1. My Linux Wish List (Re: The last Barrier to Desktop Linux?
I mentioned what I thought were barriers in my other post in this
I've been using linux for about a year as my desktop at home ( Suse
These things aren't barriers toward linux being used as a desktop,
IMHO, they are just things I want/miss that have been slow in coming.
For fun, I just thought I would list them ( yes, I have sent feature
requests to the relevant organizations ).
Anyway, I will never go back to windoze, I just thought it might
interesting to list what a windoze refugee still wants/misses with
1. Faster performance on both kde and gnome.
2. Gnome : fix the bug in nautlius so it saves icon view preferences.
a year. A less confusing multiple desktop. Use the MultiGnome
alter it so it has fonts that don't look like chicken scratch and
simplier so it works like konsole. You have to go through more
do the same dam thing.
3. Brain-dead easy install programs for kde and gnome. I would be
to try the improved versions if it didn't mean a potental hassle.
4. A command in gnome that reports what version of gnome is being
5. A tabbed terminal emulator not written in the GTK or KDE libraries
6. TV and radio software for haupauge cards that don't require
having to do with gnome or kde.
7. Brain-dead easy to install cd burning software
8. Brain-dead easy to install dvd software
9. Brain-dead easy to install/use fax/answering machine/caller id/call
10. Brain-dead easy to use wizards for connecting to printers
11. Being able to create and delete directories in mozilla's File
12. Futz free good looking fonts in all word processing apps and html
apps.....out-of-the-box ( it *is* getting better ).
13. MS file interoperability at the level of quality in OpenOffice ( &
without Open Office ( its slooowwwww ). It would be great to see
put some of this code into modular file conversion utilities that
project could use or that people could use from the command line.
14. Install programs that would distinguish if someone is going to be
linux as a server or as their personal desktop. In the later case
set things up to make mounting partitions, cdroms, setting time
without the need to use su or sudo( maybe this has already
15. A better package management system. Dependency hell. We've all
2. Dial up problem in LAN
3. 10 things with Linux I wish I knew before i jumped
4. Andrew HElp
5. Have NT Wish to add Linux
6. Alpha: Personal Workstation 433au
7. Came from DOS wish to continue with Linux...
8. carroll touch driver
9. What I wish to see under Linux..
10. more stuff I wish linux did
11. My Linux wish list for 2000
12. What is your linux wish list?
13. Wow, an actual survey (Linux dissatisfactions and wish-lists)