Very Nice Zdnet Article

Post by Stev » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A very positive Linux vs NT comparison at the url below.

http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/issue/0,4537,387506,00.html

Enjoy,
           Steve

Very Nice Zdnet Article

Post by Michael Benedic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have to admit that I was a little surprised about the limited hardware
support issue.  So far as I know, linux has more drivers for more
hardware (evening excluding original Amigas et all) than NT does.  Oh,
well, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I guess.
    Michael Benedict

Very Nice Zdnet Article

Post by Volker Dittma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Steve schrieb:

Quote:

> A very positive Linux vs NT comparison at the url below.

> http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/issue/0,4537,387506,00.html

> Enjoy,
>            Steve

Yeah, just posted this link to comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy for
a little fun.

Hope one day they will redo the benchmark with kernel 2.2.x and
Samba 2.0, which will both be helpfull to the performance.

This benchmark has been done "out of the box" with no tweaking,
so I guess in reality the difference (50% for web servers, 250%
for file servers with 32 clients) will be more clearly, because
most of us that are using Linux WILL do some optimizing.

But clearly, ZDnet's article is VERY positive, which is quite
astounding if you compare that to older articles.

Now all we should do is spread this information to everyone
who wants to hear it (and to those who don't).

Ciao,
Volker Dittmar

1. Nice article on ZDnet

Compared to the MS FUD (tm) articles that were their usual fare only a
couple of months ago, this one almost makes it look like ZD has run up
the red flag of revolution:

    "With Wintel Pass, Linux Support May Be It"
    http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/filters/cbabcock.html

I'm not sure when Linus had his "long hours of toil in the Norwegian
night", but otherwise the article is pretty accurate and upbeat on
Linux.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

p.s. -- Thank you, Linux Weekly News, for mentioning this link.

2. Upload FTP assign group?

3. Nice. Nice nice nice.

4. FTape & Kernel 1.3.74

5. One more ZDNet article with BillG hammering Linux and Open So urce.

6. Velocity 128 (NVidia Riva128) support?

7. One more ZDNet article with BillG hammering Linux and Open Source.

8. bash: Can a "function" be run without a subshell?

9. ZDNet article: Solaris 10 Heads For Launch Pad

10. ZDNET article on graphics workstations (Wintel & Unix)

11. "Nvidia takes a crack at PCs" -- Interesting article from ZDNet

12. Nice article in BYT

13. Nice Linux Article