XP Kernel

Post by Kadaitcha Ma » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:54:33

Quote:> I have my system running a dual boot setup with XP and Redhat linux.

Tonight, I installed windows ME on a
Quote:> separate harddrive for some software testing I need to do.  XP is on NTFS

and ME is obviously FAT32, so NT
Quote:> bootloader is having problems starting the ME disk.  I copied hal.dll and

ntoskrnl.exe to the ME \win\sys32
Quote:> folder, but the NT bootloader is now saying it needs more DLL's.  Does

anyone know the fewest dll's neccessary
Quote:> to get my OS running, or is it going to be system dependant?  Thanks for

the help.

You have clobbered the XP boot loader by installing winME. See... linux
really does make you stupid.

HTH

--
Kadaitcha Man
Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

XP Kernel

Post by Al » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:52:29

Did I say anything about not being able to get back into XP? NO.  I'm not an idiot.  I unplugged my XP
harddrive before installing ME so none of the boot sectors got trashed.

> > I have my system running a dual boot setup with XP and Redhat linux.
> Tonight, I installed windows ME on a
> > separate harddrive for some software testing I need to do.  XP is on NTFS
> and ME is obviously FAT32, so NT
> > bootloader is having problems starting the ME disk.  I copied hal.dll and
> ntoskrnl.exe to the ME \win\sys32
> > folder, but the NT bootloader is now saying it needs more DLL's.  Does
> anyone know the fewest dll's neccessary
> > to get my OS running, or is it going to be system dependant?  Thanks for
> the help.

> You have clobbered the XP boot loader by installing winME. See... linux
> really does make you stupid.

> HTH

> --
> Kadaitcha Man
> Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp
> Moderator: comp.os.linux.advocacy

XP Kernel

Post by GeneralP » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:11:22

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:52:29 -0500, Al assert()ed:

Quote:> Did I say anything about not being able to get back into XP? NO.  I'm not an idiot.  I unplugged my XP
> harddrive before installing ME so none of the boot sectors got trashed.

You are an idiot if you unplugged your HDD instead of just disabling it in
the BIOS.

--
Man: Stu! You should buy that!
Stu: Hey: Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

XP Kernel

Post by Al » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:21:48

Look, does anyone know the answer to my question or not?  I'm basically trying to copy the XP kernel to my ME
drive since ME can't access the NTFS drive.  It's a simple question.  What are the fundamental files besides
ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll that the xp kernel needs?

Post by Mr. Berserk » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:39:44

> > I have my system running a dual boot setup with XP and Redhat linux.
>  Tonight, I installed windows ME on a
> > separate harddrive for some software testing I need to do.  XP is on NTFS
>  and ME is obviously FAT32, so NT
> > bootloader is having problems starting the ME disk.  I copied hal.dll and
>  ntoskrnl.exe to the ME \win\sys32
> > folder, but the NT bootloader is now saying it needs more DLL's.  Does
>  anyone know the fewest dll's neccessary
> > to get my OS running, or is it going to be system dependant?  Thanks for
> the help.

Why post here? I'd try a microsoft.* newsgroup if I were you.

Quote:

> You have clobbered the XP boot loader by installing winME. See... linux
> really does make you stupid.

Kaidaitcha Man is an Olog-Hai, I see. You should be ashamed of
yourself for making fun of someone who, while posting off topic about
stuff most of us don't know about, isn't being rude or inaccurate.
Quote:

> HTH

XP Kernel

Post by GreyClou » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:28:06

> Look, does anyone know the answer to my question or not?  I'm basically trying to copy the XP kernel to my ME
> drive since ME can't access the NTFS drive.  It's a simple question.  What are the fundamental files besides
> ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll that the xp kernel needs?

Very clever.  Let us know what the results are after you
succeed. :-)

XP Kernel

Post by GeneralP » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:34:44

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:21:48 -0500, Al assert()ed:

Quote:> Look, does anyone know the answer to my question or not?  I'm basically trying to copy the XP kernel to my ME

Go to www.sysinternals.com and download the NTFS driver for 95/98/Me.

Post by Paul Cook » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:23:06

>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:52:29 -0500, Al assert()ed:
>> > Did I say anything about not being able to get back into XP? NO.  I'm
>> > not an idiot.  I unplugged my XP harddrive before installing ME so
>> > none of the boot sectors got trashed.

>> You are an idiot if you unplugged your HDD instead of just disabling it
>> in the BIOS.

> Look, does anyone know the answer to my question or not?  I'm basically
> trying to copy the XP kernel to my ME drive since ME can't access the
> NTFS drive.  It's a simple question.  What are the fundamental files
> besides ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll that the xp kernel needs?

You're posting into the wrong newsgroup...

try the one next door called alt.os.windows-xp....
but then again, some clown by the name of GeneralPF has deliberately
messed with the follow-up setting hoping that you're too clueless to
notice it...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

XP Kernel

Post by GeneralP » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:23:58

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:23:06 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

>>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:52:29 -0500, Al assert()ed:

>>> You are an idiot if you unplugged your HDD instead of just disabling it
>>> in the BIOS.

>> Look, does anyone know the answer to my question or not?  I'm basically
>> trying to copy the XP kernel to my ME drive since ME can't access the
>> NTFS drive.  It's a simple question.  What are the fundamental files
>> besides ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll that the xp kernel needs?

> You're posting into the wrong newsgroup...

> try the one next door called alt.os.windows-xp....
> but then again, some clown by the name of GeneralPF has deliberately
> messed with the follow-up setting hoping that you're too clueless to
> notice it...

???

What "follow-up setting"?

--

Post by Paul Cook » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:49:15

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:23:06 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

<SNIP>

>> try the one next door called alt.os.windows-xp....
>> but then again, some clown by the name of GeneralPF has deliberately
>> messed with the follow-up setting hoping that you're too clueless to
>> notice it...

> ???

> What "follow-up setting"?

the one /you/ set from "blank" to "comp.os.linux.advocacy" when you replied
to Al in the first place...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819
  Linux Counter: Home Page = http://counter.li.org/

XP Kernel

Post by GeneralP » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:49:33

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:49:15 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:23:06 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

><SNIP>

>>> try the one next door called alt.os.windows-xp....
>>> but then again, some clown by the name of GeneralPF has deliberately
>>> messed with the follow-up setting hoping that you're too clueless to
>>> notice it...

>> ???

>> What "follow-up setting"?

> the one /you/ set from "blank" to "comp.os.linux.advocacy" when you replied
> to Al in the first place...

Blame slrn.

--

Post by Paul Cook » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:54:31

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:49:15 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

>>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:23:06 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

>><SNIP>

>>> ???

>>> What "follow-up setting"?

>> the one /you/ set from "blank" to "comp.os.linux.advocacy" when you
>> replied to Al in the first place...

> Blame slrn.

you mean you have NO control over what it does for you!!! shock horror...

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819
  Linux Counter: Home Page = http://counter.li.org/

XP Kernel

Post by GeneralP » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:14:23

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:54:31 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:49:15 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

>>><SNIP>

>>> the one /you/ set from "blank" to "comp.os.linux.advocacy" when you
>>> replied to Al in the first place...

>> Blame slrn.

> you mean you have NO control over what it does for you!!! shock horror...

I probably hit (F)ollow-up to COLA, but I didn't do so "maliciously".

--
Man: Stu! You should buy that!
Stu: Hey: Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

XP Kernel

Post by Johan Lindquis » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:19:17

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 at 21:54 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:49:15 +0000, Paul Cooke assert()ed:

>>> the one /you/ set from "blank" to "comp.os.linux.advocacy" when
>>> you replied to Al in the first place...

>> Blame slrn.

> you mean you have NO control over what it does for you!!! shock
> horror...

Come now, it can be a little tricky figuring uot how to respond to the
text "Crossposting. Followup-To this group, Post to this group only,
Ignore, Cancel?", don't you agree?

Perhaps some more manuals are required for the newbie slrn user.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  9:09pm  up 14 days,  3:05,  2 users,  load average: 1.64, 1.66, 1.64

XP Kernel

Post by Jim Richardso » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:22:07

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

1. ECS DeskNote A929 (i-Buddie XP) (Kernel 2.4.18 & 2.4.19rc3)

I have just aquired an ECS DeskNote A929 (i-Buddie XP). This
machine is supposed to be based on:
SiS 740 North Bridge
SiS 961 South Bridge
with integrated network interface (and graphics and other features).

I found that I could not make the kernel detect the network
card, despite the fact that I had built support for 'SiS 900/7096'
into the kernel.

I found a patch which identified a need to add the SiS 740 and
SiS 961 into pci.ids, and which suggested that this was all that was
necessary to make the 740/961 work.

I find that my kernel does not create /proc/pci which suggests
to me something quite fundamental.

I ran lspci -H2 and I get:

00:04.0 Class 000e: 00c1:0000
00:08.0 Class 000e: 00c1:0000
00:0c.0 Class 0000: 0040:0000

The 0000 class code worries me, as do the vendor and device ID's.

The machine came with a 'ThizLinux' CD which has 2.4.18 kernel,
so someone has made it work, but I don't have the sources.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave Humphreys
-

2. 2.4.20-pre2 RTFM Documentation/oops-tracing.txt

3. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

4. A Hiding Partition

5. Dual boot XP / Linux wont boot into XP

6. Filesystem mount points and general advice needed

7. Dual setup OEM XP and Linux - backup XP HOWTO ?

8. intro

9. RH9 and XP - Can't access RH frm XP Network Neighborhood

10. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

11. kernel rpm for athlon xp is i686 ok ??

12. How do I update my kernel using Win XP bootloader

13. The Kernel of XP