Interesting arcticle Jan 5 InfoWorld

Post by Brett W. McC » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I was reading a trade rag -- InfoWorld -- today, and came across an
article called "All's Quiet on the Windows Upgrade Front", which was about
the current problems Microsoft is having with getting Windows 98 and NT 5
finished.  One IT executive (Warren Smith, of an unnamed telecom company)
made several observations about some of the problems Microsoft is facing,
and concluded this (in regards to the outrageous hardware requirements):

"'You can run NT 4.0 on 32MB of memory, but with NT 5.0 I have not tried
it on anything less than 64', Smith said. 'Microsoft has got to get that
down.  Otherwise, something like Linux could come up and beat the living
daylights out of it.'

"In the end, it is that sort of question IT managers have to face..."

("All's Quiet on the Windows Upgrade Front", _Infoworld_, 5 Jan 97, p. 19)

Brett W. McCoy
                         http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/1038
"The Number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

1. Interesting stuff from InfoWorld

    All advocates grab the report before M$ figures out
    this will make stuff grow in the hay.

--
If you have to read the docs, it's broken.
I hate making mistakes.

2. mksysb tape restore question

3. Apache

4. INFOWORLD article

5. can't find lib libXt.so.6

6. InfoWorld: Caldera 2.2 install "surpasses Windows"

7. stty question

8. InfoWorld quote

9. If you like Linux Go Vote for it at Infoworld

10. Help me reply to Infoworld correspondent: what is diff between BSDI and FreeBSD?

11. Infoworld awards Best Desktop OS of '96 to Red Hat Linux 4.0

12. InfoWorld: Is IIS worth the risk?