Linux for (pounds)2.95!

Post by Matthew Joseph Smit » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

For those of you living in the UK, the Slackware version of Linux is available
on the front of the current edition of "Personal Computer World" for 2 pounds
95.   (I know Linux is free, but some CD versions charge you about 20 quid for
the CD!)   Also the instructions tell you it is a "Shareware" version of Unix,
but this (as far as I know) isn't true.

The only problem is that all the stuff is compressed so you have to install ALL
of the software onto a hard disk if you're going to use it - you can't run it
off the CD.   And fvwm is the shittest GUI I've ever come across, and you can't
get Motif unless you buy it off OSF.

But it's a good OS otherwise.

Matthew J Smith

--

   "[The Priest] said that if you have to work for anyone, an
        absentee boss is best."

   "A man must make unpopular decisions,
    Hit those nails on the head,
    And I respect a man who goes to where he wants to be
    Even if he wants to be dead."
           - Vic Chesnutt, "Florida" from West of Rome

Linux for (pounds)2.95!

Post by Scott Telfo » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> And fvwm is the shittest GUI I've ever come across, and you can't
> get Motif unless you buy it off OSF.

It's not a GUI, it's a window manager.
In what sense is fvwm "shitter" than mwm, pray tell?

--

University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK.(+44 131 650 5978)
 "Is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?" "What's the difference?" (Snow Crash)

Linux for (pounds)2.95!

Post by Ravi Krishna Swa » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>> And fvwm is the shittest GUI I've ever come across, and you can't
>> get Motif unless you buy it off OSF.

>It's not a GUI, it's a window manager.
>In what sense is fvwm "shitter" than mwm, pray tell?

Geez, I've never seen a shittier window manager than mwm...

Ravi
--
Ravi K. Swamy                http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rkswamy/www/

1. Kernel compile problem with (P)GCC 2.95

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded my compiler to GCC 2.95 and now whenever
I try to compile a kernel (tried it with 2.3.11-15 and 2.2.9) and do
a make bzlilo, towards the end I get the warnings

Warning; using %eax instead of %ax due to ..... ???

When I reboot the system the kernel hangs at

Uncompressing Linux. OK. Booting kernel......

From then on I ve to press the reset button to reanimate my system.

Does anyone know why this happens ???

Greets,

Andreas Spengler

2. 4.3 on a uVax

3. Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

4. Xerox Printer Administration Tool

5. gcc 2.95 vs. 3.0

6. Slip connects but doesn't find network...?

7. gcc 2.95... installation problem

8. unresolved symbols...

9. math.h of gcc 2.95/2.96 on redhat 7.3 platform

10. g++ 2.95 and g++ 3.0 on same debian woody system ???

11. gcc 2.95, segfault when throwing exceptions (_eh_rtime_match)

12. g++ 2.95 on RH6.1

13. Help with GCC 2.95 in Solaris 8