PPP. dial out
> Ok. (not as easy as windows, but sort of works and takes longer to connect).

> Ok, so I try to install stuff from the powertool CD. using glint. half of
> the packages do not install becuase some need this and that. for example,
> many need libXm.so.1, some need libXm.so.2, some need libgtk and who knows
> what, lists and list of missing dependepencies.

> not only that, I did an upgrade, where it actually removed an newer package
> that was allready installed on the system and replaced it with an older
> package from the CD. it looks like the glint option "upgrade" does not check
> that what it is upgrading is newer or not! what kind of junk system is this
> where an upgrade puts an old package in place of a new one??

> ok, now for the big one, now I try to dial out again, and now I get a message
> from /usr/sbin/pppd telling me that kernel has no ppp support !  this
> was working just yesterday, I did dial out then, now it tells me kernel has
> no ppp support?? I check the make xconfig, and sure, ppp support is there
> (compiled, not module).

> so, after wasting half a day on this crap, where half the apps do not
> install, and now it will not dial, I decided to format the disk, and
> as they should.

> you guys can keep UNIX, I am dont with it. I am back to the easy and pleasent
> life of windows. may be when Linux is fixed I'll give a shot again.

> Bill.

Bill - I have to STRONGLY DISAGREE with you in this regard.  I for a few
times thought the same thing about Linux...until I got RH 5.2.  IT is
the best thing since sliced bread.

Regarding your issue with ppp - did you make sure that your modem is
supported (no Winmodem?)  Also - like many others who have or will
respond to this post - ppp is standard for the install - the RPM issue
is easy, it will tell you which dependencies you'll need with the
version of glint that comes with RH 5.2 - mine did.

I myself have run NT for over 18 months now, both at work (Symantec tech
support) and at home on a dual boot machine on my LAN (for Web
Development) - IMHO, 5.2 is the best distro that has come out to date.
I have had no problems with it, unlike the 5.1 version that should have
never been released.

Linux is not for the faint at heart - I still keep a dual boot system
for apps or hardware not currently or supported on linux, IT has taken
me 9 months of breaking, reinstalling and just using it to get where I
am at with it currently.  I am by no means a Linux GURU, but it is
getting easier to do the more common things I need to do with it.  Don't
give up, at some point all of these things will click in, and you'll
wonder why you stuck with NT in the first place.

Cliff Etzel
ClifCom

**REMOVE THE NOSPAM TO REPLY**

Post by Brett W. McC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Ok, So I bought RedHat 5.2, latest and greates, with the redhat powertool CD.
>I install 5.2, Ok.
>try to dial out, no ppp support. ok, I compile kernel to add PPP. dial out
>Ok. (not as easy as windows, but sort of works and takes longer to connect).

PPP support is built into the kernel in RH 5.2.  It doesn't even sound as
if you even read any of the documentation. Page 168 of the RH Linux manual
describes how to set up a PPP connection.  It is just as easy as it is in
Windows, using either netcfg or linuxconf.

Quote:>Ok, so I try to install stuff from the powertool CD. using glint. half of
>the packages do not install becuase some need this and that. for example,
>many need libXm.so.1, some need libXm.so.2, some need libgtk and who knows
>what, lists and list of missing dependepencies.

It seems that you didn't install X in the main installation, or these
would be available.

Quote:>not only that, I did an upgrade, where it actually removed an newer package
>that was allready installed on the system and replaced it with an older
>package from the CD. it looks like the glint option "upgrade" does not check
>that what it is upgrading is newer or not! what kind of junk system is this
>where an upgrade puts an old package in place of a new one??

I find this hard to believe.  I haven't used glint that much, but prefer
to use the actual software glint is only a front end for, rpm.  It does
tell you if you are installing over an older package, and will abort the
installation unless you explicitly force the package.

Quote:>ok, now for the big one, now I try to dial out again, and now I get a message
>from /usr/sbin/pppd telling me that kernel has no ppp support !  this
>was working just yesterday, I did dial out then, now it tells me kernel has
>no ppp support?? I check the make xconfig, and sure, ppp support is there
>(compiled, not module).

How are you starting the ppp connection?  Are you using ppp-on?  Does pppd
have its suid bit set so you can start it as non-root?  Did you even
bother looking at the PPP-HOWTO document that is included with Red Hat
5.2?

--
Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by Brett W. McC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 16:59:03 +0100, Osvaldo Pinali Doederlein

>>As for glint, I think S.u.S.E. has the right idea in that it has the
>>option of installing all the dependencies that it knows about. though, I
>>thought GLINT would do this?

>RPM will tell about broken dependencies, I think they could have a switch
>(or button in glint) to automatically install all missing pices
>recursively!!

It would be a nice feature.  I imagine, though, one could write a shell
script to do such a thing, since you can query a package as to what it
depends on or what other packages depend on it and get a simple listing on
stdio. It could get rather complicated, though!

--

Post by Chip Sinta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Ok, So I bought RedHat 5.2, latest and greates, with the redhat powertool CD.
> I install 5.2, Ok.
> try to dial out, no ppp support. ok, I compile kernel to add PPP. dial out
> Ok. (not as easy as windows, but sort of works and takes longer to connect).

I installed RH 5.2 2weeks ago, and PPP worked "right out of the box" so
to speak.

Quote:> Ok, so I try to install stuff from the powertool CD. using glint. half of
> the packages do not install becuase some need this and that. for example,
> many need libXm.so.1, some need libXm.so.2, some need libgtk and who knows
> what, lists and list of missing dependepencies.

I too, received similiar messages. Installing the libraries *before* the
other packages solved that problem. And if I remember correctly it was
the fvwm95 package that gave the "needs libXm.so.1" message. That is an
erroneus message due to a compiling error. Adding the nodeps argument
solves the problem and installs fvwm95.

Quote:> not only that, I did an upgrade, where it actually removed an newer package
> that was allready installed on the system and replaced it with an older
> package from the CD. it looks like the glint option "upgrade" does not check
> that what it is upgrading is newer or not! what kind of junk system is this
> where an upgrade puts an old package in place of a new one??

Glint *should* alert you to that. I'm at a loss here.

Quote:> ok, now for the big one, now I try to dial out again, and now I get a message
> from /usr/sbin/pppd telling me that kernel has no ppp support !  this
> was working just yesterday, I did dial out then, now it tells me kernel has
> no ppp support?? I check the make xconfig, and sure, ppp support is there
> (compiled, not module).

Maybe *you* messed up when you tried to recompile the kernel. Like I
said before, I installed off the CD too, and was ready to go online out
of the box.

Quote:> so, after wasting half a day on this crap, where half the apps do not
> install, and now it will not dial, I decided to format the disk, and
> as they should.

Ya know, "where things work as expected" and "application install as it
should" in reference to MS gave me the biggest laugh of 99 so far.

Quote:> you guys can keep UNIX, I am dont with it. I am back to the easy and pleasent
> life of windows. may be when Linux is fixed I'll give a shot again.

> Bill.

Your problem sounds to me like a malfunction somewhere between your
chair and the system.
Better have that checked.

--
Have you seen my .sig file?
I dropped it somewhere in the alt* heirarchy.

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by Brett W. McC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>PPP support is built into the kernel in RH 5.2.  It doesn't even sound as
>if you even read any of the documentation. Page 168 of the RH Linux manual
>describes how to set up a PPP connection.  It is just as easy as it is in
>Windows, using either netcfg or linuxconf.

Oops, that's page 138.  My mistake.

--

Post by Tim Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> try to dial out, no ppp support. ok, I compile kernel to add PPP. dial out
>> Ok. (not as easy as windows, but sort of works and takes longer to connect).
>> ok, now for the big one, now I try to dial out again, and now I get a message
>> from /usr/sbin/pppd telling me that kernel has no ppp support !  this
>> was working just yesterday, I did dial out then, now it tells me kernel has
>> no ppp support?? I check the make xconfig, and sure, ppp support is there
>> (compiled, not module).
>Regarding your issue with ppp - did you make sure that your modem is
>supported (no Winmodem?)  Also - like many others who have or will

If it was a Winmodem, it wouldn't have worked at all.  Most likely what
happened, since he was playing with custom kernels, is that he booted
the old kernel the second day, rather than the new one he had built.

--Tim Smith

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by b.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>>Ok, So I bought RedHat 5.2, latest and greates, with the redhat powertool CD.
>>I install 5.2, Ok.
>>try to dial out, no ppp support. ok, I compile kernel to add PPP. dial out
>>Ok. (not as easy as windows, but sort of works and takes longer to connect).

>PPP support is built into the kernel in RH 5.2.  It doesn't even sound as
>if you even read any of the documentation. Page 168 of the RH Linux manual
>describes how to set up a PPP connection.  It is just as easy as it is in
>Windows, using either netcfg or linuxconf.

if ppp support is build in, then why I am getting message telling me that
ppp support is not build in kernel??

I start ppp like this:

become root. Then start control panel, then click on network icon, then
click on interfaces, then highlitght the ppp0 line, then click on
"activate". (offcourse I did configure it before with ISP phone number,
DNS IP etc..). to log out, I click on "deactivate".

This was working fine. now I do the same, and I get error that ppp support
is not in kernel.

I suspect that using glint, I installed something from the powertools CD
that broke ppp. I installed do many packages, I think it installed an
older package replacing a newer package that broke ppp?

Quote:

>>Ok, so I try to install stuff from the powertool CD. using glint. half of
>>the packages do not install becuase some need this and that. for example,
>>many need libXm.so.1, some need libXm.so.2, some need libgtk and who knows
>>what, lists and list of missing dependepencies.

>It seems that you didn't install X in the main installation, or these
>would be available.

offcourse I installed X. Actually I choose EVERYTHING when installing
red hat. I have 60GB total space on my PC, I always install everything.
X is fine.

Quote:>>not only that, I did an upgrade, where it actually removed an newer package
>>that was allready installed on the system and replaced it with an older
>>package from the CD. it looks like the glint option "upgrade" does not check
>>that what it is upgrading is newer or not! what kind of junk system is this
>>where an upgrade puts an old package in place of a new one??

>I find this hard to believe.

well, I found it hard to believe too. I had an old redhat CD with utilties,
so I by purpose selected a package that is older than what is allready
is on the disk, and I selected it, then I click on "upgrade", then I checked
with

rpm -qa | grep package_name

and found that the newer package gone, and now the older one is in its place.
(comparing package version numbers).

Quote:> I haven't used glint that much, but prefer
>to use the actual software glint is only a front end for, rpm.  It does
>tell you if you are installing over an older package, and will abort the
>installation unless you explicitly force the package.

There is not "force" option with glint? there  is an "upgrade" and "install".
I always choose "upgrade" since it will always install it also if there
is nothing there to upgrade.

Quote:>>ok, now for the big one, now I try to dial out again, and now I get a message
>>from /usr/sbin/pppd telling me that kernel has no ppp support !  this
>>was working just yesterday, I did dial out then, now it tells me kernel has
>>no ppp support?? I check the make xconfig, and sure, ppp support is there
>>(compiled, not module).

>How are you starting the ppp connection?  Are you using ppp-on?  Does pppd
>have its suid bit set so you can start it as non-root?  Did you even
>bother looking at the PPP-HOWTO document that is included with Red Hat
>5.2?

see above. I use control-panel to start ppp.
as I said ppp was working. now it does not.
the whole package installation system on Linux is broke.

why would redhat have a powertool CD with packages in it, that is missing
dependecies?? where the heck I am supposed to go look for libXm.so.2 ??
this is junk. the system should come with all the dependencies it needs,
and should take care of all that. a user is not expected to go chase
and figure where to download this and that file to make glint happy.

this I find one of the weakest point in Linux.

bill.

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by b.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

says...

Quote:

>But half a day isn't really giving
>the product much of a chance.

ok, I sell you a car with only 3 wheels, and then I tell you to give
it a chance.

Quote:>I don't think you have the patience at this juncture.

but when a software is broke, patience does you no good.

it is true what they say: linux is free for those whose time in worthless.

wishing redhat/Linux good luck, it sure needs it.

Bill.

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by b.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>ok, I sell you a car with only 3 wheels, and then I tell you to give
>>it a chance.

>A better analogy for your situation is that I sell you a car with a manual
>transmission and you bring it back claiming it's broken because you can't go
>over 20 mph.  Now it's understandable that you never learned how to drive a
>stick, but it's not our fault.

No. the car itself is broke.

I just went ahead and rebuild the kernel (2.0.36, redhat 5.2), to make
PPP support is there. and guess what, now startx hangs, and X will not come
up. I had to reboot the machine. I guess the building of the kernel
screwed something.

maybe becuase I installed egcs 2.8 (latest comiler) before, I saw lots
of warning messages comeup during the compile, and an #error telling
me that the code was not tested with 2.8, only 2.7.* (from types.h).

since I want to use 2.8 (ami supposed to unistall gcc back to 2.7 before
I compile the kernel, and then install 2.8 again everytime??). So I commented
away the #error statment.

Now the system build, (with lots of warnings), but I do get a zImage. So
I copy it to /boot, run lilo (all the stadard stuff), reboot, and X will
not start and system hangs.

such a crapy system for sure. is this the thing that is supposed to dominate
the world?? this is such a joke of a system. We really need a third OS.
Linux/Unix and windows are both crap. May be I should go check BeOS.

there got to be easy to use, solid, flexible, predictable OS out there
for the masses to use. it sure is not Linux. At least with windows it works.
it might work bad sometimes, but at least it still works.

Bill

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by b.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>so, after wasting half a day on this crap, where half the apps do not

>Bwahahaha!  *Half* a whole *day*!  Lemme guess...you're part of the MTV
>generation, aren't you.

no, I am not part of MTV generation. I have been programming for 16 years
on many OS's including UNIX.

spending half a day to get PPP connection is a waste for anyone's time,
offcourse this is if your time is worth anything.

On NT I spend 5 minutes to setup PPP and it worked first time, and it
still works everytime and its been a year since I setup.

Bill

why I tried Linux and I am back to NT.

Post by b.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>>PPP support is built into the kernel in RH 5.2.  It doesn't even sound as
>>>if you even read any of the documentation. Page 168 of the RH Linux manual
>>>describes how to set up a PPP connection.  It is just as easy as it is in
>->>Windows, using either netcfg or linuxconf.

>>if ppp support is build in, then why I am getting message telling me that
>>ppp support is not build in kernel??

>You are either trying to run pppd as non-root or you started the wrong
>kernel after rebuilding.  Take a look at section 18.1 of the PPP-HOWTO for
>more detailed information on this.

No. None of the above. I know how to build the kernel and install. I've beed
using Linux on/off for more than a year now.

I now moved back the orginal kernel (good thing I saved a copy of the image)
and run lilo, and rebooted. so I am now running the orginal red-hat kernel,
this is the error:

Dec 31 20:34:37 localhost kernel: PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel
 allocation)

Dec 31 20:34:37 localhost kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright
 1995 Caldera , Inc.

Dec 31 20:34:37 localhost kernel: PPP line discipline registered.

Dec 31 20:34:37 localhost pppd[734]: Failed to open /dev/ttyS1: Device or
resource busy(16)

Dec 31 20:34:37 localhost pppd[734]: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.
 This could be because the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the
 kernel is not configured for PPP.  See the README.linux file in the ppp-2.3.5
 distribution.

Dec 31 20:34:52 localhost ifup-ppp: pppd started for ppp0 on /dev/ttyS1 at 57600
Dec 31 20:34:52 localhost pppd[743]: Failed to open /dev/ttyS1: Device or
resource busy(16)

etc..

(dont mind the date off by one day, I did not yet fixed the clock on the PC).

Quote:

>>>It seems that you didn't install X in the main installation, or these
>>>would be available.

>>offcourse I installed X. Actually I choose EVERYTHING when installing
>>red hat. I have 60GB total space on my PC, I always install everything.
>>X is fine.

>60GB?  Do you have a RAID?

No. simply 4 x 17.2 GB IDE disks (you can buy an IDE 17.2 matrox disk for $379
from frys). I have a scsi CDROM since no place left for CD interface, I plan
to buy 3 more scsi disks soon.

Quote:

>Actually, for rpm to use this, you have to explicitly tell it to install
>an older package with the --oldpackage option.

>>There is not "force" option with glint? there  is an "upgrade" and "install".
>>I always choose "upgrade" since it will always install it also if there
>>is nothing there to upgrade.

>I wouldn't use glint.  Use rpm on the command line.  It's much more
>flexible.

I found GUI interface to look at packages in directory easier to use, expect
glint is broke.

Well, any way, now that I can start X again (after the mess of building
the kernel with egcs 2.8 and breaking X), I did this:

started minicom, dialed some number, the modem did work, I exited minicom,
and tried ppp again. guess what, now it works!!  I tried ppp before using
minicom, and I get the above error, but now it works! (same steps)

I am writing this from netscape from Linux. So, It looks like minicom
intialized the modem or something, all what I know is that now ppp works !
(why was it saying modem device was busy before? may be this has something
to do with it).

gee, any way, well at least I can dialout now from Linux. so may be there is
still hope for this OS.

bill.

Post by David M. Co » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>so, after wasting half a day on this crap, where half the apps do not

Bwahahaha!  *Half* a whole *day*!  Lemme guess...you're part of the MTV
generation, aren't you.

Dave Cook

1. Why I switched back to NT, and then back to Linux again

Well, I guess I just missed the glitz and slickness of Windows.  So I
switched back to NT as my main platform.  After all, it had really been
pretty stable for me.

After about a week, I realized that it hadn't been all that stable.  I
was just used to rebooting.  Almost every time an application crashed,
it took the whole OS with it.  Reboot.

Linux apps may crash sometimes, but never take down the OS (or almost
never).  I like Linux.  :-)

--
-berhund

2. Fujitus Celsius A - RedHat7.2 - DisplayDriver

3. Why I switched to Linux, and why I'm back to NT

4. Map Plotting in Linux?

5. Why Java made me switch back to NT from Linux

6. IPCS on Linux

7. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

8. modem trouble (isapnp)

9. I am trying Linux out for the first time.

10. ***HELP*** I am a new user trying to install Linux 6.2

11. Why I am a Linux Nut!

12. Why I am going Linux