PC Magazine's linux article

Post by ekoo.. » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I just saw a short article on linux in the most recent PC Magazine.
It discussed the history of linux and then how to install it. It was
pretty good; the usual confusion over the meaning of free software was
there, but all in all a fair-minded introduction.
        This is in the print version; I couldn't find it on their
web page.

PC Magazine's linux article

Post by Douglas Winslo » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I just saw a short article on linux in the most recent PC Magazine.
> It discussed the history of linux and then how to install it. It was
> pretty good; the usual confusion over the meaning of free software was
> there, but all in all a fair-minded introduction.
>         This is in the print version; I couldn't find it on their
> web page.

Third posting attempt.. I hope this one makes it thru. :-)
I typed out the PC Mag article for anyone who doesn't happen to have a
copy of the magazine and would like to read it.. It seems like a pretty
fair article..

http://www.min.net/~douglas/pcmag.html

--

##:::###:::###:::###:::## http://www.min.net/~douglas
#:::###:::###:::###:::### Metronet Internet Services

PC Magazine's linux article

Post by Chris Hudgi » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Third posting attempt.. I hope this one makes it thru. :-)
> I typed out the PC Mag article for anyone who doesn't happen to have a
> copy of the magazine and would like to read it.. It seems like a pretty
> fair article..

> http://www.min.net/~douglas/pcmag.html

Thanks for posting the article.  It's unfortunate that the author of
that article did not assume that the Linux newbie would be installing
e.g. the Red Hat distribution which comes with a nice installation
program.  In my experience, installing Red Hat is a bit easier than the
author of the article would have the reader believe; some of the steps
in the installation which the author says must be done manually are done
almost automatically by the Red Hat installation program.

It's also unfortunate that the author goes to such great lengths to warn
the potential new Linux user of all the things that might potentially go
wrong during an install.  That approach will surely scare away some
people.  Then again, the people who will most likely be scared away are
probably the ones least able to handle a real operating system anyway.

Speaking of OS installation issues, I personally have found far fewer
problems occurring since formatting my OS/2 partition and using it as
/home in Linux.  :-)

--

Chris Hudgin, Meteorology Graduate Student
University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, USA

Web:     http://moray.cmrp.ou.edu/~chudgin

1. PC-Magazine Linux Article!!!!

Well, well, well... We are getting there! :)

http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/issues/1614/pcmg0059.htm

Oleg Dulin, http://www.clarkson.edu/~dulino/
        _             _    _
       //  _  ___  _   \  //  "Linux is user friendly. It ist just a bit
      //  // // / // /  \//   more choosy of who its friends are..."
     //  // // / //_/   /\
    /================ _// \_
The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's
absolutely not. It's the stupidest reason to buy a new version I ever
heard.  -- Bill Gates, CEO, Microsoft Corporation

2. Strange mouse buttons

3. pc mag's article on linux...

4. 9 track or 3480 tape drives

5. Windows NT magazine articles on Linux

6. Copying <downloading> a file .. UUCP ?

7. developerWorks articles on Wearable Linux PC, Palm Pilot Linux and more

8. 2th Request problem with LP

9. April SunExpert Magazine article example? (help)

10. Call for Articles - Crossroads Magazine

11. Two cool articles from CIO magazine!

12. New York Times magazine article

13. Call for Articles - Crossroads Magazine