You think we're bad?!

Post by rapska » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:18:30

I've been* out over in alt.os.windows-xp, generally just reeling at
the multitudes of issues that people are having with that POS that
"JustWorks" and is "SoEasyToUse" (tm's).  With an average of over 75
posts/hr, most of which are from lusers looking for help with an issue, I
don't see it at all.

So, these people looking for help have the indubitable pleasure of being
"serviced" by entities like kantdoit man, azzwad, re-lick, and others of
that ilk.

Most of this "assistance" is provided in the form of denigrating and
insulting remarks, incompetant and inadequate answers, and references to
sites that often are just as [un]helpful such as the M$ Online "Help"
Center.  BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAA!!!!  Sorry, that was funny.

In lieu of this, I think those factions who like to point at the 'nix
world and our predilection for instructing persons to RTFM, really need to
spend a little time in their own camp and take a look at what's going on
over there.

Hell, I'll take a curt RTFM anyday over being called a *ing
idiot/moron/ignoramus/cunt/dickhead/etc.

In addition, these knowledgeable and heldful individuals the greatest
majority of times don't help or assist at all!  I mean, ok if you have to
take a little abuse to get an answer, then sobeit.  But to be abused
outright and STILL not get any advice is a downright flagrant foul!

I try to help out and offer advice where I can over there.  I know,
blasphemy!  It's just my nature to try and help out if I have the ability
and time to. Truthfully, I really feel so sorry for those poor folks who
are just looking for answers and instead get abuse.

All of this just makes me appreciate the unparalleled friendliness,
competance, committment and support of the OSS community that much more.

Thanks guys!  :-)

--
rapskat -   3:56am  up 4 days, 19:08,  2 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.15, 0.15
Running LGX - Linux + GNU + XFree86: Gentoo flavored

You k'n hide de fier, but w'at you gwine do wid de smoke?
                -- Joel Chandler Harris, proverbs of Uncle Remus

You think we're bad?!

Post by Robt. Mille » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:39:15

> I try to help out and offer advice where I can over there.  I know,
> blasphemy!  It's just my nature to try and help out if I have the ability
> and time to. Truthfully, I really feel so sorry for those poor folks who
> are just looking for answers and instead get abuse.

 I'll drop in there every once in a while and try to answer some
questions, doing _no_ overt proselytizing for Linux in the hope that my
signature will tweak their interest.

--

(o<