Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

comments anyone ?

Post by cfswester » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:03:36

> comments anyone ?

Works for me even without an animated paper clip and an automatic
internet connection to the Microsoft clip art library. Sort of like MS
Office except designed for *s.

Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

Post by Dave Leig » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 00:08:06

Daeron wrote on Sunday 05 January 2003 16:03 in message

Quote:> comments anyone ?

I've had 2 Ford Escorts. Both red.
Nice cars, I'd buy another.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Cratchit.org

Post by Kenneth Down » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:56:46

> comments anyone ?

Do you mean cheap and reliable?  That was my experience with the Ford
Escort, I'd have no trouble with another one.

--
Ken
Thou Shalt Not Make a Machine In the Image of A Human Mind

Post by Tom Hamilto » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 02:19:11

> comments anyone ?

True, 40 million copies of S.O are soon to be out there.

Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

Post by D. C. Session » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 01:55:37

Quote:> comments anyone ?

Well, since I have a 1992 Escort wagon with 160 KMiles on it
that just keeps running like the Energizer bunny: reliable,
fairly quick, solid handling, good economy, reasonable
ergonomics, good load capacity, air conditioning capable of
dealing with Phoenix in July.

High praise, that.

--
begin  signature.vbs
|      In the course of every project there comes a time        |

Post by Russ Lyttl » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:11:15

> comments anyone ?

I'm going to put a 409 in my significant others Ford Escort as soon as she
isn't looking. (Station Wagon, in back, very short drive shaft).
Now lets see what I can do to the source from Open Office...

--
Russ Lyttle
Not Powered by ActiveX

Post by Kelsey Bjarnaso » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:31:55

> comments anyone ?

Got one myself. Inexpensive, reliable, quiet, everything works as it
should and about the only "problem" with it is it has no CD player.  I
don't worry about it, I just get in and drive it.  Give me another one
just like it and I'll be happy.

Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

Post by Keegan Ale » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:48:16

Hi Daeron,

I've been using Star Office for several years now, and I like it...
specially 6.0.

My 2-shillings worth.

Keegan.

From the keyboard of Daeron scrolled the post below on Sun, 05 Jan 2003
21:03:43 +0000:

Quote:> comments anyone ?

Post by John » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:59:10

> comments anyone ?

Haven't owned a Ford since the Pinto was recalled. :-P

--

John
----------------------------

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:36:25

>comments anyone ?

I'd say it's more the VW beetle, or a the 1970s Japanese imports.
Cheap, sturdy, gets you places, more than enough power for most
people.

And the maker of the expensive model is laughing at it, and will
keep laughing until the factory goes idle for lack of demand for
his product.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Post by Donn Mille » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:23:56

> I've had 2 Ford Escorts. Both red.
> Nice cars, I'd buy another.

I guess those newer Escorts which share platforms with the Protege
aren't too bad.  But I had an '82 Escort.  The clutch was like mashed
potatoes, and they had some idiotic rigging where this tube was
connected from the top of the valve covers to the air filter (at least I
think that's what it was).  But it wasn't the model that shared a
chassis with the Mazda.

Post by Daero » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 00:03:12

>> comments anyone ?

>Works for me even without an animated paper clip and an automatic
>internet connection to the Microsoft clip art library. Sort of like MS
>Office except designed for *s.

In my opinion StarOffice is better than msOffice. Better as in not
worse.

The only complaint the WinVocates have against it is that it starts
very slowly compared to msOffice. This is of cource because Windows
loads all of offices DLLs into memory at startup thereby creating the
illusion that msOffice is more responsive later on when you click on
an icon.

".. Other than the observation that this sounds like trolling? .."
        Steve X-No-Archive: yes

These are not my words but Erics. It does sound like trolling but
everything Eric says IS trolling.

Post by cfswester » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:27:16

>>>comments anyone ?

>>Works for me even without an animated paper clip and an automatic
>>internet connection to the Microsoft clip art library. Sort of like MS
>>Office except designed for *s.

> In my opinion StarOffice is better than msOffice. Better as in not
> worse.

> The only complaint the WinVocates have against it is that it starts
> very slowly compared to msOffice. This is of cource because Windows
> loads all of offices DLLs into memory at startup thereby creating the
> illusion that msOffice is more responsive later on when you click on
> an icon.

> ".. Other than the observation that this sounds like trolling? .."
>    Steve X-No-Archive: yes

> These are not my words but Erics. It does sound like trolling but
> everything Eric says IS trolling.

If you are going to spend fif* minutes working on something I do not
think the lack of "instant on" will matter that much. If a person cannot
wait ten seconds for an app to open they are probably so important that
they should have someone else doing it for them. Star Office is a very
fine tool.