How to get my file associations back from Real1Player

How to get my file associations back from Real1Player

Post by Karl and Tanya Pizzolatt » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 02:27:50



I've recently installed Real1Player (r1p1_linux22_libc6_i386_a1.bin), and
it has now grabbed most of my audio associations in konqueror.

Using both konqueror...settings...configure konqueror and KDE Control
Center, I have expanded "File Browsing" selected "File Associations", and
removed the realaudio associations I don't want.  Specifically *.wav and
*.au.

After I hit "apply", they're gone like I want. But AS SOON AS I CLOSE AND

really annoying.)

At any rate, I suspect there are a few ways to specify file associations
in KDE, and I must be missing one.

Can anybody tell me how to remove file associations from RealAudio where I
want to use them elsewhere?  How might I do this?

Yeah, I know "real" applications are real aggressive with "owning" your
computer.  But this is *my* computer, and it will do what I tell it to
(with the help of the GNU/Linux community!).

Thanks a lot,

Karl Pizzolatto

 
 
 

How to get my file associations back from Real1Player

Post by rapska » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 03:31:35


Error log for Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:27:50 +0000, segfault in module "Karl
and Tanya Pizzolatto": dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Can anybody tell me how to remove file associations from RealAudio where
> I want to use them elsewhere?  How might I do this?

> Yeah, I know "real" applications are real aggressive with "owning" your
> computer.  But this is *my* computer, and it will do what I tell it to
> (with the help of the GNU/Linux community!).

Well, 5 minutes ago Real was set as the default player for wav files on my
system as well, this is what I did to change it (Konqueror under KDE
3.0.3)...

In Konqueror, I selected a wav file that had the little "real" icon next
to it, then I right clicked, selected "Edit file type..." from the menu.

A dialog popped listing the mime type and preferred apps, of which Real
was the only one listed.

I added XMMS to the list of  preferred apps, and kicked it up on the list
to be the first option.  Then I clicked on the "Embedding" tab and
selected the "Show file in seperate viewer" radio box.

Then I just clicked "Apply" and then "Ok".  When I clicked on the file,
XMMS popped up and started playing the file.

Just to be sure, I closed Konqueror and then reloaded it, then back to the
same file and it looks like the settings stuck.

--
rapskat -   9:20pm  up 11 days, 22:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.22, 0.22
138 processes: 124 sleeping, 12 running, 2 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states:  0.2% user,  0.1% system,  0.3% nice,  0.3% idle

"No self-respecting fish would want to be wrapped in that kind of paper."
                -- Mike Royko on the Chicago Sun-Times after it was
                   taken over by Rupert Murdoch

 
 
 

How to get my file associations back from Real1Player

Post by Nucleo » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 05:52:26



> I've recently installed Real1Player (r1p1_linux22_libc6_i386_a1.bin),
> and it has now grabbed most of my audio associations in konqueror.

> Using both konqueror...settings...configure konqueror and KDE Control
> Center, I have expanded "File Browsing" selected "File Associations",
> and removed the realaudio associations I don't want.  Specifically *.wav
> and *.au.

> After I hit "apply", they're gone like I want. But AS SOON AS I CLOSE

> becoming really annoying.)

> At any rate, I suspect there are a few ways to specify file associations
> in KDE, and I must be missing one.

> Can anybody tell me how to remove file associations from RealAudio where
> I want to use them elsewhere?  How might I do this?

> Yeah, I know "real" applications are real aggressive with "owning" your
> computer.  But this is *my* computer, and it will do what I tell it to
> (with the help of the GNU/Linux community!).

> Thanks a lot,

> Karl Pizzolatto

Never had that problem, so I'm guessing, but are there other instances of
Konqueror open?  If these get closed later, they may change the settings
back.

--
Nucleon, RLU #278930, <http://counter.li.org/>

#include <stdio.h>
main(){for(;;)printf("Is your Windows hung?\t\b\b\b\b\b\b");}

 
 
 

1. Open Windows File Manager File Associations

Just a quick question to those that are more experienced Sun'ies than me
...
Any idea where the file manager maintains its list of actions and icon
associations for files/ file types?
I looked around in /etc, /usr/openwin/etc, etc. :-) and no luck :-(
Thanx
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I choose life! I'll live the best one that I can create! Join the ride!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. change network adapter hardware address?

3. KDE 3.0.1, kcontrol->File Browsing->File Associations icon bug?

4. lp device locking in Solaris 2.3

5. File Manager and File associations

6. Sony 15 SF II Monitor

7. CDE File Manager - file association.

8. Oracle on OpenBSD

9. getting taper to preserve access times on files backed-up?

10. File "association"?

11. gnome file association not being remembered

12. File Associations on KDE

13. dtmail file associations