cdrw hangs system

Post by Thomas Stuef » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:07:10

greetings,

I know this is a technical questions, but I tried a number of tech groups
and noone seemed to know. So maybe one of you knows this:

When I try to mount my cdrw, the kernel hangs. I have to power down in order
to get control back. This happened with iso9660 and joliet CDs, didn't try
other ones.

This is a customized kernel (2.4.20).
(yes, before anyone starts with "Linux is shit", keep in mind that the
shipped kernel works just fine, only my own tinkered-with kernel doesnt)

Basically, I have a dvd rom device (ide master) and a cd burner (ide slave,
same bus). They get recognized just fine as hdc, hdd. Now, I have to use
scsi emulation to burn cds. So the kernel contains ide support + basic scsi
support (details see below), statically linked.

grub entry looks like this:

title linux_mynewkernel
    kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-thomas root=/dev/hda3 hdd=ide-scsi
vga=791
    initrd (hd0,2)/boot/initrd

kernel config:

The Scsi options (everything not mentioned is not set):

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES=y
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y

generic IDE options (everything not mentioned is not set):
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y

File system options (everything not mentioned is not set):
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_JBD=y
CONFIG_JBD_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_ZISOFS=y
CONFIG_JFS_FS=y
CONFIG_JFS_STATISTICS=y
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_UDF_FS=y

Now I boot up the kernel:

The drives are recognized:

<4>hda: MAXTOR 4K080H4, ATA DISK drive
<4>hdc: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 012, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
<4>hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

And for the cd burner, scsi emulation is enabled:

<6>SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
<6>scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
<4>  Vendor: SAMSUNG   Model: CD-R/RW SW-408B   Rev: BS02
<4>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<4>Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
<4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

So everything looks fine, right?

Now, when I mount something with the dvd reader, everything works.
When I mount a cd in the burner, the system hangs.

What puzzles me is that the shipped kernel works, and it does almost the
same. Of course there are a number of differences (different kernel build,
almost everything is a module, whereas I link everything statically... but
they also use ide with scsi emulation, and the same boot parameters...)

Thanks for any suggestions..

bye thomas

cdrw hangs system

Post by Pid » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:45:00

Quote:> greetings,

> [...]

> And for the cd burner, scsi emulation is enabled:

> <6>SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> <6>scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
> <4>  Vendor: SAMSUNG   Model: CD-R/RW SW-408B   Rev: BS02
> <4>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> <4>Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> <4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

> So everything looks fine, right?

> Now, when I mount something with the dvd reader, everything works.
> When I mount a cd in the burner, the system hangs.

> What puzzles me is that the shipped kernel works, and it does almost the
> same. Of course there are a number of differences (different kernel build,
> almost everything is a module, whereas I link everything statically... but
> they also use ide with scsi emulation, and the same boot parameters...)

why do you insist on tormenting yourself?

cdrw hangs system

Post by Thomas Stuef » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:03:20

> [...]

>> <4>  Vendor: SAMSUNG   Model: CD-R/RW SW-408B   Rev: BS02
>> <4>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> <4>Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>> <4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

>> So everything looks fine, right?

>> Now, when I mount something with the dvd reader, everything works.
>> When I mount a cd in the burner, the system hangs.

>> What puzzles me is that the shipped kernel works, and it does almost the
>> same. Of course there are a number of differences (different kernel
>> build, almost everything is a module, whereas I link everything
>> statically... but they also use ide with scsi emulation, and the same
>> boot parameters...)

>> Thanks for any suggestions..

>> bye thomas

> why do you insist on tormenting yourself?

- I'm curious. I like to know how things work.
- I like a fast, slim OS, tailored for my machine.
- Because I can.

cdrw hangs system

Post by Gary Halloc » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:26:51

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:03:20 +0100, Thomas Stuefe

>>- I'm curious. I like to know how things work.
>>- I like a fast, slim OS, tailored for my machine.
>>- Because I can.

> Obviously you can't or you wouldn't be asking here for a solution.

Just once you should actually read what you are responding to.  Gee flatty,
the door was left wide open for you and you decided to jump out the
Window instead.

Gary

cdrw hangs system

Post by rapska » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:02:37

begin  Error Log for Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:07:10 +0100, segfault in module
Thomas Stuefe: dump details are as follows...

Quote:> What puzzles me is that the shipped kernel works, and it does almost the
> same. Of course there are a number of differences (different kernel
> build, almost everything is a module, whereas I link everything
> statically... but they also use ide with scsi emulation, and the same
> boot parameters...)

> Thanks for any suggestions..

I just tried it and the same thing happened to me.  Then I tried it again
but I didn't specify the type and it went through ok.  I don't know what
help that would be to you, but it wouldn't hurt to try...

Recap...the following caused a lockup:

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

But this worked fine:

# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Why this is I do not know, but I will be checking into it.  I'm using a
development kernel as well, so that may have something to do with it.  I
remember seeing an option in the kernel called "When I mount CDROM I get
oops!", but I didn't enable it cause it was just a workaround.  Does your
kernel have that option?

Also, do you have automount?

--
rapskat -  16:57:43  up  1:54,  2 users,  load average: 2.61, 2.05, 1.12
Running LGX - Linux + GNU + XFree86: Gentoo flavored

end
NOTE: If the preceding text is not being displayed,
it is because you are using a Newsreader that is not
compliant with Usenet Standards. Please upgrade to a
Standards Compliant client or contact your System Administrator.

cdrw hangs system

Post by Gary Halloc » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:36:35

> I decided to go easy on him.

Backpeddle.

Gary

cdrw hangs system

Post by Thomas Stuef » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 09:12:10

>>> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:03:20 +0100, Thomas Stuefe

>>> Obviously you can't or you wouldn't be asking here for a solution.

>>Just once you should actually read what you are responding to.  Gee
>>flatty, the door was left wide open for you and you decided to jump out
>>the Window instead.

>>Gary

> I decided to go easy on him.

Now I'm really scared...

cdrw hangs system

Post by Thomas Stuef » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:59:44

> begin  Error Log for Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:07:10 +0100, segfault in module
> Thomas Stuefe: dump details are as follows...

>> What puzzles me is that the shipped kernel works, and it does almost the
>> same. Of course there are a number of differences (different kernel
>> build, almost everything is a module, whereas I link everything
>> statically... but they also use ide with scsi emulation, and the same
>> boot parameters...)

>> Thanks for any suggestions..

> I just tried it and the same thing happened to me.  Then I tried it again
> but I didn't specify the type and it went through ok.  I don't know what
> help that would be to you, but it wouldn't hurt to try...

> Recap...the following caused a lockup:

> # mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

> But this worked fine:

> # mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

hm, was it not a standard iso9660 cd? Maybe joliet?
I clicked on the KDE CD icon to mount, and I dont' know for sure but I think
it results in a mount w/o fs specification.

Quote:> Why this is I do not know, but I will be checking into it.  I'm using a
> development kernel as well, so that may have something to do with it.  I
> remember seeing an option in the kernel called "When I mount CDROM I get
> oops!", but I didn't enable it cause it was just a workaround.  Does your
> kernel have that option?

I don't remember any such option, what would be the define name (in
.config)?

Quote:

> Also, do you have automount?

Nope. Thanks for helping, though.

cdrw hangs system

Post by Gary Halloc » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:09:29

> Geeez, 3 days to make a CD work.

> Is it any wonder why Linux is going nowhere on desktop systems?

Yet another idiotic post by flatty.  Three things you seem to have
conveniently ignored:

  1.  He never sad this was a desktop system:

  2.  It worked fine out of the box.

  3.  He was doing something that is simply impossible with Windows -
      customizing the kernel.

Gary

cdrw hangs system

Post by Marcin Wolcendor » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:45:40

> greetings,

> I know this is a technical questions, but I tried a number of tech groups
> and noone seemed to know. So maybe one of you knows this:

> When I try to mount my cdrw, the kernel hangs. I have to power down in order
> to get control back. This happened with iso9660 and joliet CDs, didn't try
> other ones.

> This is a customized kernel (2.4.20).
> (yes, before anyone starts with "Linux is shit", keep in mind that the
> shipped kernel works just fine, only my own tinkered-with kernel doesnt)

> Basically, I have a dvd rom device (ide master) and a cd burner (ide slave,
> same bus). They get recognized just fine as hdc, hdd. Now, I have to use
> scsi emulation to burn cds. So the kernel contains ide support + basic scsi
> support (details see below), statically linked.
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y

Shouldn't it be 'm' instead of 'y'? I have 'm' and everything works
fine. Remember not to use gcc2.96, as it produces bad code. Use 2.95 or
3.2. AFAIR- there was something about it in cd-writing howto- that you
shouldn't have IDE-SCSI and IDE-CD linked statically to the kernel- it
'schizoes' kernel.

M.

cdrw hangs system

Post by Thomas Stuef » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:40:51

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:59:44 +0100, Thomas Stuefe

>>> begin  Error Log for Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:07:10 +0100, segfault in module
>>> Thomas Stuefe: dump details are as follows...

>>> I just tried it and the same thing happened to me.  Then I tried it
>>> again
>>> but I didn't specify the type and it went through ok.  I don't know what
>>> help that would be to you, but it wouldn't hurt to try...

>>> Recap...the following caused a lockup:

>>> # mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

>>> But this worked fine:

>>> # mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

>>hm, was it not a standard iso9660 cd? Maybe joliet?
>>I clicked on the KDE CD icon to mount, and I dont' know for sure but I
>>think it results in a mount w/o fs specification.

>>> Why this is I do not know, but I will be checking into it.  I'm using a
>>> development kernel as well, so that may have something to do with it.  I
>>> remember seeing an option in the kernel called "When I mount CDROM I get
>>> oops!", but I didn't enable it cause it was just a workaround.  Does
>>> your kernel have that option?

>>I don't remember any such option, what would be the define name (in
>>.config)?

>>> Also, do you have automount?

>>Nope. Thanks for helping, though.

> Geeez, 3 days to make a CD work.

> Is it any wonder why Linux is going nowhere on desktop systems?

Quote from my original post:

"(yes, before anyone starts with "Linux is shit", keep in mind that the
shipped kernel works just fine, only my own tinkered-with kernel doesnt)"

Are you illiterate?

Just for the records: the original linux shipped by Suse runs just fine. But
I do what I could never do on a windows system, I customize my kernel. Lots
of people (including me) spend lots of time streamlining and customizing
their Windows XP system. You find tons of websites out their telling you
how to speed up the boot process, how to make XP safer (!) etc. This
differs from rebuilding a linux kernel only in the degree. Linux gives you
far more choices to customize your system.

cdrw hangs system

Post by Thomas Stuef » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:42:22

> Shouldn't it be 'm' instead of 'y'? I have 'm' and everything works
> fine. Remember not to use gcc2.96, as it produces bad code. Use 2.95 or
> 3.2. AFAIR- there was something about it in cd-writing howto- that you
> shouldn't have IDE-SCSI and IDE-CD linked statically to the kernel- it
> 'schizoes' kernel.

thanks, a good hint, I will try this!

cdrw hangs system

Post by Mark » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:33:07

> > On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:59:44 +0100, Thomas Stuefe

> >>hm, was it not a standard iso9660 cd? Maybe joliet?
> >>I clicked on the KDE CD icon to mount, and I dont' know for sure but I
> >>think it results in a mount w/o fs specification.

> >>I don't remember any such option, what would be the define name (in
> >>.config)?

> >>Nope. Thanks for helping, though.

> > Geeez, 3 days to make a CD work.

> > Is it any wonder why Linux is going nowhere on desktop systems?

> Quote from my original post:

> "(yes, before anyone starts with "Linux is shit", keep in mind that the
> shipped kernel works just fine, only my own tinkered-with kernel doesnt)"

> Are you illiterate?

> Just for the records: the original linux shipped by Suse runs just fine. But
> I do what I could never do on a windows system, I customize my kernel. Lots
> of people (including me) spend lots of time streamlining and customizing
> their Windows XP system. You find tons of websites out their telling you
> how to speed up the boot process, how to make XP safer (!) etc. This
> differs from rebuilding a linux kernel only in the degree. Linux gives you
> far more choices to customize your system.

The good thing about linux is most of the tools are incorporated in your
favorite distro.

--
Mark p

Support MS in the battle against software piracy-use alternative software!
(PS I'm not a wintroll or a linonut. Just trying to get  the most out o my
humble beast)

cdrw hangs system

Post by Ilari Liusvaar » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:50:00

Datagram from Marcin Wolcendorf incoming on netlink socket

Quote:

> Remember not to use gcc2.96, as it produces bad code.

Correction: don't use early versions of gcc2.96 as they really produce
bad code. The later versions where quite good.

-Ilari
--
Quite frankly, I'd rather have no frogs at all in my blenders, thank
you very much. -- Linus Torvalds

1. CDRW hangs

I've been having trouble getting my CDRW to work, and there doesn't
seem to be a troubleshooting page anywhere.

Unfortunately, My computer has no net-access at the moment, so I'm
going to have to rely on handwritten notes, so I can't print out the
whole output, or configurations or anything... sorry.

I'm running Redhat 7.1, and I have an IDE Ricoh 4x4x24 CDRW. (I think
that's the 7040A)

I'm pretty sure that the fake-scsi interface is working because
cdrecord -scanbus finds the cdrom at 0,0,0.

I made the image as specified in the HOW-TO, and mounted it to
check. No problems.

I then tried to burn the CD.

(I didn't know it would be a problem, so I didn't write down the
output of the  first attempt)
It said something to the effect of:

Waiting for input buffer ... input buffer ready
Performing OPC ...
faio_wait_on_buffer for writer timed out
track 0 writing 0M of 225

Eventually, the Hard drive thrashed for a while (might have been doing
something else though) and it stopped. It appeared to exit
normally. When I tried to mount the cd, mount said that the cd was
unformatted.

So, I tried again, same CD, added -blank all. This time After
performing the faio_wait_on_buffer line, it just hung. 8 hours later,
(when I woke up) it was still hung, so I killed it, and tried a second
disk, which also hung.

On dejanews, I've seen lots of mentions of faio_wait_on_buffer errors,
but I haven't seen a single consistent answer for how to deal with
them. Is there somewhere I should be looking that I'm not?

Thanks a lot

Brian Postow
--
More incoherent ramblings from:  Brian "Lizard Bench Mango" Postow ('94)
FOOBAR: Foo Of Oberlin Bygone Alumni Retirees   the foo, the proud: the Foo.

2. Sound Player through Sound Card?

3. System hangs with unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.

4. Flash plugin for Phoenix

5. trouble in cdrom when read file in cdrw disk burned from xp's cdrw

6. cronjob: disable email notice

7. How To CDRW ? Not CDR, but CDRW,...

8. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

9. ISC V3.01 system(network) hang with no activities on the system

10. PROBLEM: system hangs on dual 1GHz PIII system with 2.4.13-ac8

11. Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542

12. dd crashes system when reading philips scsi cdrw 3600

13. Add IDE CDRW to system with SCSI-host adapter AHA-1542