Win 3.11 port to linux Would you use it?

Win 3.11 port to linux Would you use it?

Post by Smartpatro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If Microsoft ported windows 3.11(Non-X windows based) to Linux would you use
it ?Assuming that it would be easier than porting a win95 GUI. Just a
thought

Post by Person » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If Microsoft ported windows 3.11(Non-X windows based) to Linux would you use
> it ?Assuming that it would be easier than porting a win95 GUI. Just a
> thought

My answer is not only no, but HELL NO!  I like the way Linux and X-windows run
on my machine, and I sure don't want to degrade just to go back to Windows.  If
I really had to run Windows apps, I would use WINE.

Besides, 7 months ago Windows committed Hari-Kari on my machine, so I made the
machine a dedicated Linux machine....Funny how I haven't missed Windows yet.

I won't go back to Windows...
--Persona

Post by Jay O'Conno » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If Microsoft ported windows 3.11(Non-X windows based) to Linux would you use
> it ?Assuming that it would be easier than porting a win95 GUI. Just a
> thought

I thought Andrew Schulman and Co already demonstrated that Win95 was
effectively just DOS7.0 and Windows 3.11 with new dressing.  That all
the *real* architectural changes occured either between 3.0 and 3.1 or
3.1 and 3.11 but that they weren't realized (used much) until Win95.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't use it.  I'd rather have OS/2 WPS ( I
know...I know...no chance) or maybe NextStep (AfterStep?).

Maybe I'll just use Squeak as my GUI....
Take care,

--
-----------------------------------
Jay O'Connor

http://www.roadrunner.com/~joconnor
http://www.ezboard.com

"God himself plays the bass strings first when He tunes the soul"

Win 3.11 port to linux Would you use it?

Post by FoulDrag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>If Microsoft ported windows 3.11(Non-X windows based) to Linux would you use
>it ?Assuming that it would be easier than porting a win95 GUI. Just a
>thought

I would use it in the same way I use WINE today:  to run apps by unenlightened
orginizations that have yet to be released for Linux.  It is doubtful they can
trump the convinence and features of my X11 desktop with a port of Win3..... I
used to use it, so I know.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii Dra'torrinah(Clan Nightwings)
members.xoom.com/marada   Colony name not needed in address.

Win 3.11 port to linux Would you use it?

Post by FoulDrag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Maybe I'll just use Squeak as my GUI....

Squeak?
--

Post by Jay O'Conn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>>Maybe I'll just use Squeak as my GUI....

>Squeak?

Squeak is a version of Smalltalk.  It runs under Linux and a host of
other OSs.  It comes with a built in Web Server and Browser and a
whole bunc of other tools.  It uses a class MVC architecture for it's
UI but also has something new it borrrowed from Self called Morphic
which is really cool but too hard to describe properly in a short
space.

Check out http://www.create.ucsb.edu/squeak/

Like all Smaltalk environments, it comes with the tools needed to
manipulate files, including moving, deleting, editing, etc..  Suqake
is open source so you can rewrite the environment (from within the
environment) to add new tools as you need.

Quote:>--
>Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii Dra'torrinah(Clan Nightwings)
>members.xoom.com/marada   Colony name not needed in address.
>'Only two things benefit from being closed source:  Win9x and the mind.'

Take care,
Jay O'Connor

http://www.roadrunner.com/~joconnor
http://www.ezboard.com

"God himself plays on the bass strings first, when he tunes the soul"

Win 3.11 port to linux Would you use it?

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It was the Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:33:52 GMT...

Quote:> Squeak is a version of Smalltalk.  It runs under Linux and a host of
> other OSs.  It comes with a built in Web Server and Browser and a
> whole bunc of other tools.  It uses a class MVC architecture for it's
> UI but also has something new it borrrowed from Self called Morphic
> which is really cool but too hard to describe properly in a short
> space.

> Check out http://www.create.ucsb.edu/squeak/

You could call this a desktop environment, couldn't you? Sounds like
something I should throw into the "Linux Desktop Environments" section
in the FRT appendix, since what's in there is altogether too
C(++)-centric (Gnome, KDE, UDE).

mawa
--
Contemporary American feminism's simplistic psychology is illustrated
by the new cliche of the date-rape furor: "`No' always means `no'."

Win 3.11 port to linux Would you use it?

Post by Gary R By » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My reaction is WHY???  I hated 3.x and I'm and MCSE.  I make my living
off of MicroSlut.  When I used 3.x I was all ways searching for shells
just so I could get rid of the Program Manager ball & chain.  Linux
has never had to deal with that horror...

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:21:02 -0700, "Smartpatrol"

>If Microsoft ported windows 3.11(Non-X windows based) to Linux would you use
>it ?Assuming that it would be easier than porting a win95 GUI. Just a
>thought

1. Network between Win 3.11/Win 95 machine and Linux machine

        The problem that I have is that I want to use internet stuff, and
other junk from my linux machine, but my modem is on the WIN 3.11 machine.
Currently I am running a network when both computers are w\running
workhgroups and this works well, but due placement of phone lines, I can't
get a connection to the room where the linux machine is. It is the superior
machine as well, so obviously this would be advantagious.
        Put shortly

        I want to link my linux computer to my windows 3.11 computer and
running use the internet.  And if possible the printer (HP 540).

Thanks in advance
Please mail responses to

Thanks

2. File size limit on Slackware 8.0?

3. Win 3.11 32 bit disk access and Linux fdisk

4. pageup key with aixterm

5. Linux 'v' Win 3.11

6. Looking for (U of Arizona) File Comparison Article (or "help me!, help me! :->)

7. Sharing printer between Linux computer and Win 3.11 or Win95 computer?

8. Strategies

9. Help Bootquestion Linux Redhat 5.0 with Dos 6.2/Win 3.11/Win95 .

10. Networking Win 3.11 to Linux box ???

11. X11 serveur on Win 3.11 with linux

12. Installing Mandrake Linux on a Pentium 100 w/DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11

13. Win 3.11 swap file = Linux Swap?