Improving Fonts In The Linux Desktop, What I learned

Improving Fonts In The Linux Desktop, What I learned

Post by Stev » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:44:48

Hi all;

I'm a windows user who decided to give linux a try about two weeks
ago.
First Red Hat 7.1 and then Suse 7.2.

I would say that windows users can expect the same ( and better )
experience of features and ease of use from the Linux desktop as they
do from windows. Except for the fonts.  They can be hard to read and
they make web pages look different.

I learned quite a bit about how a Linux desktop user can improve this
situation (though they will not get web pages to display like they do
in a Mac or Windows).

Anyway, I thought I would post a link to what I learned here:
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/Tech/Archive/installTrueTypeFon...

Thanks to all who encouraged to try Suse 7.2.  Its pretty much the
same as Red Hat 7.2 but it has more support for using Linux as a
desktop.

Improving Fonts In The Linux Desktop, What I learned

Post by flatfish++ » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:51:14

Quote:>Hi all;

>I'm a windows user who decided to give linux a try about two weeks
>ago.
>First Red Hat 7.1 and then Suse 7.2.

>I would say that windows users can expect the same ( and better )
>experience of features and ease of use from the Linux desktop as they
>do from windows. Except for the fonts.  They can be hard to read and
>they make web pages look different.

>I learned quite a bit about how a Linux desktop user can improve this
>situation (though they will not get web pages to display like they do
>in a Mac or Windows).

>Anyway, I thought I would post a link to what I learned here:
>http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/Tech/Archive/installTrueTypeFon...

>Thanks to all who encouraged to try Suse 7.2.  Its pretty much the
>same as Red Hat 7.2 but it has more support for using Linux as a
>desktop.

Great Job Steve!!

Contrast this with the miserable instructions given on the RH support
site which don't even work.

http://www.redhat.com/support/alex/215.html

I figured out why they don't work (hint:it has to do with security)
but it is frustrating to type in exactly what is written and have it
fail.

flatfish+++

"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

Post by TomF » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:39:10

> Hi all;

> I'm a windows user who decided

Uh-oh. As T. Max would scream, "Wintroll!!"

Quote:> I would say that windows users can expect the same ( and better )
> experience of features and ease of use from the Linux desktop as they
> do from windows. Except for the fonts.  They can be hard to read and
> they make web pages look different.

Oh, shit. Now you have really stepped in it. This is T. Max's pet project;
anyone who complains about the fonts is complaining about a "non problem."
And, therefore, you must be a wintroll....

Thank god for T. Max protecting us from such trolling....

Post by TomF » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:41:09

> Great Job Steve!!

> Contrast this with the miserable instructions given on the RH support
> site which don't even work.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

T. Max will call us all Trolls for pointing out the non-existent solution
to the non-existent fonts problem on Linux!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Improving Fonts In The Linux Desktop, What I learned

Post by flatfish++ » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:51:09

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 04:41:09 GMT, TomFC

>> Great Job Steve!!

>> Contrast this with the miserable instructions given on the RH support
>> site which don't even work.

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

>T. Max will call us all Trolls for pointing out the non-existent solution
>to the non-existent fonts problem on Linux!!!

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I knoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

Ha ha ha ha!!

Post by Ian Pege » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 02:48:03

>> Great Job Steve!!

>> Contrast this with the miserable instructions given on the RH support
>> site which don't even work.

> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

> T. Max will call us all Trolls for pointing out the non-existent
> solution to the non-existent fonts problem on Linux!!!

> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

What problem? All the fonts just work fine on both my Linux Machines...
even with mentioning the 75dpi ones first in the XF86Config file.

Post by Joseph T. Adam » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:03:33

:> I would say that windows users can expect the same ( and better )
:> experience of features and ease of use from the Linux desktop as they
:> do from windows. Except for the fonts.  They can be hard to read and
:> they make web pages look different.

: Oh, shit. Now you have really stepped in it. This is T. Max's pet project;
: anyone who complains about the fonts is complaining about a "non problem."
: And, therefore, you must be a wintroll....

: Thank god for T. Max protecting us from such trolling....

The available free fonts are fine for printing but not so good for
on-screen viewing at typical (low) resolutions.  That's not a secret.
What is not as well-known is that:

  (1) it possible to set up defaults that, in my opinion at least,
      look better than the way most distros come out of the box;

  (2) all recent versions of XFree86, and KDE and Gnome apps, as well
      as most others, can use TrueType fonts, if you have any.

Joe

Post by Mark Ke » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:48:12

>> Great Job Steve!!

>> Contrast this with the miserable instructions given on the RH support
>> site which don't even work.

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

>T. Max will call us all Trolls for pointing out the non-existent solution
>to the non-existent fonts problem on Linux!!!

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Pointing out a solution means that there is no longer a problem.  You
seem to have a problem with basic logic.  I do hope you don't write
software.  Or have a bank account.

--
Mark Kent
                                               Take out the ham to mail me.

Post by Mark Ke » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:50:17

>> Hi all;

>> I'm a windows user who decided

>Uh-oh. As T. Max would scream, "Wintroll!!"

>> I would say that windows users can expect the same ( and better )
>> experience of features and ease of use from the Linux desktop as they
>> do from windows. Except for the fonts.  They can be hard to read and
>> they make web pages look different.

>Oh, shit. Now you have really stepped in it. This is T. Max's pet project;
>anyone who complains about the fonts is complaining about a "non problem."
>And, therefore, you must be a wintroll....

>Thank god for T. Max protecting us from such trolling....

Why do you continue to troll on this subject?  There are perfectly good
HOWTOs covering various aspects of fonts, including the deuglification
howto, and I think there's a mini-howto solely on Apple's true-type fonts,
as well as something on console fonts.

A problem with a solution is no longer a problem, so why do you troll?

--
Mark Kent
                                               Take out the ham to mail me.

Post by TomF » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:09:01

> Ha ha ha ha!!

I'm glad someone got it....

:-)

Post by TomF » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:12:44

> (2)?all?recent?versions?of?XFree86,?and?KDE?and?Gnome?apps,?as?well
> as?most?others,?can?use?TrueType?fonts,?if?you?have?any.

I know, I know, I know. I pointed this out already. But T. Max called me a
troll for pointing it out. He's very touchy about this whole font thing,
Joseph. I highly recommend you never bring it up again lest you get
lambasted by the likes of the wintroll T. Max.....

Who uses Max, I think, to cover up some of his other shortcomings.

Post by Ed All » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:01:02

>> (2)?all?recent?versions?of?XFree86,?and?KDE?and?Gnome?apps,?as?well
>> as?most?others,?can?use?TrueType?fonts,?if?you?have?any.

>I know, I know, I know. I pointed this out already. But T. Max called me a
>troll for pointing it out. He's very touchy about this whole font thing,
>Joseph. I highly recommend you never bring it up again lest you get
>lambasted by the likes of the wintroll T. Max.....

>Who uses Max, I think, to cover up some of his other shortcomings.

    I doubt that was why Max called you a troll.  More likely your
    fondness for misrepresenting facts (lying for you, simpleton).

    Max does not have the attributes or the attitude of a Wintroll.

    You need to spend more time reflecting on what others say and
    less exposing your own ignorance for everybody else to laugh at.

Post by TomF » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:01:07

> I?doubt?that?was?why?Max?called?you?a?troll.??More?likely?your
> fondness?for?misrepresenting?facts?(lying?for?you,?simpleton).

What facts did I misrepresent?

Read about the death of software engineers in Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.*edcode.com/

Post by TomF » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:32:12

> Why do you continue to troll on this subject???There?are?perfectly?good
> HOWTOs covering various aspects of fonts, including the deuglification
> howto, and I think there's a mini-howto solely on Apple's true-type fonts,
> as well as something on console fonts.

And my pointing out exactly what you just pointed out got me lambasted by
T. Max as a "wintroll."

Quote:> A problem with a solution is no longer a problem,

Wrong.

If a distribution arrives in someone's hands, and it still installs fonts
in such a way as to cause them to be ugly, then the problem still exisits
and it exists for any new user who installs from that disk. The solution
solves the problem after the install. Not before.

Quote:> so why do you troll?

I will probably forever make fun of T. Max for calling me a troll when I
was not trolling.

Post by Mark Ke » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:44:14

>> Why do you continue to troll on this subject???There?are?perfectly?good
>> HOWTOs covering various aspects of fonts, including the deuglification
>> howto, and I think there's a mini-howto solely on Apple's true-type fonts,
>> as well as something on console fonts.

>And my pointing out exactly what you just pointed out got me lambasted by
>T. Max as a "wintroll."

I know T. Max has a bull-terrier like tendency to hang on once he has his
teeth in, but he doesn't usually bite without good reason.

Quote:

>> A problem with a solution is no longer a problem,

>Wrong.

>If a distribution arrives in someone's hands, and it still installs fonts
>in such a way as to cause them to be ugly, then the problem still exisits
>and it exists for any new user who installs from that disk. The solution
>solves the problem after the install. Not before.

I'm not sure that any distro causes fonts to be ugly (maybe this writing
style is what got T. Max interested?).  Fonts are just fonts.  Most if
not all distros have 75dpi fonts selected before 100dpi fonts, which
presumably made sense to someone sometime.  It's simple to change.  If
you really want distros to fix it, put in a change request.  Ranting on
cola about it just looks like trolling.

Quote:

>> so why do you troll?

>I will probably forever make fun of T. Max for calling me a troll when I
>was not trolling.

I think you might consider the possibility that what you were doing,
whilst not being trolling, as you say, might have been indistinguishable
from trolling to any observer?

--
Mark Kent
                                               Take out the ham to mail me.

1. Improving Fonts In The Linux Desktop, What I learned

[...]

2. libsafe

3. Improving Font Display In Linux: What I learned

4. >Entrepreneurs Needed<

5. Learn Linux (Open Systems) Online with Next Generation Learning Technology

6. watchdog enabled and fsck takes to long

7. how to improve bad fonts?

8. File name from file descriptor

9. Improving fonts (SO 5.2)

10. Improved Fonts in X Windows Programs?

11. How To improve TT font support in X

12. how to improve fonts?

13. How can I improve display fonts?