A Trip to the Store

A Trip to the Store

Post by Mark S. Bi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




Quote:>This is just a silly post ...

Why?  It's a perfectly valid observation.  And it's believ-
able because Canup has posted under his real name, from a

If you look him up in DejaNews, you see that he has posted
to various Linux newsgroups, and has written a general-
purpose data entry program for Linux, and submitted it under
the GPL.  

This is far more credible than all the anti-Linux "It wouldn't
install; I went back to Windows" posts that come from fake
names and non-existent accounts, but all with very similar
headers, and NNTP-Posting-Hosts that all just happen to be
in New York state.


>> This is a copy of an email I sent to my brother.

>> 2/19/2000

>> Today I went over to Microcenter after Aikido. I was there for about 20
>> minutes. Here is what I saw. There was a shelf full of Windows 2000
>> boxes. In the time I was there I didn't see a single person even touch
>> one of them. There weren't any holes in the display - just smooth even
>> rows of product. In the whole store - there were several displays - it
>> appeared that there were about 3 copies missing from one of the
>> displays. The Windows 2000 boxes reminded me of a herd of beached whales
>> - they weren't even flopping around.

>> Here is what else I saw: at least 10 people with copies of Linux in
>> their hands. I Saw 5 or 6 people in the section of the books on Linux
>> looking at the various books. I didn't see anyone looking at the Windows
>> books. I heard 4 different conversations of people walking past me who
>> were talking about Linux. Nobody was talking about W2k. While I was in
>> the check out line the guy in front of me asked about W2k. The girl said
>> the UPGRADE (from NT Workstation ) copy was $199.00. The guy shook his
>> head and said "Those guys have priced them selves out of the market, no
>> wonder Linux is taking over.

>> Today is the first time in a retail store that I got the feeling "YES!"
>> I was tempted to do the Engineer's victory dance - but I just smiled.

>> Bob

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> >This is just a silly post ...

> Why?  It's a perfectly valid observation.  And it's believ-
> able because Canup has posted under his real name, from a


You're exactly right...  Drestin and Chad stick togther simply because
they're Windows lovers, so us Linvocates should be sticking together.  We
should only flame the WinTrolls.

Notice how I said Drestin and Chad are "Windows lovers", which could have
multiple meanings:

1.)  Chad and Drestin both love Windows and are trolls
2.)  Chad and Drestin are lovers who use Windows
3.)  Chad and Drestin love each other AND Windows

Note that in #3, there's a 3-way going on with Windows, Chad, and
Drestin.:)

So, where the hell has Ozonis been hiding?  (Someone emailed me and told
me Chad Mulligan was really Martin Ozonis.)  I already know what Drestin's
real name is, but he wishes to remain anonymous, so I won't repeat
it.  (He doesn't want net-kooks tracking him down.

BTW, I think Boris stinks.  Let's face it, someone who uses the word stink
as much as Boris has to have issues with the way he smells.

- Donn

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> > Today is the first time in a retail store that I got the feeling "YES!"
> > I was tempted to do the Engineer's victory dance - but I just smiled.

> engineers have a dance?   this should be good!  how might one learn this
> dance or at least see a demo?

It's called "The Robot".

- Donn

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Joe Ponke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Quote:

> Today is the first time in a retail store that I got the feeling "YES!"
> I was tempted to do the Engineer's victory dance - but I just smiled.

engineers have a dance?   this should be good!  how might one learn this
dance or at least see a demo?
 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Mark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > > Today is the first time in a retail store that I got the feeling "YES!"
> > > I was tempted to do the Engineer's victory dance - but I just smiled.

> > engineers have a dance?   this should be good!  how might one learn this
> > dance or at least see a demo?

> It's called "The Robot".

> - Donn

why is it that Dilbert comes to mind, and then I shudder while thinking
about the above.   <brrr>

:)

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Drestin Blac » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



<snip> I already know what Drestin's

Quote:> real name is, but he wishes to remain anonymous, so I won't repeat
> it.  (He doesn't want net-kooks tracking him down.

wrong, right, thanks. (right
 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by 5X » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> So, where the hell has Ozonis been hiding?  (Someone emailed me and told
> me Chad Mulligan was really Martin Ozonis.)  I already know what Drestin's
> real name is, but he wishes to remain anonymous, so I won't repeat
> it.  (He doesn't want net-kooks tracking him down.

I can respect that completely, even though I know full well that he would
never grant anyone the same.

p0ok

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Mig Mi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> >This is just a silly post ...

> Why?  It's a perfectly valid observation.  And it's believ-
> able because Canup has posted under his real name, from a

> If you look him up in DejaNews, you see that he has posted
> to various Linux newsgroups, and has written a general-
> purpose data entry program for Linux, and submitted it under
> the GPL.  

Im not questioning that he wrote a data entry program or that his
observation was valid. I think that its great that he did.. and i also feel
the need to do something for the community. There is something called
"altruism" (I hope its a valid english term) , something Windows advocates
never understand because they allways thinking about money. Just lets not
loose sense of reality.

Its pleasing  that Linux has  now amazingly has 4 % of the workstation
market - nearly the same as the mac . and that i prefer, use and promote
Linux as much as i can. I just dont see Linux making an impact at a store.
Lets face it, there are too many annoying little things that make life very
difficult for the average user.  And yes, i do Windows suppport for a
living, i know that the average user also has terrible problems with
Windows and the MacIntosh

I just cannot picture 10 people with Linux distros at the local
computerstore. Sorry but i just cant at the moment. Maybe Corel and IBM's
entry in this segment will change things. I dont care if the average user
uses Linux or not  - I use iLinux because i chose too.

 > This is far more credible than all the anti-Linux "It wouldn't

Quote:> install; I went back to Windows" posts that come from fake
> names and non-existent accounts, but all with very similar
> headers, and NNTP-Posting-Hosts that all just happen to be
> in New York state.

I agree,  all the distros i have tryed recently RedHat since 5.1, Mandrake
and Corel are by fair easyer to install than any Windows version. This even
on a network and yes they alll worked at the first try.
 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by mvest » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Simaler experience here. The store had just 3 copies on the shelf. The clerk I
spoke to claimed he hadn't seen any get sold.  Definitely not the same as the
Windows 95 release event.  I saw one person check out a Windows 2000 but put
it down after he saw the upgrade price.

The Linux section now occupies way more shelf space than all the MS os's. The
clerk claims that Redhat 6.1 and Corel are selling well.



Quote:>This is a copy of an email I sent to my brother.

>2/19/2000

>Today I went over to Microcenter after Aikido. I was there for about 20
>minutes. Here is what I saw. There was a shelf full of Windows 2000
>boxes. In the time I was there I didn't see a single person even touch
>one of them. There weren't any holes in the display - just smooth even
>rows of product. In the whole store - there were several displays - it
>appeared that there were about 3 copies missing from one of the
>displays. The Windows 2000 boxes reminded me of a herd of beached whales
>- they weren't even flopping around.

>Here is what else I saw: at least 10 people with copies of Linux in
>their hands. I Saw 5 or 6 people in the section of the books on Linux
>looking at the various books. I didn't see anyone looking at the Windows
>books. I heard 4 different conversations of people walking past me who
>were talking about Linux. Nobody was talking about W2k. While I was in
>the check out line the guy in front of me asked about W2k. The girl said
>the UPGRADE (from NT Workstation ) copy was $199.00. The guy shook his
>head and said "Those guys have priced them selves out of the market, no
>wonder Linux is taking over.

>Today is the first time in a retail store that I got the feeling "YES!"
>I was tempted to do the Engineer's victory dance - but I just smiled.

>Bob

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by sfcyb.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




Quote:

> > Today is the first time in a retail store that I got the feeling
"YES!"
> > I was tempted to do the Engineer's victory dance - but I just
smiled.

> engineers have a dance?   this should be good!  how might one learn
this
> dance or at least see a demo?

The demo is better than the real thing.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Robert Canu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Deleted

A few points,

1." The Engineer's Victory Dance" is from Dilbert.

2. The key word in the phrase "Anecdotal evidence" is the word
'evidence'. The word 'anecdotal' is a modifier which tells what kind of
evidence is being reported. Good researchers recognize this, and if they
start hearing similar stories from multiple sources they investigate.
What they do realize is that an anecdotal report represents a single
data point, and that a single data point is not enough from which to
draw any conclusions. What I reported is a single data point - it may be
anomalous - but for the reasons I give in the next section I have reason
to believe that my observation is a data point on a trend line.

3. The reason I wrote the article is that this is the first time that I
have sensed 'retail momentum' for Linux. Having worked in computer
retailing  I can tell you that an experienced sales person can go into a
store and get a 'feel' for when a product is 'hot'. Each time I have
gone into Microcenter over the last year - I have felt the momentum for
Linux building. Saturday is the first time that I got the 'retail feel'
that Linux was the hot product.

3. Yes I am a real person - for anyone who is interested my home page is
at

www.hal-pc.org/~rcanup

4. Life is too short for me to waste it making false observations. That
is the sort of thing which a young person who is seeking the illusion of
power that youth brings does. I will be 52 next month - my days of
basking in illusions of power are long since past.

Young people have a 'special glow' to them which they can see that older
people don't have, they think that older people just don't get it. We
get it, but we have learned this fact: that 'glow' is created by
illusions of power, and is itself an illusion.

Actual power feels like nothing - you do something, and things happen.
The target of the power gets the force, and if it is animate, feels that
force - but as the initiator you feel nothing.  

A Senior Black Belt at the dojo who didn't know me very well - after
checking up on what I had to say say about something - recently
observed: "Canup, I have realized that when you say something, I can
pretty much take it to the bank." Honesty gives you real power with
people - lies, and trickery, give you the illusion that you have power -
but people aren't stupid - they soon see through falsehoods.

5. I honestly reported what I observed. I may have been in a brief time
where statistical scatter presented a false impression - but I don't
think so.

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by sfcyb.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




Quote:> 5. I honestly reported what I observed. I may have been in a brief
time
> where statistical scatter presented a false impression - but I don't
> think so.

I think your observations are correct. I had a similar conversation with
a sales clerk earlier. Then again, Just look at the relative amount of
shelf space for a good idea how an OS is selling.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Red Ha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > Deleted

> 3. Yes I am a real person - for anyone who is interested my home page is
> at

> www.hal-pc.org/~rcanup

> 4. Life is too short for me to waste it making false observations. That
> is the sort of thing which a young person who is seeking the illusion of
> power that youth brings does. I will be 52 next month - my days of
> basking in illusions of power are long since past.

> Young people have a 'special glow' to them which they can see that older
> people don't have, they think that older people just don't get it. We
> get it, but we have learned this fact: that 'glow' is created by
> illusions of power, and is itself an illusion.

> Actual power feels like nothing - you do something, and things happen.
> The target of the power gets the force, and if it is animate, feels that
> force - but as the initiator you feel nothing.

> A Senior Black Belt at the dojo who didn't know me very well - after
> checking up on what I had to say say about something - recently
> observed: "Canup, I have realized that when you say something, I can
> pretty much take it to the bank." Honesty gives you real power with
> people - lies, and trickery, give you the illusion that you have power -
> but people aren't stupid - they soon see through falsehoods.

> 5. I honestly reported what I observed. I may have been in a brief time
> where statistical scatter presented a false impression - but I don't
> think so.

Hmm ... Buddhist or just SOM?
 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Jeff Szark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




:This is a copy of an email I sent to my brother.
:
:
:2/19/2000

<snip>

Sure you did...

 
 
 

A Trip to the Store

Post by Jeff Szark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



:

:>This is just a silly post ...
:
:Why?  It's a perfectly valid observation.  And it's believ-
:able because Canup has posted under his real name, from a

:If you look him up in DejaNews, you see that he has posted
:to various Linux newsgroups, and has written a general-
:purpose data entry program for Linux, and submitted it under
:the GPL.  
:
:This is far more credible than all the anti-Linux "It wouldn't
:install; I went back to Windows" posts that come from fake
:names and non-existent accounts, but all with very similar
:headers, and NNTP-Posting-Hosts that all just happen to be
:in New York state.

Okay then the following is not a silly post either:

Today I went to my local software retailer and I saw 56 people buying
Windows 2000 and only 1 buying Linux.

This is my real name, this is my real address, you can even finger it,
you can look me up at Deja.com and see I post to Windows newsgroups.

The above is a total lie, I ordered Win2k online but according to you
it's perfectly valid for me to make whatever claim I'd like. (since I
have a real account and a real name)

So anyway, what was your point?