Microsoft SmartPhone will also support Linux...

Microsoft SmartPhone will also support Linux...

Post by paul cook » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:30:17

<http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1559981>

Quote:>The new combination PDA-phone handset supports Microsoft's Windows CE
>.NET operating system, the Microsoft Smartphone 2002 software, and the
>Microsoft Windows Powered Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition software, as
>well as multiple microprocessors such as Intel's (Quote, Company Info)
>newest chip, the PXA250 XScale running at 400MHz as well as Intel's
>SA-1110 and Hitachi's SH3/SH4 microprocessors. The handset also
>supports Linux operating systems.

          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice fact to know :)

Quote:>The MicroPDA also features GSM/GPRS tri-band communications, a four-inch
>color TFT VGA display (touch screen LCD with backlight), 64Mb SDRAM, 32
>Mb Intel Strata Flash, Bluetooth and IrDA communication support, USB
>client/host controller, Multimedia Card/Secure Digital (MMC/SD)
>support, compact Flash, Ethernet and RS232 serial support, SIM card
>support, internal speaker, microphone with headset detection and a real
>time clock.

yummee yummee...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

Post by Bone » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:28:44

><http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1559981>

[snip]

Yeah, but can you actually make a phone call with it? A friend of mine has a
Motorola that takes -- now this is no exaggeration -- two minutes to "boot"
up before he can make a call. Worthless.

--
Bones
(fakemccoy at <i don't have an e-mail address anymore>)

Microsoft SmartPhone will also support Linux...

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 07:09:09

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bones

 wrote
on Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:28:44 GMT

>><http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1559981>

> [snip]

> Yeah, but can you actually make a phone call with it? A friend of mine has a
> Motorola that takes -- now this is no exaggeration -- two minutes to "boot"
> up before he can make a call. Worthless.

Great; just the thing for someone dying of coronary thrombosis. :-/

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

Post by Greg Copelan » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:28:01

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bones

>  wrote
> on Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:28:44 GMT

> >><http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1559981>

> > [snip]

> > Yeah, but can you actually make a phone call with it? A friend of mine has a
> > Motorola that takes -- now this is no exaggeration -- two minutes to "boot"
> > up before he can make a call. Worthless.

> Great; just the thing for someone dying of coronary thrombosis. :-/

While the boot up time is well into the category of absurd, nonetheless,
in theory you're phone should be turned on most of the time anyways.  After
all, surely a phone with that many capabilities will have ring-mute, etc...
Which means, there generally isn't a reason to turn the phone off.

Greg

Microsoft SmartPhone will also support Linux...

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 04:54:15

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Greg Copeland

 wrote
on 27 Dec 2002 09:28:01 -0600

>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bones

>>  wrote
>> on Sat, 21 Dec 2002 06:28:44 GMT

>> > [snip]

>> > Yeah, but can you actually make a phone call with it?
>> > A friend of mine has a Motorola that takes -- now this
>> > is no exaggeration -- two minutes to "boot" up before
>> > he can make a call. Worthless.

>> Great; just the thing for someone dying of coronary thrombosis. :-/

> While the boot up time is well into the category of
> absurd, nonetheless, in theory you're phone should be
> turned on most of the time anyways.  After all, surely
> a phone with that many capabilities will have ring-mute,
> etc...  Which means, there generally isn't a reason to
> turn the phone off.

Hmm...and what was the max uptime for Windows CE, again? :-)

Quote:

--

It's still legal to go .sigless.

1. Linux smartphone model to develop small apps

Greetings,

I'd like to have an advice about Linux mobile phones (or
"smartphones").

I was interested in buying one on which I could develop and run some
small application i.e. in Java or Python. It should also have a digital
camera and a MP3 player.

Can anyone suggest some not-too-expensive model available on the
European market?
Thanks in advance for any hint.

2. C/C++:IDE

3. Converting text files from Microsoft to Linux and Linux to Microsoft

4. How to display info about my Hardisk?

5. BSD or Linux on PA-RISC (was: Microsoft supports HPUX ...)

6. procmail

7. New Smartphone coming

8. Cards file

9. Samsung knees MS smartphone and buys into Symbian

10. Microsoft announces support for Linux!

11. (Internal) Microsoft Helpdesk Supports Linux!

12. Looking for Microsoft Busmouse support in Linux kernel.

13. Linux: a threat to Microsoft (was: Microsoft to make Windows-specific Java)