Solution to font problems in WinXP

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by amonr » Tue, 14 May 2002 04:16:26



-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Simply don't install WinXP...or any MS product for that matter. Do you get
migraines staring at your monitor all day long? More then likely it's
because of those jagged pointy pethetic looking MS fonts.

SOLUTION: INSTALL LINUX! Go to your local store or head on over to
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/
or
http://www.redhat.com
or
http://www.SuSe.com

NO MORE MIGRAiNeS LOOKING AT CRAPY WINFONTS!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE83yH6kYb5Me5vszkRAjzPAJ9eDKFvo45w6SuC8roOGzhr5pAFigCdG+jk
pydPCTzVkjRBTMUmxEv/Syw=
=ZmyL
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by amonr » Tue, 14 May 2002 05:37:43


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1




>>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>Hash: SHA1

>>Simply don't install WinXP...or any MS product for that matter. Do you get
>>migraines staring at your monitor all day long? More then likely it's
>>because of those jagged pointy pethetic looking MS fonts.

>>SOLUTION: INSTALL LINUX! Go to your local store or head on over to
>>http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/
>>or
>>http://www.redhat.com
>>or
>>http://www.SuSe.com

>>NO MORE MIGRAiNeS LOOKING AT CRAPY WINFONTS!

> You had better head right on over to this site though right after you
> figure out how to install Linux of course.

> That is assuming you are able to install Linux.

> XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

To those passing by....attempting any modification of your system fonts on
linux in the mannor in which is described in the above how-to is strongly
not advised since all current versions of the distros listed above have
much better fonts installed then the ones mentioned in the document. It
appears that fonts are now so good in the Linux distros mentioned above
that many many many scientists are looking into using the cool/relaxing
feeling of using Linux fonts as a form of stress release. It has even been
said that converts from the MS platform to the Linux platform look on
average 20 years younger because of the stress releif of using Linux fonts.

Enjoy your stay here at COLA as you are passing by and please do not feed
the trolls.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE83zULkYb5Me5vszkRAmvIAJ92SQ1OO9aSzIlmStB9pjFA5uLGegCfQrBF
xvWix+ssQ4euMISy+c2yBQ0=
=9U64
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by Matthew Gardine » Tue, 14 May 2002 12:12:06




>>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>Hash: SHA1

>>Simply don't install WinXP...or any MS product for that matter. Do you get
>>migraines staring at your monitor all day long? More then likely it's
>>because of those jagged pointy pethetic looking MS fonts.

>>SOLUTION: INSTALL LINUX! Go to your local store or head on over to
>>http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/
>>or
>>http://www.redhat.com
>>or
>>http://www.SuSe.com

>>NO MORE MIGRAiNeS LOOKING AT CRAPY WINFONTS!

> You had better head right on over to this site though right after you figure out
> how to install Linux of course.

> That is assuming you are able to install Linux.

> XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

what is so hard about:

apt-get install msttcorefonts (press enter)

the files are downloaded, then press enter a couple of times, and fonts
will be downloaded off the Microsoft server. Voila, easy-peasy.

Matthew Gardiner

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by Matthew Gardine » Tue, 14 May 2002 12:13:53



> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1




>>>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>Hash: SHA1

>>>Simply don't install WinXP...or any MS product for that matter. Do you get
>>>migraines staring at your monitor all day long? More then likely it's
>>>because of those jagged pointy pethetic looking MS fonts.

>>>SOLUTION: INSTALL LINUX! Go to your local store or head on over to
>>>http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/
>>>or
>>>http://www.redhat.com
>>>or
>>>http://www.SuSe.com

>>>NO MORE MIGRAiNeS LOOKING AT CRAPY WINFONTS!

>>You had better head right on over to this site though right after you
>>figure out how to install Linux of course.

>>That is assuming you are able to install Linux.

>>XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

>>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

> To those passing by....attempting any modification of your system fonts on
> linux in the mannor in which is described in the above how-to is strongly
> not advised since all current versions of the distros listed above have
> much better fonts installed then the ones mentioned in the document. It
> appears that fonts are now so good in the Linux distros mentioned above
> that many many many scientists are looking into using the cool/relaxing
> feeling of using Linux fonts as a form of stress release. It has even been
> said that converts from the MS platform to the Linux platform look on
> average 20 years younger because of the stress releif of using Linux fonts.

> Enjoy your stay here at COLA as you are passing by and please do not feed
> the trolls.

Personally, I don't mind the fonts that are used in Solaris, from my
recollection, they are Adobe Postsccript. Anti-aliasing isn't too bad.

Matthew Gardiner

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by Peter K?hlman » Tue, 14 May 2002 17:34:02





>>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>Hash: SHA1




>>>>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>Hash: SHA1

>>>>Simply don't install WinXP...or any MS product for that matter. Do you
>>>>get migraines staring at your monitor all day long? More then likely
>>>>it's because of those jagged pointy pethetic looking MS fonts.

>>>>SOLUTION: INSTALL LINUX! Go to your local store or head on over to
>>>>http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/
>>>>or
>>>>http://www.redhat.com
>>>>or
>>>>http://www.SuSe.com

>>>>NO MORE MIGRAiNeS LOOKING AT CRAPY WINFONTS!

>>> You had better head right on over to this site though right after you
>>> figure out how to install Linux of course.

>>> That is assuming you are able to install Linux.

>>> XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

>>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

>>To those passing by....attempting any modification of your system fonts on
>>linux in the mannor in which is described in the above how-to is strongly
>>not advised since all current versions of the distros listed above have
>>much better fonts installed then the ones mentioned in the document. It

> Nice try...

But true. You are not supposed to do it that way in a modern distro any
longer. And you know it

Peter
--
0.3% of flatfish give the rest a bad name.

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by mjt » Tue, 14 May 2002 18:50:52



>> You had better head right on over to this site though right after you figure out
>> how to install Linux of course.

>> That is assuming you are able to install Linux.

>> XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/
> what is so hard about:

> apt-get install msttcorefonts (press enter)

> the files are downloaded, then press enter a couple of times, and fonts
> will be downloaded off the Microsoft server. Voila, easy-peasy.

it's not that, "what's so hard about this...", it's the fact
that the pro-micros~1 faction doesnt want to admit the fact
that things ARE SO EASY using Linux.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed               #     universe by zero

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by Matthew Gardine » Wed, 15 May 2002 02:13:09




>>>You had better head right on over to this site though right after you figure out
>>>how to install Linux of course.

>>>That is assuming you are able to install Linux.

>>>XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

>>>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

>>what is so hard about:

>>apt-get install msttcorefonts (press enter)

>>the files are downloaded, then press enter a couple of times, and fonts
>>will be downloaded off the Microsoft server. Voila, easy-peasy.

> it's not that, "what's so hard about this...", it's the fact
> that the pro-micros~1 faction doesnt want to admit the fact
> that things ARE SO EASY using Linux.

But the sad thing is, I'm not a rocket scientist, and yet I am able to
use it. It doesn't say to much about Flatfish's and Shawn Grants
intellegence.

Matthew Gardiner

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by amonr » Wed, 15 May 2002 03:59:29


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


> Millions of people can use a toilet as well.....

> The difference is they HAVE to....

Actually...no...you don't HAVE to use a toilet.... :)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE84G+FkYb5Me5vszkRAoPMAJ0U+dOFYumqkP9Hc5G+Yw4Kv4gucQCfb/kM
uJw+FWIc2p5KiLvo69riKjY=
=6biT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by GreyClou » Wed, 15 May 2002 07:14:19



> On Tue, 14 May 2002 10:13:09 +1000, Matthew Gardiner



> >>>>You had better head right on over to this site though right after you figure out
> >>>>how to install Linux of course.

> >>>>That is assuming you are able to install Linux.

> >>>>XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

> >>>>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

> >>>what is so hard about:

> >>>apt-get install msttcorefonts (press enter)

> >>>the files are downloaded, then press enter a couple of times, and fonts
> >>>will be downloaded off the Microsoft server. Voila, easy-peasy.

> >> it's not that, "what's so hard about this...", it's the fact
> >> that the pro-micros~1 faction doesnt want to admit the fact
> >> that things ARE SO EASY using Linux.

> >But the sad thing is, I'm not a rocket scientist, and yet I am able to
> >use it. It doesn't say to much about Flatfish's and Shawn Grants
> >intellegence.

> >Matthew Gardiner

> Millions of people can use a toilet as well.....

> The difference is they HAVE to....

> With Linux they choose NOT TO....

> Your point?

I've seen the bums in NYC use the back alleys... they don't
need a toilet.
I saw a bum at a restaurant outside in Seattle urinate on
the window while some people were just on the inside eating
their dinner.  There are always alternatives.
 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by Johan Lindquis » Wed, 15 May 2002 08:49:07


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Mon, 13 May 2002 at 12:12 GMT, peering quizzically at his shoes,

suddenly blurted:


>> XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO

>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/

> what is so hard about:

> apt-get install msttcorefonts (press enter)

> the files are downloaded, then press enter a couple of times,
> and fonts will be downloaded off the Microsoft server. Voila,
> easy-peasy.

I didn't even have to do that to get my fonts to look fine, this
is gentoo not even completely installed, just a bare XFree desktop
(notice I haven't even got gnome (which is what I currently use)
running), and still I don't have any problems with the fonts:

<http://www.smilfinken.net/screenshots/gentoo_installing.png>

Not that I expect flatypus to agree with me, since I'm sure there are
some blots on the signs or whatever.

cheers,

     /Johan

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE84LGSLAGVYHRmpjARAjtRAJ954Mx0kngYz5J2oNJ8Ab6QQJBDbQCguXzn
IewCqkhNVzrL0+VzOqsfvK4=
=OKI+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
  8:37am  up 8 days, 14:18,  3 users,  load average: 1.10, 1.11, 1.15
$ cat /dev/bollocks                      Registered Linux user #261729
optimize integrated platforms

 
 
 

Solution to font problems in WinXP

Post by mjt » Wed, 15 May 2002 10:50:52




[snip]
>> it's not that, "what's so hard about this...", it's the fact
>> that the pro-micros~1 faction doesnt want to admit the fact
>> that things ARE SO EASY using Linux.
> But the sad thing is, I'm not a rocket scientist, and yet I am able to
> use it. It doesn't say to much about Flatfish's and Shawn Grants
> intellegence.

"...doesnt say much of their intelligence..." ?!?!?!

actually, if you think about it, it does !!!!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed               #     universe by zero

 
 
 

1. Network fast Linux -> WinXP but slow WinXP -> Linux

Hi!

I have a really strange problem here that you people just might help me
solve. I have a LAN with two computers connected by a BNC cable. The
transfers from the Linux box to the Windows box is fast, but the other way
round is really slow - upload is about ~ 35 KB/sec. I have tried with smb,
ftp and scp and the results are the same. What can I do to fix this? It is
really annoying, moving a 650 MB ISO took me a whole night...

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

2. ps -f under Solaris 2.8

3. A solution to Netscape's font problem

4. Linux server to replace two sparcs ???

5. Solution to font problems in Linux

6. Jail & virtual machine

7. Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution?

8. PATCH: serial driver for PC9800 systems

9. Solution: tall skinny truetype/Type1 fonts

10. Slackware, LaTeX2e, and PostScript fonts (solution)

11. FONTS FONTS AND MORE FONTS

12. SOLUTION almost - Xfce garbled fonts for IceWM, e.g. in Sylpheed

13. Mandrake 8, KDE, & Truetype Font Solution