What is missing on the linux desktop /Desktop Wishlist

What is missing on the linux desktop /Desktop Wishlist

Post by Anthony_Bark » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:00:45

Linux Desktop Wishlist

Looking and Mandrake 9.1 and knoppix (kde 3.1.1) - there have been
large strides in Linux on the desktop. Here is a short list of items I
still wish to see in linux desktops.

1) Groupware
a) Mozilla Calendar to work properly
Currently it is crippled and needs some work. It should support ITIP
and read emailed Outlook events.
b) Release of OSAFoundation Chandler PIM - (and work)
c) Mozilla to start faster
d) Mozilla mail to support Notepad/Memo function.
The messages could be storable in imap folders.
e) Palm sync with Mozilla/Chandler

2) WordProcessing
Table support in Abiword, better table support in kword

3) Accounting
a) GNUe small business accounting software to be release (and work)
b) Linux Accounting app that supports POS

4) OpenOffice more accessable to programmers
It is difficult for developers to get started and contribute to this
project as it is so large and complex.

5) OpenOffice to start quicker in linux (like the Ximian Hack)
(seems like suse has implemented this one)

6) Grammer checker in OpenOffice

7) A Lotus Approach/MS Access/FileMaker Pro replacement

8) Wine to play Windows Children's games more easily.
Currently my experience is that they take a lot of tweaking and then
don't necessarily run.

Anthony
http://xminc.com/mt/archives/000012.html

Post by cybea » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:29:47

>>Linux Desktop Wishlist

>>Looking and Mandrake 9.1 and knoppix (kde 3.1.1) - there have been
>>large strides in Linux on the desktop. Here is a short list of items I
>>still wish to see in linux desktops.

>>1) Groupware
>>a) Mozilla Calendar to work properly
>>Currently it is crippled and needs some work. It should support ITIP
>>and read emailed Outlook events.
>>b) Release of OSAFoundation Chandler PIM - (and work)
>>c) Mozilla to start faster
>>d) Mozilla mail to support Notepad/Memo function.
>>The messages could be storable in imap folders.
>>e) Palm sync with Mozilla/Chandler

>>2) WordProcessing
>>Table support in Abiword, better table support in kword

>>3) Accounting
>>a) GNUe small business accounting software to be release (and work)
>>b) Linux Accounting app that supports POS

>>4) OpenOffice more accessable to programmers
>>It is difficult for developers to get started and contribute to this
>>project as it is so large and complex.

>>5) OpenOffice to start quicker in linux (like the Ximian Hack)
>>(seems like suse has implemented this one)

>>6) Grammer checker in OpenOffice

>>7) A Lotus Approach/MS Access/FileMaker Pro replacement

>>8) Wine to play Windows Children's games more easily.
>>Currently my experience is that they take a lot of tweaking and then
>>don't necessarily run.

>>Anthony
>>http://xminc.com/mt/archives/000012.html

> I'd be happy if it just worked properly.

happy.

Post by Edward Rost » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 23:14:38

> 6) Grammer checker in OpenOffice

I love the irony in misspellng grammar. Sorry, I couldn't help that.

If you rely on a grammar checker, then you should probably read a book
on grammar. They're currently worthless, unless you write like a 5
year old American.

-Ed

Post by Rick » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 01:02:34

> Linux Desktop Wishlist

> Looking and Mandrake 9.1 and knoppix (kde 3.1.1) - there have been
> large strides in Linux on the desktop. Here is a short list of items I
> still wish to see in linux desktops.

> 1) Groupware
> a) Mozilla Calendar to work properly
> Currently it is crippled and needs some work. It should support ITIP
> and read emailed Outlook events.
> b) Release of OSAFoundation Chandler PIM - (and work)
> c) Mozilla to start faster

... why? WHy just mozilla? Are you comparing it to the start speed of
IE/window$... when large parts of IE are already loaded into memory?

Quote:> d) Mozilla mail to support Notepad/Memo function.
> The messages could be storable in imap folders.
> e) Palm sync with Mozilla/Chandler

Are you requesting mozilla become a Palm OS desktop app too? That would be
interesting, if they could also develop a standalone browser.

Quote:

> 2) WordProcessing
> Table support in Abiword, better table support in kword

... as opposed to OO.o?

Quote:

> 3) Accounting
> a) GNUe small business accounting software to be release (and work)
> b) Linux Accounting app that supports POS

> 4) OpenOffice more accessable to programmers
> It is difficult for developers to get started and contribute to this
> project as it is so large and complex.

> 5) OpenOffice to start quicker in linux (like the Ximian Hack)
> (seems like suse has implemented this one)

> 6) Grammer checker in OpenOffice

-Grammar- scheckers suck. They are wrong more often than they are right.

Quote:

> 7) A Lotus Approach/MS Access/FileMaker Pro replacement

MySQL, PostgreSQL.

Quote:

> 8) Wine to play Windows Children's games more easily.
> Currently my experience is that they take a lot of tweaking and then
> don't necessarily run.

Why not more Linux native children's games?

Quote:

--
Rick

Post by Rick » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 01:03:17

>>Linux Desktop Wishlist

>>Looking and Mandrake 9.1 and knoppix (kde 3.1.1) - there have been
>>large strides in Linux on the desktop. Here is a short list of items I
>>still wish to see in linux desktops.

>>1) Groupware
>>a) Mozilla Calendar to work properly
>>Currently it is crippled and needs some work. It should support ITIP
>>and read emailed Outlook events.
>>b) Release of OSAFoundation Chandler PIM - (and work)
>>c) Mozilla to start faster
>>d) Mozilla mail to support Notepad/Memo function.
>>The messages could be storable in imap folders.
>>e) Palm sync with Mozilla/Chandler

>>2) WordProcessing
>>Table support in Abiword, better table support in kword

>>3) Accounting
>>a) GNUe small business accounting software to be release (and work)
>>b) Linux Accounting app that supports POS

>>4) OpenOffice more accessable to programmers
>>It is difficult for developers to get started and contribute to this
>>project as it is so large and complex.

>>5) OpenOffice to start quicker in linux (like the Ximian Hack)
>>(seems like suse has implemented this one)

>>6) Grammer checker in OpenOffice

>>7) A Lotus Approach/MS Access/FileMaker Pro replacement

>>8) Wine to play Windows Children's games more easily.
>>Currently my experience is that they take a lot of tweaking and then
>>don't necessarily run.

>>Anthony
>>http://xminc.com/mt/archives/000012.html

> I'd be happy if it just worked properly.

It does work properly. You are just too stupid to realize it doesn't work
like window$.
--
Rick

Post by Freerid » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 01:36:43

> I'd be happy if it just worked properly.

Your brain does not work properly, Linux only does what you tell it to do.

What is missing on the linux desktop /Desktop Wishlist

Post by Dave Leig » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:25:50

Anthony_Barker wrote on Wednesday 02 April 2003 10:00 in message

Quote:> Linux Desktop Wishlist

> Looking and Mandrake 9.1 and knoppix (kde 3.1.1) - there have been
> large strides in Linux on the desktop. Here is a short list of items I
> still wish to see in linux desktops.

I'll add my two cents...

1 f) (Groupware) A native Lotus Notes client

9) Better music composing/typesetting tools (NoteEdit is getting there).

10) A better replacement for MS Project which can utilize the MS Project
files (file compatibility optional). For me personally this is of lesser
importance these days... I've managed my last several projects nicely
with Lotus Notes databases).

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Post by mathew » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 23:59:10

>> 6) Grammer checker in OpenOffice

> I love the irony in misspellng grammar. Sorry, I couldn't help that.

> If you rely on a grammar checker, then you should probably read a book
> on grammar. They're currently worthless, unless you write like a 5 year
> old American.

They also generally propose changes to good sentences which are
grammatical errors within themselves.

What is missing on the linux desktop /Desktop Wishlist

Post by Anthony_Bark » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 05:19:52

Ok you got me -

There are more people who use English as a second language than as a
first. There are more people in China studying English than there are
native English speakers in the world (Most people in India use it as a
second language).

Cheers,

Anthony

Post by anthony_barke » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:30:21

> Anthony_Barker wrote on Wednesday 02 April 2003 10:00 in message

>> Linux Desktop Wishlist

>> Looking and Mandrake 9.1 and knoppix (kde 3.1.1) - there have been
>> large strides in Linux on the desktop. Here is a short list of items I
>> still wish to see in linux desktops.
> I'll add my two cents...

> 1 f) (Groupware) A native Lotus Notes client

Friend of mine who works for IBM says that it should be coming in R7.
ACtually I find it runs perfectly under wine.

Quote:> 9) Better music composing/typesetting tools (NoteEdit is getting there).

> 10) A better replacement for MS Project which can utilize the MS Project
> files (file compatibility optional). For me personally this is of lesser
> importance these days... I've managed my last several projects nicely
> with Lotus Notes databases).

Suse has some project management software. All I really need is the gantt
charts. Mr Project works ok I suppose.

Post by anthony_barke » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:44:21

>> c) Mozilla to start faster

> ... why? WHy just mozilla? Are you comparing it to the start speed of
> IE/window$... when large parts of IE are already loaded into memory?

I have 512 Meg of RAM on one machine and 1024 Meg on the other. I would like
it to use that instead of my time. Its not a huge deal. Konqueror starts
fast and now it supports tabs.

Quote:>> 2) WordProcessing
>> Table support in Abiword, better table support in kword

> ... as opposed to OO.o?

I find OO.o really slow sometimes and prefer the lighter alternatives. I
don't know if you remember AmiPro - Lotus bought it and turned it into
word pro. I ran very quickly on 6 meg of ram - the min was 2 on a 386!!

No print preview - because it was always WYSWYG.

I like those two light editors - all I need is better table support.
(Kword has support but it is a bit odd).

Quote:> -Grammar- scheckers suck. They are wrong more often than they are right.

This is more for my wife (who is Chinese).

Quote:

>> 7) A Lotus Approach/MS Access/FileMaker Pro replacement

> MySQL, PostgreSQL.

There are some nice front ends to mysql with php.
PyCard is trying to do something - not really there yet
GNUe has something like it - but not quite there yet.

Quote:

>> 8) Wine to play Windows Children's games more easily.
>> Currently my experience is that they take a lot of tweaking and then
>> don't necessarily run.

> Why not more Linux native children's games?

Most of the stuff is going online now (Flash & Director). But there are
hundreds of decent kids games around now. Why reinvent the wheel?
Wine works with them - it is just hard to install them and get them
working.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=b5s51i%24ipc%2406%241%40news.t-on...

This guy has a kazaa installer seems to work with games. I will check it
out.

Cheers,

Anthony

What is missing on the linux desktop /Desktop Wishlist

Post by Dave Leig » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 06:59:23

anthony_barker wrote on Tuesday 01 April 2003 22:30 in message

>> Anthony_Barker wrote on Wednesday 02 April 2003 10:00 in message

>>> Linux Desktop Wishlist

>>> Looking and Mandrake 9.1 and knoppix (kde 3.1.1) - there have been
>>> large strides in Linux on the desktop. Here is a short list of items I
>>> still wish to see in linux desktops.

>> I'll add my two cents...

>> 1 f) (Groupware) A native Lotus Notes client

> Friend of mine who works for IBM says that it should be coming in R7.
> ACtually I find it runs perfectly under wine.

Yeah, it does. I prefer running native clients over WINE, though. I still
remember the taste of OS/2's failure (and the reason for same).

Quote:>> 9) Better music composing/typesetting tools (NoteEdit is getting there).

>> 10) A better replacement for MS Project which can utilize the MS Project
>> files (file compatibility optional). For me personally this is of lesser
>> importance these days... I've managed my last several projects nicely
>> with Lotus Notes databases).

> Suse has some project management software. All I really need is the gantt
> charts. Mr Project works ok I suppose.

Actually, Gantt charts are nice and all that, but I find that they're the
least important thing in really *managing* a project, at least for me.
Actually assigning and managing the tasks and logging work against them,
communicating changes and real information are far more important, IMHO.
I'm doing all of that with a custom Notes database at the moment.
Although... you've just sparked a good idea! THANKS! :)  (really!)

--

Post by Edward Rost » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:36:36

> Ok you got me -

> There are more people who use English as a second language than as a
> first. There are more people in China studying English than there are
> native English speakers in the world (Most people in India use it as a
> second language).

I know. I have had indirect experience of a non native English speaker who
believed the Grammar Checker. Mangled the poor person's document completely.

Like I said unless you write very simple Grammar in the US Engish style, it'll
work. Anything more complex (and it doesn't need to much more complex) will
throw up errors. At that point you have to be quite god to know what is correct
and what is not. That's why even non-native speakers should give them a very
wide berth.

-Ed

What is missing on the linux desktop /Desktop Wishlist

Post by anthony_barke » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:51:36

Quote:>>> I'll add my two cents...

>>> 1 f) (Groupware) A native Lotus Notes client

>> Friend of mine who works for IBM says that it should be coming in R7.
>> ACtually I find it runs perfectly under wine.

> Yeah, it does. I prefer running native clients over WINE, though. I still
> remember the taste of OS/2's failure (and the reason for same).

David:

What do you use for accounting software?

I've looked at SQL-Ledger, and although it works I found
the underlying code messy and not too easy to extend(perl)

GNU Entreprise is elegant but isn't yet fully functional
(python + wxPython)

Is there any other projects that I have missed (Nola?)?

Thanks,

Anthony
http://xminc.com/linux/

Post by Bo Grime » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:36:01

>>> Friend of mine who works for IBM says that it should be coming in R7.
>>> ACtually I find it runs perfectly under wine.

>> Yeah, it does. I prefer running native clients over WINE, though. I still
>> remember the taste of OS/2's failure (and the reason for same).

> David:

> What do you use for accounting software?

I'm not David, and he's the man to ask, for sure, but I am replying because
the insert of "Linux Pro" that came with the Feb issue of "Linux Format"
has an article called "Taking Linux into Account."

It's an article on http://www.accpac.com/ which has products avaliable for
Linux, such as
http://www.accpac.com/products/finance/accwin/accpaclinux.asp
and
http://www.accpac.com/products/finance/pro/whatsnew71.asp

--
Bo G
"Mankind does nothing save through initiatives on the part of inventors,