m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

Post by Howard Smit » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hehe.  Gates is claiming he can't find the source code that the judge
ordered him to turn over to Caldera.  "The dog ate my homework" !   How
quaint.

http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/0824/27acald.html

m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
- Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.

Maybe Bill should look under his bed.  Maybe the judge will help him
find it.

--
m$-Hotmail: "Where do you want Sun Solaris to take you today ?"

Howard J. Smith        | Building a better world thru a micro$oft
                       | free environment with Java, Netscape and

m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

Post by J Perry Fecte » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

gates is a lame ass loser ass *.

Quote:>Hehe.  Gates is claiming he can't find the source code that the judge
>ordered him to turn over to Caldera.  "The dog ate my homework" !   How
>quaint.

>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
>- Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.

>Maybe Bill should look under his bed.  Maybe the judge will help him
>find it.

-------------------- http://www.veryComputer.com/~perfecto -------------------------
                   The Internet Portal to Success.

Post by LShapi » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hehe.  Gates is claiming he can't find the source code that the judge
>ordered him to turn over to Caldera.  "The dog ate my homework" !   How
>quaint.
>http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/0824/27acald.html
>m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
>- Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.
>Maybe Bill should look under his bed.  Maybe the judge will help him
>find it.

I just want to say thanks for the post.  Like many of us, I don't have time to
do all the research I should.  I very much appreciate being pointed to a
relevant article.  Sounds like a good one.  Thanks!
LShaping.

"The Internet, another innovative product from Microsoft"

Post by Howard Smit » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> gates is a lame ass loser ass *.
> -------------------- http://www.veryComputer.com/~perfecto -------------------------

Thanks for the heads up on m$'s defense strategy bro.  Of course, the
RACE CARD !  The DOJ's only picking on Bill because he's black (* in
the woodpile).  Andreasen's always using the N word, and sometimes the L
word too.  He probably planted those incriminating memos in Bills desk,
on a visit to Redmond.  Now if they can only get judge Ito assigned to
the case.

Worked for OJ !

--
m$-Hotmail: "Where do you want Sun Solaris to take you today ?"

Howard J. Smith        | Building a better world thru a micro$oft
                       | free environment with Java, Netscape and

m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

Post by Steven C. Den Bes » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

added this to the Deja-News archive:

Quote:>Hehe.  Gates is claiming he can't find the source code that the judge
>ordered him to turn over to Caldera.  "The dog ate my homework" !   How
>quaint.

>http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/0824/27acald.html

>m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
>- Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.

>Maybe Bill should look under his bed.  Maybe the judge will help him
>find it.

If I remember correctly, Q-DOS is a product which Microsoft had and worked
on nearly twenty years ago, when the company was a thousandth the size it
is now -- and was located in a different city. Are you really surprised
that they couldn't locate it?

Small companies (and Microsoft was really quite tiny then) are not usually
very good about doing formal archives; that's usually something they learn
by getting burned on.

Yes, I'm sure it's emotionally satisfying to laugh at them for this, but
doing so betrays your ignorance, I fear I must say.

Twenty years is a long time. Can you find all the work you did twenty years
ago? I sure can't.

Post by Chris Smit » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>added this to the Deja-News archive:

>>Hehe.  Gates is claiming he can't find the source code that the judge
>>ordered him to turn over to Caldera.  "The dog ate my homework" !   How
>>quaint.

>>http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/0824/27acald.html

>>m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
>>- Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.

>>Maybe Bill should look under his bed.  Maybe the judge will help him
>>find it.

>If I remember correctly, Q-DOS is a product which Microsoft had and worked
>on nearly twenty years ago, when the company was a thousandth the size it
>is now -- and was located in a different city. Are you really surprised
>that they couldn't locate it?

>Small companies (and Microsoft was really quite tiny then) are not usually
>very good about doing formal archives; that's usually something they learn
>by getting burned on.

>Yes, I'm sure it's emotionally satisfying to laugh at them for this, but
>doing so betrays your ignorance, I fear I must say.

You're not fearing saying it.  You're enjoying it bootlick.   You're
efforts to be a clear, objective thinker are about as transparent as a
window.

Chris Smith

*** Above is my real email address with
*** a twist.  The letters 'xyz' are NOT part
*** of my email address and must be
*** removed everywhere they occur
*** in order to send me email.

m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

Post by voi » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:08:25 GMT, Steven C. Den Beste

>If I remember correctly, Q-DOS is a product which Microsoft had and worked
>on nearly twenty years ago, when the company was a thousandth the size it
>is now -- and was located in a different city. Are you really surprised
>that they couldn't locate it?

No.  Not long ago I noticed one of the Netscape developers posting around
looking for copies of pre-1.0 Netscape software, which he hadn't saved.

However, QDOS wasn't the only thing missing.  Windows 95 code was among
the "lost" code, according to that article.  Perhaps you should read the
materials being commented on before you make accusations of ignorance.

--

 Ben

looking for admin/security work

Post by Steve Conl » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>added this to the Deja-News archive:
>>m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
>>- Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.

Quote:>Yes, I'm sure it's emotionally satisfying to laugh at them for this, but
>doing so betrays your ignorance, I fear I must say.

>Twenty years is a long time. Can you find all the work you did twenty years
>ago? I sure can't.

Oh, so the portions of Windows 95 that are alleged to have been lost were
also written 20 years ago?  Actually, I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

What's really scary, though, is that this is the company that sell Visual
Source Safe.  Uh huh, yeah, I bet that's a really good product, sure... M$
knows all about keeping the source safe--from the prying eyes of the law.

Steve
--

                  http://www.bor.state.oh.us/people/conley.html
ObGov'tEmployee:  I don't represent the Ohio Board of Regents.

:
: http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/0824/27acald.html
:
: m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
: - Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.

: Maybe Bill should look under his bed.  Maybe the judge will help him
: find it.

Well to their credit Microsoft is smart enough not to use Source Unsafe.
They actually use an internal tool (I think its called slime) that uses
an SQL backend.

    John Cavanaugh                          Hewlett-Packard Company
    Project Engineer                        1400 Fountaingrove Pkwy
    EESof Division                          Santa Rosa, CA 95403-1799

                                                707-577-3948 (Fax)
           One is always a long way from solving a problem
          until one actually has the answer.
                                            -- Steven Hawking

Post by Michael Herman » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> added this to the Deja-News archive:

> >Hehe.  Gates is claiming he can't find the source code that the judge
> >ordered him to turn over to Caldera.  "The dog ate my homework" !   How
> >quaint.

> >http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/0824/27acald.html

> >m$ says they can't find the source for W95, DOS, and "The Crown Jewels"
> >- Q-DOS, which Gates bought for peanuts.

> >Maybe Bill should look under his bed.  Maybe the judge will help him
> >find it.

> If I remember correctly, Q-DOS is a product which Microsoft had and worked
> on nearly twenty years ago, when the company was a thousandth the size it
> is now -- and was located in a different city. Are you really surprised
> that they couldn't locate it?

AFAIK they have to turn over the DOS part of Win95, not Q-DOS. It
definitely is the DOS part of Win95 where they can't find all the
sources...

 -Mike

Post by Dennis Peterso » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:08:25 GMT, Steven C. Den Beste

> >If I remember correctly, Q-DOS is a product which Microsoft had and worked
> >on nearly twenty years ago, when the company was a thousandth the size it
> >is now -- and was located in a different city. Are you really surprised
> >that they couldn't locate it?

> No.  Not long ago I noticed one of the Netscape developers posting around
> looking for copies of pre-1.0 Netscape software, which he hadn't saved.

> However, QDOS wasn't the only thing missing.  Windows 95 code was among
> the "lost" code, according to that article.  Perhaps you should read the
> materials being commented on before you make accusations of ignorance.

> --

>  Ben

> looking for admin/security work

Your last comment is interesting in the presence of this quote from
Steven:
"I limited myself to the part of the question for which I knew the
answer. (A practice I sometimes wish was more common in this forum.)"

It begs the question, is it a lie to tell the truth slowly?

dp

m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

Post by Mike Trett » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Your last comment is interesting in the presence of this quote from
>Steven:
>"I limited myself to the part of the question for which I knew the
>answer. (A practice I sometimes wish was more common in this forum.)"

>It begs the question, is it a lie to tell the truth slowly?

>dp

I was the person Steve made the above reply too-and yes, it is a form of
deception, at the least.  Perhaps not a lie, but not far from it.  Steve
has been practicing the ancient black art of selective facts-i.e., what he
says is literally the truth.  It's not the entire truth, or it is often
completely off point to the orginal question, but the intent is to mislead
and/or deceive the sucker into drawing the wrong conclusion entirely on
their own.  I routinely deal with attorneys who employ this tactic all the
time-after a while it gets real old.

--
===========
Mike Trettel    trettel (Shift 2) fred (dinky little round thing) net

I don't buy from spammers.  No exceptions.  Fix the reply line to mail me.

1. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

I am trying to turn my DOS machine into an exclusively DOS machine again.
 But I am afraid I did things in the wrong order and I am stuck.

Background:
I had my hard drive divided into three partitions.  The first partition
held DOS, the second held Linux, the third was a swap area (for Linux).
I also had LILO doing the booting for me.

What I did:
I used the DOS fdisk program to delete my second and third partitions.  I
fear this was my error.

Where I am now:
The Linux side of the disk is trashed.  The system halts when I try to
boot with LILO.

When I try to boot with floppies, I get through the boot disk and most of
the root disk, but after I get the messages
"MINIX-fs: mounting unchecked file system, running fsck is recommended."
"VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem)."
the system hangs.

My plan was to get linux up again and delete those partitions (and
LILO) from the Linux side like I should have done in the first place.

What I have tried:
The DOS fdisk program will not delete the non DOS partitions.  When I
delete them they appear to have been deleted, but upon running fdisk
(dos) again they are back.

What I need:
I need to get the second half of my hard disk back.  I would also like to
get LILO out of my boot area.

I do not have a Linux machine available to me at the time.  I do have the
infomagic 3 CD developers set.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Let me also say that I am aware I did
things in the wrong order, so you can save space by leaving out the three
paragraphs about what I should have done in the first place.

Thanks very much.  Alex.

2. (USA-NJ) Apache/mod_perl job -- consult or perm -- startup co

3. Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

4. 72 MB of memory and loadlin

5. Where is the source code to process "route" or "ifconfig" command?

6. AVM Fritz! A1 External / BT Speedway External

7. Where is source code for "telnet", "ftp" etc.

8. Q: ppp connection

9. Where to get the source code of "rz" and "sz"?

10. Problem "mv"ing to DOS partition, "cp" is ok....

11. How to prevent users from doing "replyall" to "allusers" alias

13. lost connection to the web while doing the "sorcery update;sorcery rebuild"