Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by Nigel Feltha » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:13:23

The BBC are using Linux in many mission-critical systems :-
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1176/1/

--
begin  sig
Not the moderator of Comp.Os.Linux.Advocacy

Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by David Dorwar » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:38:49

Nigel Feltham might have typed:

Quote:> The BBC are using Linux in many mission-critical systems :-
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1176/1/

That is *very* old news. The article was posted at 11:46:35 AM EST on
Friday, October 29, 1999.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
Keep it in the newsgroup unless you plan to completely change

Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by 4Spac » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:03:58

Its more wide spread than that now. I read an article somewhere (can't think
of the reference) that was listing some pretty big players using a
pre*ly GNU/Linux infrastructure. Among them were the US postal
service, the mexican government, and some local councils near me in England.

4Space

Post by Stev » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:44:12

> Nigel Feltham might have typed:

> > The BBC are using Linux in many mission-critical systems :-
> > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1176/1/

> That is *very* old news. The article was posted at 11:46:35 AM EST on
> Friday, October 29, 1999.

It would be news is ms windows was used in mission critical systems :)

Post by Nigel Feltha » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:22:00

> Nigel Feltham might have typed:

>> The BBC are using Linux in many mission-critical systems :-
>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> That is *very* old news. The article was posted at 11:46:35 AM EST on
> Friday, October 29, 1999.

Then this makes the wintrolls claim that a linux system from the same
vintage as win98 is useless - this article mentions they had one of their
main *s running on a 4 year old linux box which would make the system
a 1995 vintage machine running reliably enough to use to run a * on a
remote moor in scotland and administrate the machine from the BBC's main
offices. That's without the last 7 years of improvements.

--

Post by GreyClou » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:09:52

> > Nigel Feltham might have typed:

> > > The BBC are using Linux in many mission-critical systems :-
> > > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1176/1/

> > That is *very* old news. The article was posted at 11:46:35 AM EST on
> > Friday, October 29, 1999.

> It would be news is ms windows was used in mission critical systems :)

Sad to say that DOD has adopted NT in their mission critical
systems.  God help us!

Post by Paolo Ciambott » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 04:18:37

> It would be news if ms windows was used in mission critical systems :)

Sure, if MS Windows gets used in some mission critical systems, it will be
news indeed.  It'll probably get aired initially on the show "Real TV" or
on "What Were They Thinking?"  After they find out who selected MS for a
mission critical system, it'll get airtime on "Cops" and then a whole weeks
worth of episodes on "Court TV".

I'd like to see MS make it to the "History Channel" as soon as possible.

Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by Linonu » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:27:40

After takin' a swig o' grog, Paolo Ciambotti belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>> It would be news if ms windows was used in mission critical systems :)

> Sure, if MS Windows gets used in some mission critical systems, it will be
> news indeed.  It'll probably get aired initially on the show "Real TV" or
> on "What Were They Thinking?"  After they find out who selected MS for a
> mission critical system, it'll get airtime on "Cops" and then a whole weeks
> worth of episodes on "Court TV".

> I'd like to see MS make it to the "History Channel" as soon as possible.

If you* around long enough, or get really lucky, you can get a
stable Win config.

But don't every upgrade after that, or install a service pack, because
your system will likely be FUBAR'ed.

Microsoft, the company who put the "guess" in regression testing.

Chris

--

Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by Lee Sau Da » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:07:23

    Linonut> If you* around long enough, or get really lucky, you
    Linonut> can get a stable Win config.

You mean a box with the power plug separated from any wall sockets?

    Linonut> But don't every upgrade after that, or install a service
    Linonut> pack, because your system will likely be FUBAR'ed.

In the MS culture, "install" has  for long been a misnomer for "stall"
whereas "setup" actually means "upset [a usable and stable config]".

    Linonut> Microsoft, the company who put the "guess" in regression
    Linonut> testing.

Does it even know that "regression testing" is?

--

Home page: http://www.veryComputer.com/~danlee

Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by Lee Sau Da » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:04:21

    GreyCloud> Sad to say that DOD has adopted NT in their mission
    GreyCloud> critical systems.

Does that contribute to their failure to defend even their own Pentagon?

Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by 4Spac » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:43:34

Quote:>     Linonut> Microsoft, the company who put the "guess" in regression
>     Linonut> testing.

The answer is of course : yes. The more worrying answer is that they aren't
too bothered.

I was at a C++ / C# conference earlier this year, and one of the speakers
was a senior developer at Microsoft. I'll not name him, but if I say he acts
and looks like Woody Allen, people who've seen him will know who I mean.

Someone asked him a question about backwards compatibility. His response was
that you shouldn't consider backwards compatibility because it cripples your
ability to move forward.

I assumed he was joking. It certainly got a lot of laughs.

4Space

Linux In mission-critical systems

Post by Lee Sau Da » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:00:54

    4Space> I was at a C++ / C# conference earlier this year, and one
    4Space> of the speakers was a senior developer at Microsoft. I'll
    4Space> not name him, but if I say he acts and looks like Woody
    4Space> Allen, people who've seen him will know who I mean.

    4Space> Someone asked him a question about backwards
    4Space> compatibility. His response was that you shouldn't
    4Space> consider backwards compatibility because it cripples your
    4Space> ability to move forward.

Anyone who  has been  written Java programs  for years would  know how
ridiculous that is!

Java has a  deprecation mechanism and Sun has  been following it quite
well  so  that  backwards  compatibility  is  maintained  even  though
developers are moving forward,  using new APIs and avoiding deprecated
APIs when they start new projects.

    4Space> I assumed he was joking. It certainly got a lot of laughs.

I'd assume  he's serious,  since you  told me he's  from M$.   I don't
think M$'s development teams know anything about software engineering.

Post by GreyClou » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:04:37

>     GreyCloud> Sad to say that DOD has adopted NT in their mission
>     GreyCloud> critical systems.

> Does that contribute to their failure to defend even their own Pentagon?

Who knows?? I don't know what they have on their roof top.
But I know the Navy part has adopted NT for their mission
critical programs.

1. Linux is mission-critical for Crynwr

Crynwr Software uses Linux for:

  o Internet services:
    . FTP server
    . WWW server
    . SMTP (mail) server
  o Voice mail:
    . mgetty+sendfax for receiving voice mail messages.
    . Soundblaster for playing back voice mail messages.
  o FAXes:
    . mgetty+sendfax for sending and receiving FAXes.
  o Print spool server.

Linux is mission-critical for us.

--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?

2. forcing net use over two NICs, same machine

3. Windos Turns Out to be the Wrong Choice in Mission-Critical Application

4. Linux as an entertainment center

5. protect mission-critical appl

6. multicast is on . .why?

7. Monitoring mission critical systems

8. Swap over NFS patch for RH Linux 2.4.20

9. Mission critical apps running on Linux?

10. Enquiry regarding Linux in Mission Critical situation

11. Linux and Perl for "mission critical" work

12. mission critical operations in linux

13. Linux in mission critical situations