Outlook Express....

Post by laserne » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:56:46

Lot of people are knocking on OE mail client, but it provides a nice
interface with lot of tools. I have to admit, that I like Outlook Express
and use it on Solaris 8.0 also. Doubtfull that any viruses will have any
effect on SunOS 5.8. The IE 5.0 looks pretty much the same on Solaris, even
the fonts look just fine.
Since there's a Unix version of IE and OE. is there a way to set them up on
a Linux platform? Probably not, but worth asking.
TIA....

Outlook Express....

Post by Mark Ke » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 05:41:45

Quote:>Lot of people are knocking on OE mail client, but it provides a nice

way of getting viruses onto your windows system.

--
Mark Kent
                                               Take out the ham to mail me.

Outlook Express....

Post by Richard Stein » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:17:59

Here in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

Quote:>Lot of people are knocking on OE mail client, but it provides a nice
>interface with lot of tools.

The reason I dislike OE is because some people believe OE is also an
appropriate client for USENET.  :-)

Quote:>Since there's a Unix version of IE and OE. is there a way to set them
>up on a Linux platform? Probably not, but worth asking.

To my knowledge, the only "Unix" version of IE that existed was for the
Sparc version of Solaris.  It won't run on Intel hardware.

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
   OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS + PC/GEOS

Outlook Express....

Post by Darre » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:37:45

> Lot of people are knocking on OE mail client, but it provides a nice
> interface with lot of tools. I have to admit, that I like Outlook
> Express and use it on Solaris 8.0 also. Doubtfull that any viruses will
> have any effect on SunOS 5.8. The IE 5.0 looks pretty much the same on
> Solaris, even the fonts look just fine.
> Since there's a Unix version of IE and OE. is there a way to set them up
> on a Linux platform? Probably not, but worth asking. TIA....

Try the GNOME Evolution if you want a Linux mail client that looks like
OE.

It doesn't do usenet though.. thank God for small favors.

Outlook Express....

Post by laserne » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:45:10

>Here in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>Lot of people are knocking on OE mail client, but it provides a nice
>>interface with lot of tools.

>The reason I dislike OE is because some people believe OE is also an
>appropriate client for USENET.  :-)

It can be, if configured properly. I use it for newsgroups....

Quote:

>>Since there's a Unix version of IE and OE. is there a way to set them
>>up on a Linux platform? Probably not, but worth asking.

>To my knowledge, the only "Unix" version of IE that existed was for the
>Sparc version of Solaris.  It won't run on Intel hardware.

Yeah, that's what I'm running it on and it can still be downloaded from MS.

Outlook Express....

Post by GreyClou » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:24:54

> Lot of people are knocking on OE mail client, but it provides a nice
> interface with lot of tools. I have to admit, that I like Outlook Express
> and use it on Solaris 8.0 also. Doubtfull that any viruses will have any
> effect on SunOS 5.8. The IE 5.0 looks pretty much the same on Solaris,
> even the fonts look just fine.
> Since there's a Unix version of IE and OE. is there a way to set them up
> on a Linux platform? Probably not, but worth asking.
> TIA....

But doesn't it run slower on solaris 8 than netscape??
I've heard IE runs pretty slow on the solaris ngs.

Outlook Express....

Post by Richard Stein » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:53:40

Here in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>The reason I dislike OE is because some people believe OE is also an
>>appropriate client for USENET.  :-)

>It can be, if configured properly. I use it for newsgroups....

You seem to be using it in a way which acknowledges existing newsgroup
conventions.  Many people do not.

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
   OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS + PC/GEOS
            + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)
               Oat bran will help reduce cereal input errors.

1. So IE5/Outlook/Outlook Express will all execute attachments

Hi all,

I think this tops the buffer overflow in Outlook/Outlook Express where
arbitrary code can be run on an unpatched Windows machine just by sending
someone a plain text email.

This vulnerabilty is a right screwup. It allows someone to execute an
attachment on your Windows computer:

(a) just by visiting a site; or
(b) just by sending you an HTML email (that is automatically rendered
using IE5).

Unknown to me MS HTML emails are just in fact packaged web sites:

"Because HTML e-mails are simply web pages, IE can render them and open
binary attachments in a way that is appropriate to their MIME types."

Check it out:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-020.asp

This is a good example of how not to design a secure operating system. And
that's why statements such as "no operating system is secure" are
misleading. While none are prefectly secure there are degrees of security.
This demonstrates that Microsoft allowed people to email web sites to one
another and then thought about the security implications later.

Attachments execute as the email (i.e. web page/site) is "rendered".
Wonders never cease.

Regards,
Adam

2. PS/2 mouse help

3. What's the linux equivalent of Outlook Express and Pegasus Mail?

4. compiling php

5. Erik Funkenbusch can't use Outlook Express

6. SSL, Sun Webserver, 2.6 problems

7. Microsoft warned Outlook Express users...

8. Porting Vikas' xtacacsd to PAM? :-(

9. Imapd with Outlook Express exit status 1 from inetd

10. Folder problems with Cyrus IMAP and Outlook Express

11. Modifying M$ Outlook Express mail folders from linux

12. The whole outlook express begin thing

13. Import addresses from outlook express into kab