Linux Performance on a Sparc 2?

Post by Scot » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

I'm trying to decide whether or not to install Linux on my Intel 486 box, or
take one of our old Sparc 2s home from work.

Does anyone have any performance experience with Linux on a Sparc 2 to share?

Thanks,

- Scott

Harry Browne for President

http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/

Post by Leo Comita » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I'm trying to decide whether or not to install Linux on my Intel 486 box, or
>take one of our old Sparc 2s home from work.

>Does anyone have any performance experience with Linux on a Sparc 2 to share?

No, but it couldn't be any WORSE than running Solaris on it.

--
Leo Comitale
UofT CPE 9T6+PEY

Post by Iain L » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I'm trying to decide whether or not to install Linux on my Intel 486 box, or
> take one of our old Sparc 2s home from work.

> Does anyone have any performance experience with Linux on a Sparc 2 to share?

Yeah - it goes like stink :)

Seriously it gives a SS2 a new breath of life and is Internet-ready with all
the preinstalled net apps. Cool stuff so install it and spread the word.

--
Iain Lea                                            DS 83, SBS GmbH., Germany

1. Performance of Linux/SPARC-20

I have a SPARC-station 20 at work, and we will soon be phasing it out.
I already know that Redhat distributes a version of Linux that runs on
SPARC CPUs .... and I'm fairly confident that the SS-20 is supported.
I'm thinking about buying it from the company.

What I'm after are reports of performance of Linux running on a
SPARC-station 20 (32MB).  Is it going to be any faster than my P-100
(16MB) at home??  I do quite a bit of development in C, and I'm now
learning to write X apps ... so I'll mostly be running
compilers/debuggers, (plus Netscape, and PPP to my provider) if that's
any help.

Is there a web page with this information already summarized?

                -- Henry Spencer

2. Apache and PUT

3. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

4. Apache+mod_jk+tomcat: virtual hosts and rewriting URLs

5. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

6. Question on moax cp104p boards

7. SPARC SunOs 4.x or SPARC Solaris appls under Linux

8. Help with TrueType fonts.

9. Performance of Solaris 2.4 on x86 vs SPARC

10. performance of FTP on a sparc-1

11. Sparc Linux and sparc clones

12. Anecdotes Needed - Sparc w/ Solaris 2.X - Performance

13. Performance Tuning a SPARC/Solaris combination