PC Magazine -- "THE BEST COMPETITOR TO WINDOWS IS LINUX"

PC Magazine -- "THE BEST COMPETITOR TO WINDOWS IS LINUX"

Post by Brian Kimbal » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

This John C. Dvorak guy of PC Magazine has really been kicking M$ in the
shins lately.  First he says

"Gates and company talk about total cost of ownership and never once
take responsibility for the fact that Microsoft has created an operating
system that encourages sloppy practices and continuously degraded
performance."

And a few weeks later he says:

<QUOTE>
The best competitor to Windows is actually Linux.  While Red Hat and
others have professionalized the Linux code to some extent, they are
hardly making a dent in the market.

...The public has not been given a real choice.  What's been left out of
the equation is the performance factor.  Microsoft has always been
vulnerable to performance comparisons, since in that area its products
generally have been on the short end of the stick. The company's
approach has been to use complex development systems to create bloated
code with a lot of cool features; then it markets the features. But
users want performance and ease of use. Features come in a distant
third, since most software today is feature-rich. Features are simply
not that important. We do not need any more of them. We need speed.

...And now that Windows 96 has become Windows 97 and will soon be
Windows 98, from what I hear, we need something new sooner rather than
later. Help! Someone!
</QUOTE>

For all the juicy details see "I Want My New OS" and "Personal
Computing: the Thrill is Gone" at
http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/insites/dvorak/jdindex.htm

        kimball

PC Magazine -- "THE BEST COMPETITOR TO WINDOWS IS LINUX"

Post by Jacob Baill » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

It strikes me that, given the huge volume of complaints we generated
regarding Hewson's article in the Times a few weeks ago, it would be a
good move for the Linux community to write email messages to PC Magazine
(and perhaps Mr. Dvorak himself) letting him know that we appreciate his
research and journalistic integrity....  We can't only let people know
when they do something wrong, we should also let them know when they do
something right....

Jacob Bailly

Post by Jay MacDonal » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

> It strikes me that, given the huge volume of complaints we generated
> regarding Hewson's article in the Times a few weeks ago, it would be a
> good move for the Linux community to write email messages to PC Magazine
> (and perhaps Mr. Dvorak himself) letting him know that we appreciate his
> research and journalistic integrity....  We can't only let people know
> when they do something wrong, we should also let them know when they do
> something right....

Why stop there? Why not petition Mr. Dvorak and PC Magazine to start a
regular feature or column dedicated to Linux. It is, after all, <b>PC
Magazine</b> 8-)

Of course there's the other "common" mags - PC Week, Byte, etc that
could
also be approached. Linux is ripe for this kind of exposure.

Jay MacDonald

Quote:

Post by Roeland M.J. Meye » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

> This John C. Dvorak guy of PC Magazine has really been kicking M$ in the
> shins lately.  First he says

... and the knees, and the a** ...
Boy, this guy knows how to needle.

Quote:> For all the juicy details see "I Want My New OS" and "Personal
> Computing: the Thrill is Gone" at
> http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/insites/dvorak/jdindex.htm

I just read both articles, thanks. I just had (yesterday), my WinNTws40,
at home
lock up with the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). I had shared out a
directory and was
accessing it from the WinNTws40 machine at work. I know that I should
have been
using one of my Samba shares, on my Linux servers, for this, but I was
being lazy.
The link, from my Linux gw machine, is 33.6K V.34 modem, which usually
connects
at 28.8Kbps. The WS, at either end, are hooked to co-ax. Anyway, I had
actually
mounted the drive and started transfering multiple files when everything
quit
and my end said "network unreachable on drive V:". 45 minutes later,
when I got
home, I saw the BSoD.

I repeated the exact same incident today. However, I was doing it as a
test. After WinNT crashed I mounted the Samba share from my main Linux
box and completed the
transfer, like I should have done in the first place.

I do understand that my WinNTws40 is *only* a workstation kernel.
However, I am
reminded that the only difference between WinNTworkstation and
WinNTserver is a
registry switch ... and why should we tolerate a difference in
reliability anyway, even if it is a workstation. I relie on it to ...
work. However, since I am usually
physically present at my workstation, and don't care about them when I'm
not, I
am willing to trade workstation functionally for reliability. Linux just
doesn't
have the desktop software.

The real issue is that I can get WinNTws40 to crash, at will, by making
it perform
a simple network task. On the other hand, in the case of 2 Linux
machines, running
24 hours a day, 7 days per week, for the past 18 months, continually
attached to
the network via both modems and ISDN, there has never been a crash.

Now, will someone please tell me why they think WinNTserver is ready for
prime-time?

Post by David LeBla » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

>Why stop there? Why not petition Mr. Dvorak and PC Magazine to start a
>regular feature or column dedicated to Linux. It is, after all, <b>PC
>Magazine</b> 8-)

You really don't want that.  Dvorak used to push OS/2 all the time -
look what happened to them...

I _like_ Linux.  Having a regular column on it from him would kill it
for sure...

David LeBlanc           |Why would you want to have your desktop user,

                        |minicomputer-class computing environment?
                        |Scott McNealy

1. "THE BEST COMPETITOR TO WINDOWS IS LINUX

Here's my letter to the editors of PC magazine, John Dvorak and Bill
Machrone:

Gentlemen,

   I just want to take this opportunity to thank all of you, as well as
others on your staff, for your public acknowledgment of Linux in the
computing community.  We "Linuxers", like many OS enthusiasts are, many
times, filled with zeal about our environment, and, unfortunately, (as
Mr.Machrone well knows) can become quite defensive, and sadly, vulgar at
any negative comment aimed at the OS (even if it's meant to be
constructive).

   I'd like to let you know that Mr. Dvorak made a comment in your May
5, 1997 issue of PC Mag. that "THE BEST COMPETITOR TO WINDOWS IS
LINUX".  Sorry about the cap, I copied the quote from a newsgroup
message subject line, and that's just my point.  Positive comments,
however small, are not unnoticed.  I won't make judgements on other
press around the world, but let me just say that whenever I've read
anything Linux related in any of ZD's publications, it's been
good-intentioned, well-reasoned and has come with at least some
technical authority from an industry standpoint.  I won't argue total
acuracy in all cases as far as what's been written about Linux, noone
can know everything about everything.  But, at least in Mr. Machrone's
case, he was able to hear the voice of the more reasonable of our
community, publicly admit his errors and publish corrections.

Linux in the computing world has been likend to natural evolution, it
has no "single vision", it has no "bottom line", it has no rules, it
just exists out there under the laws of entropy.  And like nature,
though there are many paths and purposes and off-shoot branches, all of
it becomes symbiotic for each ones existance.

So again, thanks you for helping out.  I look forward to more coverage
of this "little OS that could" (perhaps even a regular section devoted
to Linux in the future).  The way I look at it, the internet gives us
the largest development team of any OS and applications out there.  And
with the press, and word of mouth, we'll soon have the largest marketing
dept. too (And with publications like your's, it'll even be credible.
Won't THAT be a first for computer marketing! :)

Larry Pisani

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

  Larry Pisani
  Unix System Administrator

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

2. watching DVD's in Linux

4. Getting faster answers

6. Filename Question

7. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

8. X Terminals not starting for users

9. Unix/linux "installation user" vs MS Windows "installation user".

10. Which "Windows" is best to emulate Linux ?

11. "Best of breed" or "world class" software licensing practices?

12. What about "Linux World" (new Linux magazine)

13. my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"