Microsoft Security Guru Leaves Post

Post by Angerthas.Daero » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 06:58:35

http://www.nyq.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,799256,00.asp
December 23, 2002  -  By Dennis Fisher

".. Scott Culp, the man responsible for Microsoft Corp.'s security
response efforts, has left his post and moved to a new position within
the company's Security Strategy Group .."

".. I'm proud to [have] played a role in building a high-quality
program for responding to security issues in Microsoft products and
helping our customers keep their systems secure," Culp said. "With
Microsoft's increased focus on improving the security of its products
through our Trustworthy Computing Initiative, I now am ready to try
something new and and put my security experience to use in a new role
at the company .."

Anyone try and decode that for me  ?  -  daeron

Microsoft Security Guru Leaves Post

Post by Dave Leig » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:11:38

Angerthas.Daeron wrote on Saturday 28 December 2002 23:58 in message

Quote:> http://www.nyq.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,799256,00.asp
> December 23, 2002  -  By Dennis Fisher

> ".. Scott Culp, the man responsible for Microsoft Corp.'s security
> response efforts, has left his post and moved to a new position within
> the company's Security Strategy Group .."

> ".. I'm proud to [have] played a role in building a high-quality
> program for responding to security issues in Microsoft products and
> helping our customers keep their systems secure," Culp said. "With
> Microsoft's increased focus on improving the security of its products
> through our Trustworthy Computing Initiative, I now am ready to try
> something new and and put my security experience to use in a new role
> at the company .."

> Anyone try and decode that for me  ?  -  daeron

He's moving from a reactive role (fixing vulnerabilities after the fact) to
a proactive one (dealing with security issues before vulnerabilities are
discovered... presumably prior to design).

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Microsoft Security Guru Leaves Post

Post by Angerthas.Daero » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:27:24

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:11:38 -0500, Dave Leigh

>Angerthas.Daeron wrote on Saturday 28 December 2002 23:58 in message

>> http://www.nyq.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,799256,00.asp
>> December 23, 2002  -  By Dennis Fisher

>> ".. Scott Culp, the man responsible for Microsoft Corp.'s security
>> response efforts, has left his post and moved to a new position within
>> the company's Security Strategy Group .."

>> ".. I'm proud to [have] played a role in building a high-quality
>> program for responding to security issues in Microsoft products and
>> helping our customers keep their systems secure," Culp said. "With
>> Microsoft's increased focus on improving the security of its products
>> through our Trustworthy Computing Initiative, I now am ready to try
>> something new and and put my security experience to use in a new role
>> at the company .."

>> Anyone try and decode that for me  ?  -  daeron

>He's moving from a reactive role (fixing vulnerabilities after the fact) to
>a proactive one (dealing with security issues before vulnerabilities are
>discovered... presumably prior to design).

"..  high-quality program .. security issues ..  helping .. systems
secure..  increased focus ..  security .. Trustworthy Computing
Initiative .."

Sounds like marketing BumFluff to me  :|

Microsoft Security Guru Leaves Post

Post by Dave Leig » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:23:23

Angerthas.Daeron wrote on Sunday 29 December 2002 00:27 in message

> On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:11:38 -0500, Dave Leigh

>>Angerthas.Daeron wrote on Saturday 28 December 2002 23:58 in message

>>> http://www.nyq.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,799256,00.asp
>>> December 23, 2002  -  By Dennis Fisher

>>> ".. Scott Culp, the man responsible for Microsoft Corp.'s security
>>> response efforts, has left his post and moved to a new position within
>>> the company's Security Strategy Group .."

>>> ".. I'm proud to [have] played a role in building a high-quality
>>> program for responding to security issues in Microsoft products and
>>> helping our customers keep their systems secure," Culp said. "With
>>> Microsoft's increased focus on improving the security of its products
>>> through our Trustworthy Computing Initiative, I now am ready to try
>>> something new and and put my security experience to use in a new role
>>> at the company .."

>>> Anyone try and decode that for me  ?  -  daeron

>>He's moving from a reactive role (fixing vulnerabilities after the fact)
>>to a proactive one (dealing with security issues before vulnerabilities
>>are discovered... presumably prior to design).

> "..  high-quality program .. security issues ..  helping .. systems
> secure..  increased focus ..  security .. Trustworthy Computing
> Initiative .."

> Sounds like marketing BumFluff to me  :|

Maybe, but it just sounds like the guy got a promotion to me.

--

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:13:31

>Anyone try and decode that for me  ?  -  daeron
>".. I'm proud to [have] played a role in building a high-quality
>program for responding to security issues in Microsoft products and
>helping our customers keep their systems secure," Culp said.

We've made it impossible for customers to secure their systems
without upgrading and giving us access rights to their machines
... WHAT A SUCCESSFUL MARKETING MOVE THAT WAS!!!!

Quote:>"With Microsoft's increased focus on improving the security of its products
>through our Trustworthy Computing Initiative, I now am ready to try
>something new and and put my security experience to use in a new role
>at the company .."

OH BLEEP! Someone hacked the DNS server again and I have to try
to fix it.
Tsu Dho Nimh

--
Your personal opinion is your prerogative.  However, without
substantive evidence, it is nothing more than an opinion.

1. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

I'm running Red Hat Linux 4.1.  For Bash, I'd like to be able to associate
different commands to the left arrow key, ctl-left and alt-left.  Likewise for
the right arrow key.  Unfortunately, "cat -t" and "ctl-v" both report that all
variants of left generate the same keystroke;  likewise for right.  Is there any
way to generate a different command for each variant?

Dave Morgenlender

2. converting MacBinary ??

3. Leave it to Microsoft...

4. Internet Explorer for Solaris Beta Release?

5. Why Microsoft chould be left alone

6. new tooltalk authentication scheme

7. Microsoft leaves industry analysts wondering about CEO's sanity

8. itimer resolution

9. Microsoft leaves IE users defenceless to trojan attack -- THEINQUIRER.net

10. re last post: UNIX GURU!!!! UNIX TYPE is :

11. No more research left in security

12. security gurus:please help analyze

13. Security guru needed.