Microsoft embraces Linux -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Microsoft embraces Linux -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Post by Daero » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:47:57

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21371.html
Microsoft Embraces Linux! (Sort Of)
James Maguire  --  April 28 2003

"Porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its DIGITAL-RIGHTS
MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE into the consumer device market. This puts Redmond
in a position to be a gatekeeper for Hollywood and the music industry,
a role that could be HIGHLY PROFITABLE FOR MICROSOFT."

"In an interview with the Chicago Sun-Times, Microsoft CEO Steve
Ballmer said that "LINUX IS A CANCER that attaches itself in an
intellectual-property sense to everything it touches."

"And Microsoft executive Jim Allchin want on the record with this:
'I'm an American. I believe in THE AMERICAN WAY. I worry if the
government encourages open source , and I don't think we've done
enough education of policymakers to understand the threat."

"No surprise, there was no Microsoft press release announcing the
event, as there often is when the company starts an initiative with a
third-party developer. Can you blame the execs at Microsoft? Even
pronouncing the word "Linux" must be painful for them."

 "Linux is quickly becoming the platform of choice for consumer
electronics manufacturers...." InterVideo

"We believe most of the major consumer electronics companies are
looking at the Linux platform as a stable, low cost solution for
multimedia functionality...."  --  InterVideo's CEO

"You'll note the disconnect. For the Microsoft execs, LINUX IS A
CANCER and a THREAT TO THE AMERICAN WAY. For the manufacturers, it's
the platform of choice and a low-cost solution. It's a wonder these
two parties can work together."

"Microsoft, it appears, wants to expand its presence in the consumer
device market at all costs -- even if that means working with Linux.
And that's a very smart business move."

"More importantly, porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its
DIGITAL-RIGHTS MANAGEMENT software into the consumer device market.
This puts Redmond in a position to be a GATEKEEPER for HOLLYWOOD and
the MUSIC INDUSTRY, which already have seen what happens when
consumers start swapping digital files. This gatekeeper role could be
highly profitable for Microsoft."

"Like Microsoft, Rockefeller was a leading monopolist of his day
(speaking of threats to the American Way). His philosophy: 'Never let
personal feelings get in the way of making money.'"
....... unquote .......

Post by Mark » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:07:34

> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21371.html
> Microsoft Embraces Linux! (Sort Of)
> James Maguire  --  April 28 2003

> "Porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its DIGITAL-RIGHTS
> MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE into the consumer device market. This puts Redmond
> in a position to be a gatekeeper for Hollywood and the music industry,
> a role that could be HIGHLY PROFITABLE FOR MICROSOFT."

> "In an interview with the Chicago Sun-Times, Microsoft CEO Steve
> Ballmer said that "LINUX IS A CANCER that attaches itself in an
> intellectual-property sense to everything it touches."

> "And Microsoft executive Jim Allchin want on the record with this:
> 'I'm an American. I believe in THE AMERICAN WAY. I worry if the
> government encourages open source , and I don't think we've done
> enough education of policymakers to understand the threat."

> "No surprise, there was no Microsoft press release announcing the
> event, as there often is when the company starts an initiative with a
> third-party developer. Can you blame the execs at Microsoft? Even
> pronouncing the word "Linux" must be painful for them."

>  "Linux is quickly becoming the platform of choice for consumer
> electronics manufacturers...." InterVideo

> "We believe most of the major consumer electronics companies are
> looking at the Linux platform as a stable, low cost solution for
> multimedia functionality...."  --  InterVideo's CEO

> "You'll note the disconnect. For the Microsoft execs, LINUX IS A
> CANCER and a THREAT TO THE AMERICAN WAY. For the manufacturers, it's
> the platform of choice and a low-cost solution. It's a wonder these
> two parties can work together."

> "Microsoft, it appears, wants to expand its presence in the consumer
> device market at all costs -- even if that means working with Linux.
> And that's a very smart business move."

> "More importantly, porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its
> DIGITAL-RIGHTS MANAGEMENT software into the consumer device market.
> This puts Redmond in a position to be a GATEKEEPER for HOLLYWOOD and
> the MUSIC INDUSTRY, which already have seen what happens when
> consumers start swapping digital files. This gatekeeper role could be
> highly profitable for Microsoft."

> "Like Microsoft, Rockefeller was a leading monopolist of his day
> (speaking of threats to the American Way). His philosophy: 'Never let
> personal feelings get in the way of making money.'"
> ....... unquote .......

Nice for them to stick to such fine prinicples. Don't be surprised if
there is an MS Linux distro in 12 months time. ;)

Post by paul cook » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:22:51

>> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21371.html
>> Microsoft Embraces Linux! (Sort Of)
>> James Maguire  --  April 28 2003

>> "Porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its DIGITAL-RIGHTS
>> MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE into the consumer device market. This puts Redmond
>> in a position to be a gatekeeper for Hollywood and the music industry,
>> a role that could be HIGHLY PROFITABLE FOR MICROSOFT."

>> "In an interview with the Chicago Sun-Times, Microsoft CEO Steve
>> Ballmer said that "LINUX IS A CANCER that attaches itself in an
>> intellectual-property sense to everything it touches."

>> "And Microsoft executive Jim Allchin want on the record with this:
>> 'I'm an American. I believe in THE AMERICAN WAY. I worry if the
>> government encourages open source , and I don't think we've done
>> enough education of policymakers to understand the threat."

>> "No surprise, there was no Microsoft press release announcing the
>> event, as there often is when the company starts an initiative with a
>> third-party developer. Can you blame the execs at Microsoft? Even
>> pronouncing the word "Linux" must be painful for them."

>>  "Linux is quickly becoming the platform of choice for consumer
>> electronics manufacturers...." InterVideo

>> "We believe most of the major consumer electronics companies are
>> looking at the Linux platform as a stable, low cost solution for
>> multimedia functionality...."  --  InterVideo's CEO

>> "You'll note the disconnect. For the Microsoft execs, LINUX IS A
>> CANCER and a THREAT TO THE AMERICAN WAY. For the manufacturers, it's
>> the platform of choice and a low-cost solution. It's a wonder these
>> two parties can work together."

>> "Microsoft, it appears, wants to expand its presence in the consumer
>> device market at all costs -- even if that means working with Linux.
>> And that's a very smart business move."

>> "More importantly, porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its
>> DIGITAL-RIGHTS MANAGEMENT software into the consumer device market.
>> This puts Redmond in a position to be a GATEKEEPER for HOLLYWOOD and
>> the MUSIC INDUSTRY, which already have seen what happens when
>> consumers start swapping digital files. This gatekeeper role could be
>> highly profitable for Microsoft."

>> "Like Microsoft, Rockefeller was a leading monopolist of his day
>> (speaking of threats to the American Way). His philosophy: 'Never let
>> personal feelings get in the way of making money.'"
>> ....... unquote .......
> Nice for them to stick to such fine prinicples. Don't be surprised if
> there is an MS Linux distro in 12 months time. ;)

and then where will the wintrolls be???

Looking pretty sick trying to explain it all... how their particular "brand"
is automatically superior because it's Microsoft's...

--
Friendly Fire isn't

Post by Mark » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:39:28

>>>http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21371.html
>>>Microsoft Embraces Linux! (Sort Of)
>>>James Maguire  --  April 28 2003

>>>"Porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its DIGITAL-RIGHTS
>>>MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE into the consumer device market. This puts Redmond
>>>in a position to be a gatekeeper for Hollywood and the music industry,
>>>a role that could be HIGHLY PROFITABLE FOR MICROSOFT."

>>>"In an interview with the Chicago Sun-Times, Microsoft CEO Steve
>>>Ballmer said that "LINUX IS A CANCER that attaches itself in an
>>>intellectual-property sense to everything it touches."

>>>"And Microsoft executive Jim Allchin want on the record with this:
>>>'I'm an American. I believe in THE AMERICAN WAY. I worry if the
>>>government encourages open source , and I don't think we've done
>>>enough education of policymakers to understand the threat."

>>>"No surprise, there was no Microsoft press release announcing the
>>>event, as there often is when the company starts an initiative with a
>>>third-party developer. Can you blame the execs at Microsoft? Even
>>>pronouncing the word "Linux" must be painful for them."

>>> "Linux is quickly becoming the platform of choice for consumer
>>>electronics manufacturers...." InterVideo

>>>"We believe most of the major consumer electronics companies are
>>>looking at the Linux platform as a stable, low cost solution for
>>>multimedia functionality...."  --  InterVideo's CEO

>>>"You'll note the disconnect. For the Microsoft execs, LINUX IS A
>>>CANCER and a THREAT TO THE AMERICAN WAY. For the manufacturers, it's
>>>the platform of choice and a low-cost solution. It's a wonder these
>>>two parties can work together."

>>>"Microsoft, it appears, wants to expand its presence in the consumer
>>>device market at all costs -- even if that means working with Linux.
>>>And that's a very smart business move."

>>>"More importantly, porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its
>>>DIGITAL-RIGHTS MANAGEMENT software into the consumer device market.
>>>This puts Redmond in a position to be a GATEKEEPER for HOLLYWOOD and
>>>the MUSIC INDUSTRY, which already have seen what happens when
>>>consumers start swapping digital files. This gatekeeper role could be
>>>highly profitable for Microsoft."

>>>"Like Microsoft, Rockefeller was a leading monopolist of his day
>>>(speaking of threats to the American Way). His philosophy: 'Never let
>>>personal feelings get in the way of making money.'"
>>>....... unquote .......

>>Nice for them to stick to such fine prinicples. Don't be surprised if
>>there is an MS Linux distro in 12 months time. ;)

> and then where will the wintrolls be???

> Looking pretty sick trying to explain it all... how their particular "brand"
> is automatically superior because it's Microsoft's...

<Sarcasism> Does this mean that MS's finist spokensman has been struck
by cancer? Would explain the baldness though.

Microsoft embraces Linux -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Post by CyberDaemo » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:50:27

Quote:> Don't be surprised if there is an MS Linux distro in 12 months time. ;)

They're working on it, but they're stuck trying to change the Gnome "foot"
into the Start menu.

"Microsoft is working to incorporate the well known "Start" button from
the Windows Platform into X Windows' Gnome interface. "We just can't
figure out how the hell to get that darn foot out of there! The damn thing
is like stuck." The team will have this feature ready by product launch."

http://www.mslinux.org

;)

--
Stephen, king of the wicker people
-- Join #cola on irc.oftc.net !  --

Microsoft embraces Linux -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Post by horn » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:29:19

28 Apr 2003 19:07:34 -0400:

Quote:><deletia>
> Nice for them to stick to such fine prinicples. Don't be surprised if
> there is an MS Linux distro in 12 months time. ;)

I can forsee Microsoft approaching Lindows.com, maker of LindowsOS, and
rather than pursuing their non-sensical lawsuit over the Lindows name
will agree to market LindowsOS rebranded with the appropriate Microsoft
symbols.  Afterall, LindowsOS has been designed as a migratory
distribution of GNU/Linux for current users of Microsoft Windows
operating systems in the home market.  And based upon personal
experience LindowsOS has performed well on my notebook in corporate and
government environments.

--
Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671  MachineID 197525

Microsoft embraces Linux -- NEWSFACTOR.com

Post by Dave Leig » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:23:54

Daeron wrote on Monday 28 April 2003 17:47 in message

Quote:> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21371.html
> Microsoft Embraces Linux! (Sort Of)
> James Maguire  --  April 28 2003

Today WMP, tomorrow MS-Office.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Post by Bureau Chie » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:00:59

> [...]

windos is a slime mold.
steve balmer is a fungi.

Quote:

jim allchin is a big waste of money who could never develop chicago

Quote:>>>>"No surprise, there was no Microsoft press release announcing the

spelling it is even harder for them.

Quote:>>>> "Linux is quickly becoming the platform of choice for consumer

is free competition and  free enterprise a threat to microsoft?

yes, because its run on the model of the old Soviet politburo

Quote:>>>>"Microsoft, it appears, wants to expand its presence in the consumer

it's an ass saving measure that comes to late

Quote:>>>>"More importantly, porting to Linux allows Microsoft to get its

digital-smigital, the cows are out of the barn

Quote:>>>>"Like Microsoft, Rockefeller was a leading monopolist of his day

never let your crappy windos os get in the way of creating useable
software

Quote:>>>Nice for them to stick to such fine prinicples. Don't be surprised if
>>>there is an MS Linux distro in 12 months time. ;)

unfortunately they will have to give it away for free...linux will be the
seed of their own undoing.

Quote:

>> and then where will the wintrolls be???

>> Looking pretty sick trying to explain it all... how their particular
>> "brand" is automatically superior because it's Microsoft's...

> <Sarcasism> Does this mean that MS's finist spokensman has been struck
> by cancer? Would explain the baldness though.

--
All I want is some truth
Just gimme some truth

j. lennon
working class hero

Post by paul cook » Tue, 06 May 2003 16:54:27

> unfortunately they will have to give it away for free...linux will be the
> seed of their own undoing.

why??? they could do it by having proprietary stuff in it that cannot be
distributed freely and requires a "per processor" license. They can produce
an official Windows emulator that runs their own software perfectly but
again is proprietary and cannot be distributed freely... They could port
Explorer and the Explorer shell over to run on top so windows users will be
completely at home minus the bluescreens and spontaneous reboots...

They could make it absolutely idiot proof to install and, in effect, produce
a better Windows than Windows, which having the backing of Microsoft behind
it will mean that the PHBs and other budget controllers will feel perfectly
safe in buying, thus leaving RedHat and SuSE et al out in the chilly cold,
as PHBs etc. would have the best of both worlds then.

Everything done by Open Source coders under the GPL would be easy to bring
into the fold, whilst "official" Linux distros wouldn't be able to benefit
from the proprietary stuff that forms part of the Official Microsoft Linux.

Microsoft, if they got their act together now and swallowed their pride,
could seriously shaft the normal distros just by being there with an
Official Linux. And they could do it all even with an expensive per
processor license, as they could easily point to the other Linux distros as
being cheap or free but still failing to sell in comparision with them...
they wouldn't have to undercut us on price... just being there with an
"official" Linux with full Microsoft support behind it would be enough.

--
Friendly Fire isn't

Post by paul cook » Tue, 06 May 2003 17:42:35

>>> unfortunately they will have to give it away for free...linux will be
>>> the seed of their own undoing.

>> why??? they could do it by having proprietary stuff in it that cannot be
>> distributed freely and requires a "per processor" license. They can
>> produce an official Windows emulator that runs their own software
>> perfectly but again is proprietary and cannot be distributed freely...
>> They could port Explorer and the Explorer shell over to run on top so
>> windows users will be completely at home minus the bluescreens and
>> spontaneous reboots...

>> They could make it absolutely idiot proof to install and, in effect,
>> produce a better Windows than Windows, which having the backing of
>> Microsoft behind it will mean that the PHBs and other budget controllers
>> will feel perfectly safe in buying, thus leaving RedHat and SuSE et al
>> out in the chilly cold, as PHBs etc. would have the best of both worlds
>> then.

>> Everything done by Open Source coders under the GPL would be easy to
>> bring into the fold, whilst "official" Linux distros wouldn't be able to
>> benefit from the proprietary stuff that forms part of the Official
>> Microsoft Linux.

>> Microsoft, if they got their act together now and swallowed their pride,
>> could seriously shaft the normal distros just by being there with an
>> Official Linux. And they could do it all even with an expensive per
>> processor license, as they could easily point to the other Linux distros
>> as being cheap or free but still failing to sell in comparision with
>> them... they wouldn't have to undercut us on price... just being there
>> with an "official" Linux with full Microsoft support behind it would be
>> enough.

> You assume that m$ could actually write a good distro, or one that is
> better
> than the established vendors AND make it worth more than 'free'.  I don't
> think they could because most of their developers are people who make
> minor changes to an existing code base then get the marketing people to
> relabel
> it and convince customers it's somehow 'new'.  Linux kernel stuff would be
> too hard for m$ employees.

> You also assume that after years of convincing customers to go with
> Windows AND years of Linux FUD distortion, that they will suddenly release
> a Linux
> and everyone would be happy?  Are you kidding?  IT Managaers will around
> the world will come after them with pickaxes and shovels.

> No -- that is the strategy for every other product they have destroyed in
> the past.   This time it can't work.  There is a logical fallacy in the
> concept of Microsoft Linux that would be their own undoing.   They know
> that.  We know that.  So, bye, bye, m$.  [ No tears shed ]

ah, but they could do their usual trick and "pre-announce" it. Get all the
PHBs to wait and wait for the "official" Microsoft version rather than
going with what's actually out there and already working... and then where
would SuSE and RedHat's revenue stream be??? All dried up and they'd be
effectively out of the way.

--
Friendly Fire isn't

1. U.S. To Probe Microsoft Passport Flaw -- NEWSFACTOR.com

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/21481.html
U.S. To Probe Microsoft Passport Flaw
Keith Regan  --  May 09 2003

Although potential financial losses would be unlikely to dent
Microsoft's cash- heavy wallet, public relations damage as a result of
the revelation could be far more worrisome to the software giant.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) plans to review whether Microsoft
(Nasdaq: MSFT) violated a consent agreement with the agency over the
privacy of its Passport online password system, following the
revelation of a flaw that could have compromised millions of
consumers' private data.
----

But Passport also has been the focus of controversy for some time.
Last August, Microsoft settled FTC charges alleging that Passport did
not effectively protect personal data.
....... unquote .......

2. AHA1542CF w/ 2GB HD BIOS question.

3. microsoft patch -- NEWSFACTOR.com/

4. Can not login from CDE

5. Microsoft Removal 101, newsFACTOR.com

6. IP Forward

7. home backlash for Microsoft -- NEWSFACTOR.com

8. Disappearing CD-ROM Directories!? Help!

9. Linux and the Law -- NEWSFACTOR.com

10. Aberdeen Analyst Finds SCO's Claims Tough To Verify, newsFactor.com

11. Analyst Finds SCO's Claims Tough To Verify, newsFACTOR.com

12. "We will disavow any knowledge of this product" -- NEWSFACTOR.com

13. Thousands Say 'SCO Sue Me' -- NEWSFACTOR.com