Looking For Ideas On New Linux Ftp Site Orgarniztion

Looking For Ideas On New Linux Ftp Site Orgarniztion

Post by mdea » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi there! I will be starting a linux ftp site maintained on ftp.cdrom.com
and am looking for suggestions on how people out there in netland (linux
users too) would like to see it organized. I would be especially gracious
of any suggestions on how to improve on shortcomings seen on other
archives.

To date I have already decided to (pending responses):

  A. Implement instant incoming directory --> category placement daemon so
     that known uploaders of new software versions will not have to wait
     for a maintainer to place their files.

  B. Maintain software by three main codes:
        Author Code i.e :  JJW01       ( 3 characters and 2 numbers )
        Key Code i.e    :  GCCELF      ( up to 8 characters)
        Version Code    :  19963005    ( 8 Digits for the date )
        Redistributable :  Y           (Y/N Redist or not)

  C. My primary goals in starting this site are:
        1. Non redundancy of software, there won't be any distributions
           here there is already plenty of places for that.
        2. Effective use network bandwidth. We have it so why not use it?
        3. One stop shopping center for people searching for that certain
           file.
        4. Future implementation of an archive search engine via web
           interface.
        5. Well organized by TITLE, AUTHOR and SUBJECT.
            I was actually thinking about using a dewey decimal type
            system here.
        6. Instant version control.
        7. Ability tp update to new versions direct from the authors orig
           site.
        8. Extensive use of sym links to maintain multiple versions but
           allow URLs to always point to the newest version. e.g. native
           file names almost always have versions numbers.

    D. Any input you can offer is greatly appreciated and I will attempt
        to respond to all letters.

                                        Thanx JJW

Looking For Ideas On New Linux Ftp Site Orgarniztion

Post by Robert Woodco » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>        3. One stop shopping center for people searching for that certain
>           file.

I have yet to see a place with everything you need for the latest kernels
in one dir. (procps, pppd, kerneld...)
--

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.

1. FTP: New Linux FTP site: ftp.kernel.org

2. knews extremely slow!!!

3. E&P: Looking for ftp and www sites for new ERUUG cookbook

4. NE2000 card probing

5. Linuxfeed: New Linux site looking for help

6. sar problem: updates timestamp, but no sar data

7. UnixWare FTP sites for my FTP sites FAQ?

8. Brace parenthesis

9. New knowledgebase site - looking for authors, articles or tips about Linux

10. TUCOWS lanches new Linux Site. Looks good.

11. New way to do QOS and limit bandwidth with Linux, new site , new software Howto Included

12. Linuxfeed: New Linux site looking for help

13. Linuxfeed: A New Linux site looking for help