false statement

Post by w joseph mant » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I got a phone call from the author of the article in less than
an hour after I sent them an email.  He seemed to be confused
on exactly what "VA Linux" was providing.  The incorrect paragraph
suggests that "VA Linux" is developing new expensive hardware
components that are neccesary for Linux to run on.
He wants to do a correction to the article.  I answered some
questions and later sent him an email.

It would be nice if somebody with more time and knowledge than me
can send him an email explaining why different hardware components
may be desireable for a PC running Linux than a PC running Windows.
And also what added value is provided by VA Linux.

The text of the email that I sent him appears below.

Joe Mantle

> Borzou,

> Linux works with a very large number of "IBM-compatible" components.
> A hardware configuration (i.e., a set of components) that is optimized
> for Windows may not necessarily be optimized for Linux.  For example,
> some very new hardware might not be supported under Linux.  Alternately,
> Linux may perform 5% to 10% better than Windows for some configurations
> (i.e. SCSI hard disk, slower CPU, etc).

> The main point is that no new hardware components need to be developed
> for Linux.  To the contrary, Linux has been developed to run on existing
> hardware.

> One can get more info on what hardware is prefered by linux by
> looking at the "PC-Clone Unix Hardware Buyer's Guide" by Eric
> S. Raymond (a well known Linux evangelist) at

> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/clone-hw-guide/

> I am happy to see that you are interested in correcting the mistake
> in the article.

> Joe Mantle

| Mechanical Engineering                     office:       217-333-5267 |
| University of Illinois                       home:       217-367-2918 |
| Urbana, Illinois, USA         http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~w-mantle/ |

false statement

Post by Rich » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I got a phone call from the author of the article in less than
>an hour after I sent them an email.  He seemed to be confused
>on exactly what "VA Linux" was providing.  The incorrect paragraph
>suggests that "VA Linux" is developing new expensive hardware
>components that are neccesary for Linux to run on.
>He wants to do a correction to the article.  I answered some
>questions and later sent him an email.

It seems to me that the paragraph refers to the fact that "win-peripherals"
don't run on Linux, and that more expensive controller-based peripherals are
required. It is interesting however, that the author seems to not know where
the statement originated or what the original context was. It is especially
weird to claim that these peripherals need to be developed, since the stuff
Linux runs on has been around a long time.

--
Rich C.
"Have you supported a new Linux user today?"

false statement

Post by Darren Winsp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:45:40 GMT, w joseph mantle

> It would be nice if somebody with more time and knowledge than me
> can send him an email explaining why different hardware components
> may be desireable for a PC running Linux than a PC running Windows.
> And also what added value is provided by VA Linux.

If he doesn't know even that much about Linux, then he has no place
writing articles about Linux.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

DVD boycotts.  Are you doing your part?
"Now they can put you in jail if they *THINK* you're gonna commit
 a crime.  Let me say that again, because it sounds vaguely important"
    --george carlin

false statement

Post by Stephen Vos » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> > It would be nice if somebody with more time and knowledge than me
> > can send him an email explaining why different hardware components
> > may be desireable for a PC running Linux than a PC running Windows.
> > And also what added value is provided by VA Linux.

> If he doesn't know even that much about Linux, then he has no place
> writing articles about Linux.

In libertarian circles we call this "macho flash" because it feels
good on a macho level but in reality its counterproductive.
You need to educate these people rather than blindly bash and flame them.
Most people are willing to at least admit mistakes about things they
were in clear error about.

false statement

Post by JEDIDI » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> > It would be nice if somebody with more time and knowledge than me
>> > can send him an email explaining why different hardware components
>> > may be desireable for a PC running Linux than a PC running Windows.
>> > And also what added value is provided by VA Linux.

>> If he doesn't know even that much about Linux, then he has no place
>> writing articles about Linux.

>In libertarian circles we call this "macho flash" because it feels
>good on a macho level but in reality its counterproductive.
>You need to educate these people rather than blindly bash and flame them.
>Most people are willing to at least admit mistakes about things they
>were in clear error about.

        It's quite possible that he's tired of educating the masses
        for free. It's a journalists JOB to research things. This
        guy would be essentially doing a professional's job for them.

        None of the libertarians I know would go for such a thing if
        stated purely in it's economic context.

false statement

Post by Darren Winsp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > It would be nice if somebody with more time and knowledge than me
> > > can send him an email explaining why different hardware components
> > > may be desireable for a PC running Linux than a PC running Windows.
> > > And also what added value is provided by VA Linux.

> > If he doesn't know even that much about Linux, then he has no place
> > writing articles about Linux.

> In libertarian circles we call this "macho flash" because it feels
> good on a macho level but in reality its counterproductive.

Oh really?

Quote:> You need to educate these people rather than blindly bash and flame them.
> Most people are willing to at least admit mistakes about things they
> were in clear error about.

So, I should do their job for them, without pay?  OK...

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

DVD boycotts.  Are you doing your part?
"Now they can put you in jail if they *THINK* you're gonna commit
 a crime.  Let me say that again, because it sounds vaguely important"
    --george carlin

false statement

> > > If he doesn't know even that much about Linux, then he has no place
> > > writing articles about Linux.

> > In libertarian circles we call this "macho flash" because it feels
> > good on a macho level but in reality its counterproductive.

> Oh really?

> > You need to educate these people rather than blindly bash and flame them.
> > Most people are willing to at least admit mistakes about things they
> > were in clear error about.

> So, I should do their job for them, without pay?  OK...

Sending a 1 page letter is not "doing their job for them"
Geez, even in your response to me you are flippant and rude.
Maybe if you tried a courteous letter instead of strutting
around with your ego it would work better.

Whether you think he is competent or not , he is writing the articles.
If he got the job at this paper and hes not a relative of the boss
he is probably intelligent enough to listen to constructive criticism.
Can we all take a little constructive criticism without it being
considered a flame or personal  attack?

false statement

>> > In libertarian circles we call this "macho flash" because it feels
>> > good on a macho level but in reality its counterproductive.

>> Oh really?

>> > You need to educate these people rather than blindly bash and flame them.
>> > Most people are willing to at least admit mistakes about things they
>> > were in clear error about.

>> So, I should do their job for them, without pay?  OK...

>Sending a 1 page letter is not "doing their job for them"

        If their job is research, it certainly is.

        Just what do you think the job of a journalist is?

        Since when did Libertarians start advocating corporate welfare?

Quote:>Geez, even in your response to me you are flippant and rude.
>Maybe if you tried a courteous letter instead of strutting
>around with your ego it would work better.

>Whether you think he is competent or not , he is writing the articles.

        Now this is starting to sound more Libertarian.

        Might is right, or Birthright is right...

Quote:>If he got the job at this paper and hes not a relative of the boss
>he is probably intelligent enough to listen to constructive criticism.
>Can we all take a little constructive criticism without it being
>considered a flame or personal  attack?

false statement

Post by Darren Winsp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > You need to educate these people rather than blindly bash and flame them.
> > > Most people are willing to at least admit mistakes about things they
> > > were in clear error about.

> > So, I should do their job for them, without pay?  OK...

> Sending a 1 page letter is not "doing their job for them"

Yes it is, especially in this case.  The guy writing the article new
*nothing* and went on essentially must have been hearsay.

Quote:> Geez, even in your response to me you are flippant and rude.

You've obviously come to the wrong place for politeness.

Quote:> Maybe if you tried a courteous letter instead of strutting
> around with your ego it would work better.

I do write polite letters to people who have mistakes in their article.
It's obvious whether a journalist has a clue or not, and this one
was devoid of them completely regarding Linux.

Quote:> Whether you think he is competent or not , he is writing the articles.

Perhaps I should write an article on the diagnosis and treatment of
Wilson's disease then since I probably know more about that than the
journalist knew about Linux.

Quote:> If he got the job at this paper and hes not a relative of the boss
> he is probably intelligent enough to listen to constructive criticism.

Then why was he not intelligent enough to find out even a little about
Linux?

Quote:> Can we all take a little constructive criticism without it being
> considered a flame or personal  attack?

Sure, but it sickens me when I see journalists writing articles on
things they obviously know nothing about.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

DVD boycotts.  Are you doing your part?
"Now they can put you in jail if they *THINK* you're gonna commit
 a crime.  Let me say that again, because it sounds vaguely important"
    --george carlin

1. Help with False ${FALSE}

 In the stupid /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52/Makefile there is
a section which goes:
=====================
.if defined(WITH_CDROM)
.if !exists(${CD_MOUNTPT}/linux/office52/setup)

.endif
.endif
======================
 Despite the fact that when I do a
"ls -l /cdrom/linux/office52/setup" I get
-r-xr-xr-x  1 rot wheel 66936 May 12  2000 /cdrom/linux/office52/setup

 The Makefile is still saying there is no setup file!
 Can anyone suggest why?

----------
A nations human decency can be measured by the
number of its citizens who phone or write their government
to improve the world.
http://www.fandom.net/~daeron/Cyclo/Brainia/8635.html
http://www.topica.com/lists/WestPapua/read
http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/briefs/vol5/v5n37papua.html

2. DOS/Win C cross compiler for Linux?

3. why does false || false = true ???

4. How to compress Apache's access_log

5. Help with if then statement and loop statement

6. Netscrape Plugins

7. Linux BUGS? True or False!

8. xdm

9. Help for make false!

10. cops false report

11. what will chdev -l sys0 -a iostat=false do?

12. blocking signals in signal handler -- True or False quiz

13. Builtin commands true/false extension