Yankee Group analyst Laura Didio explains her conclusions re: SCO vs Linux.

Yankee Group analyst Laura Didio explains her conclusions re: SCO vs Linux.

Post by m m » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:34:51

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/13/1055220751243.html

My favorite part is where she says that one of the three groups
that helped SCO do the initial evaluation of the code was a group
from MIT.. Does MIT know about this? She says basically  that
MIT would not lend their name to this case if the case didn't
have merit.

<march>

Yankee Group analyst Laura Didio explains her conclusions re: SCO vs Linux.

Post by billw » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:48:43

Well it doesn't say that MIT sponsored the research, only that some people
from there did the work.  I bet it wasn't Stallman, though.   LOL!

In the Microsoft trial, MIT had professors testifying on both sides.

Quote:> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/13/1055220751243.html

> My favorite part is where she says that one of the three groups
> that helped SCO do the initial evaluation of the code was a group
> from MIT.. Does MIT know about this? She says basically  that
> MIT would not lend their name to this case if the case didn't
> have merit.

> <march>

1. It isn't about SCO vs IBM, it is about SCO vs Linux

We have to remember, SCO's suit against IBM is not about Linux, it is about
a contract dispute and IBM's behaviour.

It may very well be that there is a basis for SCO's complaint. I know this
is a far fetched view, but remember, it is not about the legality of the IP
in Linux, it is about a contract with IBM.

So, everyone is saying that IBM will trounce SCO. Well, sure, probably. That
is not the issue. SCO has claimed IP in Linux, this claim seems unbounded
to the IBM complaint. They are also implying that people who have been
exposed to legacy UNIX have contributed code to Linux.

So, while it is nice to think of IBM as a white knight, I'm not sure we
should be so sure of our situation in that respect.

I am 100% positive that Linux is safe and clean and perfectly legit, but the
finer details could be confusing to a jury.

2. GUS & SB 32 PnP under Linux?

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. Setup Linux host as a SLIP server

5. BENCHMARKS - SCO vs Solaris vs Unixware vs etc...

6. CDE unlock

7. Redhat 7.2 vs Windows XP and conclusions.

8. GCC to ROM image

9. Unix Analyst/Unix Admin/Technical Analyst - Toronto

10. NY Yankees and Linux

11. Linux vs. SCO - SCO losing

12. user and group management - how to emulate groups into groups in linux ?

13. Aberdeen Analyst Finds SCO's Claims Tough To Verify, newsFactor.com