Why the Trolls are Here

Post by Sinister Midge » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:42:21

I think I know why the wintendo users are here. Having laid around in a
couple of windoze-expee groups, it's pretty clear many of the people
there that _love_ windoze are having a hard time making their case. There
are a half dozen people trying to hold up against an onslaught of angry,
impatient and/or worn-out users who complain incessantly about how bad
the stupid ME of NT is working. Over and over again, they have to give
the same 2 or 3 answers that only work about 5% of the time. Over and
over again, they have to give the same 6 or 7 URLs that explain the MS
line about how it's all somebody else's fault, or why their Fischer Price
desktop is so buggy.

Users go to the group looking for help: cd writing software doesn't work;
system reboots spontaneously (a handy replacement for the BSOD); try to
make the desktop less cartoonish, reboot, Hanna-Barbera is back again;
try clicking a link in IE and it either disappears, locks up, crashes the
system, or a whole assortment of other problems; ditto for Outhost
Distress; suddenly being told that their legally registered install is
going to expire in XX days; installing for only the second time and being
told they've installed too many times and have to call and ask
permission; getting error messages at boot that make no sense; getting
error messages while running things that make no sense; getting error
messages at shutdown that make no sense; convert a drive to NTFS (making
it impossible to recover anything except via Ex-Pee) and finding out
Ex-Pee doesn't recognize it; lousy DVD playback performance; disappearing
taskbars, disappearing tasks on taskbars; on and on and on.

The windolts have invested a lot of time and money (especially money) in
trying to make things run smoothly. They've made excuses, found
workarounds, bought other stuff to fix what was wrong, hunted all over
the world for help, asked in newsgroups, and more. They've done
everything they can to convince themselves that this is all normal. But,
no matter how hard they try, they keep coming back to the realization
that their MS-Crapware 3.0SP5 is just that: crapware.

Well, misery loves company, so they say. They see people in any of the
linux newsgroups actually having far fewer problems, enjoying real
stability, using apps as they are intended (versus having to work around
with kludges and third-party, commercial software) and basically actually
liking things in general. The winbots are still in denial, and they
haven't faced up to reality. So they don't really believe that linux can
be stable, despite an overwhelming amount of solid proof. (*ics,
drug *s, compulsive gamblers and others deal with life the same
way.) Their experience with wintendo proves to them that things
can't really be like that. Plus, they've spent a large fortune on their
crapware, and buying things to fix it, to let it die off that easily.

They can't handle the unending bad news in the Ex-Pee newsgroups. They
also can't handle the proof that theirs was an inferior choice, which is
evident in the linux newsgroups. So they come in and attack, trying to
prove your stuff is just as bad as theirs, and they made a choice that
isn't any different than the one you made, excepting they paid for their
mistake. They choose advocacy because that might be a target for the
curious user, the one that might be contemplating linux but sill has some
uncertainty. If they can chase some people away from linux, basically by
making them think that the problems they have now won't be any different
if they change, the winbots will feel justified in their existence and in
their choices.

This little dissertation doesn't include the likes of the *er in
chief, because he has his own motivation (attention), but the solution is
the same. It also doesn't include the paid trolls (flatfish, wjbell, the
name-of-the-hour guy from Spain that was a royal pain a few days ago,
etc). But in all cases, the real solution is the same.

Just say no: don't reply. Don't offer them the little bit of
justification they're seeking. They'll go away. They'll change identities
and try sneaking in, they'll cross-post all over usenet, they'll try
pretending to advocate linux, to have "seen the light." But, their goals
will remain to disrupt. Eventually, maybe days, weeks or months, but
eventually, they'll all disappear except for the random attempt to
infiltrate with a new identity.

I wouldn't even go so far as to let them know they've been killed: just
do it!

I respond to one from time to time. I make a concerted effort not to do
so, and slip every now and then. But I get right up and try again. Mostly
I'm successful. But I also know the temptation to talk to them can be
really huge. It's still best to just ignore them and quietly add them to
the killfilters and move on.

There's my solution. Choose to use or ignore. But if you aren't doing
something active to eliminate them, it would seem futile to keep
complaining about their continued residence here.

--
XP: The ME of NT.

Why the Trolls are Here

Post by TuxTra » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:59:11

> [...]

> they'll try pretending to advocate linux, to have "seen the light." But,
> their goals will remain to disrupt. Eventually, maybe days, weeks or
> months, but eventually, they'll all disappear except for the random
> attempt to infiltrate with a new identity.

> I wouldn't even go so far as to let them know they've been killed: just
> do it!

> I respond to one from time to time. I make a concerted effort not to do
> so, and slip every now and then. But I get right up and try again.
> Mostly I'm successful. But I also know the temptation to talk to them
> can be really huge. It's still best to just ignore them and quietly add
> them to the killfilters and move on.

> There's my solution. Choose to use or ignore. But if you aren't doing
> something active to eliminate them, it would seem futile to keep
> complaining about their continued residence here.

Midget man, you are wise beyond your years :-)

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored *
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Fin readings upon request.

Amateur Radio Operator KD6MSI
www.tuxtrax.com

Why the Trolls are Here

Post by rapska » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:06:35

Error Log for Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:42:21 -0500: segfault in module
"Sinister Midget" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> I think I know why the wintendo users are here. Having laid around in a
> [...]

> they'll try pretending to advocate linux, to have "seen the light." But,
> their goals will remain to disrupt. Eventually, maybe days, weeks or
> months, but eventually, they'll all disappear except for the random
> attempt to infiltrate with a new identity.

> I wouldn't even go so far as to let them know they've been killed: just
> do it!

> I respond to one from time to time. I make a concerted effort not to do
> so, and slip every now and then. But I get right up and try again.
> Mostly I'm successful. But I also know the temptation to talk to them
> can be really huge. It's still best to just ignore them and quietly add
> them to the killfilters and move on.

> There's my solution. Choose to use or ignore. But if you aren't doing
> something active to eliminate them, it would seem futile to keep
> complaining about their continued residence here.

Yes, indeed.  I like your explanation much better than mine :-)

It's very obvious who are the people to observe to get honest and rational
thoughts from.  I am honored to be able to share bandwidth with yourself
and the other posters of this group of your caliber.

Thank you!

--
rapskat  -  2:00pm  up 11 days,  4:11,  4 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.07

Let him who sins when drunk be punished when sober. -- Anonymous

Why the Trolls are Here

Post by Mark Ke » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:07:47

<snip excellent exposition of NT5.1/XP problems and user behaviour>

Quote:>I respond to one from time to time. I make a concerted effort not to do
>so, and slip every now and then. But I get right up and try again. Mostly
>I'm successful. But I also know the temptation to talk to them can be
>really huge. It's still best to just ignore them and quietly add them to
>the killfilters and move on.

>There's my solution. Choose to use or ignore. But if you aren't doing
>something active to eliminate them, it would seem futile to keep
>complaining about their continued residence here.

I've personally decided to try a concerted killfiling effort for a
minimum period of 9 months.  I decided to point out that I was doing
the killfiling so that passers-by can see that the person in question
has some questions around their credibility.

I also think that it's worth reminding our readership of our charter,
as well.  The on-topic posters do not have any problem with that, the
trolls, spammers etc., do not like it one bit.

--
            |  Mark Kent   --   Take out the ham to mail me.  |
Bill*ey is learning me his experience.