Install of Linux over Win 95 with no DOS < 7?

Install of Linux over Win 95 with no DOS < 7?

Post by David James Mak » Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

        I am hoping to install Linux on my computer disk but
unfortunately, is is preloaded with Windows 95. Can Linux be
installed over Windows 95? Or can it only be installed over
DOS? Also, I have purchased the System Commander software to
manage multiple operating systems but am reluctant to try it
on top of Win 95. Will this be able to work? Please help with
any advice. Thanks, David

Install of Linux over Win 95 with no DOS < 7?

Post by Kaz Kylheku J » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>    I am hoping to install Linux on my computer disk but
>unfortunately, is is preloaded with Windows 95. Can Linux be
>installed over Windows 95? Or can it only be installed over
>DOS? Also, I have purchased the System Commander software to
>manage multiple operating systems but am reluctant to try it
>on top of Win 95. Will this be able to work? Please help with
>any advice. Thanks, David

Of course. Windows95 does not damage the hard disk in any way that would
prevent you from deleting partitions or even doing a low-level format.

Linux is not installed ``over'' anything. It lives inside its own partitions.

It is possible to use Linux over a FAT filesystem---it's called UMSDOS, a
hack to allow UNIX-style long filenames. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone
but a die-hard DOS user who wants to demo Linux to him or herself.

An installation of Linux consists of booting the operating system (most likely
from a floppy), partitioning your hard disk (Linux has its own fdisk utility
for this), creating filesystems and swap space on the newly created
partitions, and finally copying over all the Linux paraphernalia that makes
it run.

Post by Ned Kel » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,

:       I am hoping to install Linux on my computer disk but
: unfortunately, is is preloaded with Windows 95. Can Linux be

There doesn't need to be a pre-existing condition like Windows 95
Disorder for you to install Linux, unless you still want the Windows 95
Disorder around! You can install Linux to a hard drive with nothing on
it.

--
Ned Kelly Lives!!!!!!    http://www.suburbia.net/~nedkelly/Seppo_Navy.html
"That isn't a knife.... This is a KNIFE!" - Paul Hogan

The Navy: It's Not Just A Job..... It's $cientology Lite!

1. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

Hi

I just recently purchased RH 5.0. Next week, I'm hopefully getting a
new computer with WIn 95 on it. I wish to put Linux, Win95 and NT on
either the same 6.3gig HD or 2 separte drives.

Could someone please suggest the best order for installation and what
order to set up the partitions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Nick

P.S. Any replies via email must delete the 'REMOVE' section

2. netscape & smtp

3. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

4. File transfer over serial interface without ppp

5. Connecting Linux <-->Win 95 via PLIP ??

6. IDA Sendmail on Solaris 2.1. How ?

7. dailup network linux <-> Win 95

8. Help me!! ( Shared moemory )

9. Linux <-> Win 95 via Slip/PPP ?

10. looking for ntalk like apps for ||| Linux <---> Win 3.1(/95) |||

11. Linux <--> Win 95 help

12. lilo dos, win-95 and Linux.

13. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server