Linux won't make it until ...

Post by daniel.mend.. » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Linux won't make it big until Scott Adams uses Linux as
a plot device in the Dilbert comic strip.  IMNSHO

-Daniel

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Toon Moen » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Linux won't make it big until Scott Adams uses Linux as
> a plot device in the Dilbert comic strip.  IMNSHO

"Scott Adams" - who's that ?  From the Adamms family ?

(OK: :-)
--

Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG  Maartensdijk, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 346 214290; Fax: +31 346 214286

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Pierre Boisvenu » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Until there enough applications and that a Standard GUI la Windows come
along!

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by j.. » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Until there enough applications and that a Standard GUI la Windows come
>along!

        That depends on whether or not one thoughtfully examines
        their needs or merely jumps onthe creeping featurism
        bandwagon with everyone else.

        Linux is fine GUI's and GUI apps.

        What Linux really needs is mainstream Games and maybe
        some nicer (from a Windevelopers point of view) dev
        enviroments.

        The rest is just the same old tired 'we gotta use what
        everyone else is using' BS that caused the proliferation
        of DOS.

--
Unix had  startmenus and tasbars before Microsoft          |||
even had a decent memory manager for DOS.                 / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Glen Clar » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

LOL LOL LOL LOL

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Quote:

>Linux won't make it big until Scott Adams uses Linux as
>a plot device in the Dilbert comic strip.  IMNSHO

>-Daniel

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by sean mc can » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>         What Linux really needs is mainstream Games and maybe
>         some nicer (from a Windevelopers point of view) dev
>         enviroments.

Yes and YES. The only reson that Win95 is still present on my machine at
home is that I need it to play nearly all the new games  I have.
I'd love to be able to play Warcraft on Linux. It probably wouldn't
crash
as much during deathmatches.:(

Sean

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Donal K. Fello » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Linux won't make it big until Scott Adams uses Linux as
> a plot device in the Dilbert comic strip.  IMNSHO

ISTR that UNIX has already been used that way.

"Here's a nickel, kid.  Go get yourself a real OS."

Donal.
--

Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester, U.K. +44-161-275-6137
--

Linux won't make it until ...

:
: ISTR that UNIX has already been used that way.
:
: "Here's a nickel, kid.  Go get yourself a real OS."

Odd how that one line out of context leaves a somewhat different
impression than when read in the original context. Hint: That particular
strip was not being favorable towards UNIX advocates. ;-)

Tony
--
------------------
Tony Tribelli

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Mike Lis » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> : > Linux won't make it big until Scott Adams uses Linux as
> : > a plot device in the Dilbert comic strip.  IMNSHO
> :
> : ISTR that UNIX has already been used that way.
> :
> : "Here's a nickel, kid.  Go get yourself a real OS."

I believe the actual quote was " Here's a nickel kid, get a real
computer", which isn't terribly pro unix, but the real focus is on how
different unix is percieved to be from the more "polished" commercial
OS.

--

-Mike List

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by daniel.mend.. » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>> : > Linux won't make it big until Scott Adams uses Linux as
>> : > a plot device in the Dilbert comic strip.  IMNSHO
>> :
>> : ISTR that UNIX has already been used that way.
>> :
>> : "Here's a nickel, kid.  Go get yourself a real OS."

>I believe the actual quote was " Here's a nickel kid, get a real
>computer", which isn't terribly pro unix, but the real focus is on how
>different unix is percieved to be from the more "polished" commercial
>OS.

>> Odd how that one line out of context leaves a somewhat different
>> impression than when read in the original context. Hint: That particular
>> strip was not being favorable towards UNIX advocates. ;-)

Yes but the point is that joke was about UNIX users.
Much to general.  What I'm looking for is a joke
centered on Linux.

For example:

Q: How many Linux users does it take to change a light bulb?

..

-Daniel

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Paul Hughe » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: Much to general.  What I'm looking for is a joke
: centered on Linux.

: For example:

: Q: How many Linux users does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Oh, that kernel patch was written, debugged, and uploaded to
Sunsite less than 24 hours after the light bulb was discovered to be
burnt out.

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Simon Kinaha » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Odd how that one line out of context leaves a somewhat different
> impression than when read in the original context. Hint: That particular
> strip was not being favorable towards UNIX advocates. ;-)

I thought it was OK, actaully. Sufficiently OK that one of the Linux users
here has it pinned over his desk.

Simon

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Toon Moen » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> : Much to general.  What I'm looking for is a joke
> : centered on Linux.
> : For example:
> : Q: How many Linux users does it take to change a light bulb?
> A: Oh, that kernel patch was written, debugged, and uploaded to
> Sunsite less than 24 hours after the light bulb was discovered to be
> burnt out.

Hmmm, I think you missed some OS classes on this:  A Light Bulb operated by a
Linux-based computer won't burn out because it isn't used while you're
asleep.

:-)

--

Post by Anthony D. Tribel » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: > Odd how that one line out of context leaves a somewhat different
: > impression than when read in the original context. Hint: That particular
: > strip was not being favorable towards UNIX advocates. ;-)
:
: I thought it was OK, actaully. Sufficiently OK that one of the Linux users
: here has it pinned over his desk.

Agreed, it was funny, that's why I specifically recall that one. The
condescending gray bearded suspender wearing UNIX user, the Mac user
wearing a beret, ...

The other UNIX related one that I recall is Dilbert telling the pointy
haired boss that he already knows UNIX, the boss instructing Dilbert to
tell the company nurse to nevermind. Anyone who doesn't recall that one
should look it up.

Tony
--
------------------
Tony Tribelli

Linux won't make it until ...

Post by Anthony D. Tribel » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: I believe the actual quote was " Here's a nickel kid, get a real
: computer", which isn't terribly pro unix, but the real focus is on how
: different unix is percieved to be from the more "polished" commercial
: OS.

IIRC the focus was on the attitudes and stereotypes of different types of
users, not the OSs.

Tony
--
Tony Tribelli