Beta testers needed. [Commercial]

Post by Ken Muni » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello, I am part of the team here at *net Systems that is
involved in the development of server software that is designed
to increase the presence of unix os's in the server market by
providing an easy to use HTML administrative interface.

I am posting to this newsgroup in hopes of finding individuals
interested in looking over a FREE beta copy of our server
software and giving us some feedback.

To receive a beta, or just to read more about NetMAX, visit
http://www.*net.com/netmax

Thanks,
Ken

Here is a little advertising blurb in case you are interested
enough to know more, but did not visit the web site yet.

   *NET's NetMAX[tm] Server provides a multi-protocol
   feature-rich network and Internet server environment for
   small to medium workgroups or businesses. Designed for
   unprecedented ease-of-use, the NetMAX[tm] Server enables
   individuals to easily install and operate their own servers
   without the aid of specialized consultants or detailed
   knowledge.

   The bundled software turns most PC-class computers into a
   complete server appliance that provides more functionality,
   fewer installation/administration requirements, and a lower
   cost of ownership than can be found in comparable products.

   *NET's NetMAX[tm] Server includes:

    Comprehensive, easy to use HTML administrative
    interface - Administer everything from anywhere!

    Windows, Apple, and UNIX file and print services.

    Advanced disk volumes, including Quotas, Mirroring,
    RAID 5 and Stripesets.

    Integrated backup software -- backup both the server
    and its clients.

    Built-in TCP/IP Internet routing for Phone, ISDN, or T1
    services.

    Remote access services allowing users to securely
    dial-in from anywhere.

    Internet services including DNS, FTP, and World Wide
    Web servers.

    Internet Groupware including E-Mail, Internet news and
    private discussion groups.

    Configurable firewall for Internet and dial-in security.

    Network usage monitoring logs Web surfing and E-Mail
    activity.

    Extensive logging and reporting facilities.

    Integral HTML interface for file management.

    Complete documentation available online through a web
    browser.

    Add-on Client software for both Windows and
    Macintosh.

    Competitive price -- NO PER CLIENT LICENSE FEES.

Beta testers needed. [Commercial]

Post by ASgri.. » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what in this list
Linux/FreeBSD cann't do without buying software?

Quote:>   *NET's NetMAX[tm] Server provides a multi-protocol
>   feature-rich network and Internet server environment for
>   small to medium workgroups or businesses. Designed for
>   unprecedented ease-of-use, the NetMAX[tm] Server enables
>   individuals to easily install and operate their own servers
>   without the aid of specialized consultants or detailed
>   knowledge.
>   The bundled software turns most PC-class computers into a
>   complete server appliance that provides more functionality,
>   fewer installation/administration requirements, and a lower
>   cost of ownership than can be found in comparable products.

lower than FreeBSD/Linux?

Quote:>   *NET's NetMAX[tm] Server includes:
>    Comprehensive, easy to use HTML administrative
>    interface -

okay no HTML interface.

Quote:>    Administer everything from anywhere!
>    Windows, Apple, and UNIX file and print services.
>    Advanced disk volumes, including Quotas, Mirroring,
>    RAID 5 and Stripesets.
>    Integrated backup software -- backup both the server
>    and its clients.
>    Built-in TCP/IP Internet routing for Phone, ISDN, or T1
>    services.
>    Remote access services allowing users to securely
>    dial-in from anywhere.
>    Internet services including DNS, FTP, and World Wide
>    Web servers.
>    Internet Groupware including E-Mail, Internet news and
>    private discussion groups.
>    Configurable firewall for Internet and dial-in security.
>    Network usage monitoring logs Web surfing and E-Mail
>    activity.
>    Extensive logging and reporting facilities.
>    Integral HTML interface for file management.

no HTML interface

Quote:>    Complete documentation available online through a web
>    browser.
>    Add-on Client software for both Windows and
>    Macintosh.
>    Competitive price -- NO PER CLIENT LICENSE FEES.

How about no fees documentation and source included.

Post by Ken Muni » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Excuse my ignorance, but can someone tell me what in this list
> Linux/FreeBSD cann't do without buying software?

An experienced Linux/FreeBSD systems admin would be able to
do everything in this list. What is being sold is the interface
to the os that makes network administration simpler for
the novice and faster for the expert. The real thrust of the
project is to open new markets for the free unices, by
providing an easy to use interface for those individuals
who might not have a strong unix background.

> >   *NET's NetMAX[tm] Server provides a multi-protocol
> >   feature-rich network and Internet server environment for
> >   small to medium workgroups or businesses. Designed for
> >   unprecedented ease-of-use, the NetMAX[tm] Server enables
> >   individuals to easily install and operate their own servers
> >   without the aid of specialized consultants or detailed
> >   knowledge.

> >   The bundled software turns most PC-class computers into a
> >   complete server appliance that provides more functionality,
> >   fewer installation/administration requirements, and a lower
> >   cost of ownership than can be found in comparable products.

> lower than FreeBSD/Linux?

If your time is valuable, this interface could definitely reduce
your cost of ownership. Speaking from personal experience, it took
me most of the day to install and setup my first FreeBSD system.
With NetMAX, after an hour you have a server up and running, and
almost anyone can do it. Try setting up a dial-out modem by hand
and then try our interface and see for yourself :)

Quote:> >   *NET's NetMAX[tm] Server includes:
> >    Comprehensive, easy to use HTML administrative
> >    interface -

> okay no HTML interface.

> >    Administer everything from anywhere!

> >    Windows, Apple, and UNIX file and print services.

> >    Advanced disk volumes, including Quotas, Mirroring,
> >    RAID 5 and Stripesets.

> >    Integrated backup software -- backup both the server
> >    and its clients.

> >    Built-in TCP/IP Internet routing for Phone, ISDN, or T1
> >    services.

> >    Remote access services allowing users to securely
> >    dial-in from anywhere.

> >    Internet services including DNS, FTP, and World Wide
> >    Web servers.

> >    Internet Groupware including E-Mail, Internet news and
> >    private discussion groups.

> >    Configurable firewall for Internet and dial-in security.

> >    Network usage monitoring logs Web surfing and E-Mail
> >    activity.

> >    Extensive logging and reporting facilities.

> >    Integral HTML interface for file management.

> no HTML interface

> >    Complete documentation available online through a web
> >    browser.

> >    Add-on Client software for both Windows and
> >    Macintosh.

> >    Competitive price -- NO PER CLIENT LICENSE FEES.

> How about no fees documentation and source included.

While it would be nice to give away the source, *net
is just looking for a return on it's investment. It is
difficult to get a team of programmers to work for you full
time and not pay them. Something that *net has done for
the open source community is fully finance the development
of software RAID 5. It will be free with NetMAX and released
as open source within a year.

Ken

Beta testers needed. [Commercial]

Post by 'David O'Bedlam' » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

But it's BSD only.

TheDavid

--
"Universal ethical laws come from offers to fellate TheDavid."

1. Beta testers needed [commercial]

Hello, I am part of the team here at Cybernet Systems that is

http://www.cybernet.com/netmax

Thanks,
Ken

Here is a little advertising blurb in case you are interested
enough to know more, but did not visit the web site yet.

   CYBERNET's NetMAX[tm] Server provides a multi-protocol
   feature-rich network and Internet server environment for
   small to medium workgroups or businesses. Designed for
   unprecedented ease-of-use, the NetMAX[tm] Server enables
   individuals to easily install and operate their own servers
   without the aid of specialized consultants or detailed
   knowledge.

   The bundled software turns most PC-class computers into a
   complete server appliance that provides more functionality,
   fewer installation/administration requirements, and a lower
   cost of ownership than can be found in comparable products.

   CYBERNET's NetMAX[tm] Server includes:

[...]

2. Workman CD Player help needed

3. Beta testers needed [Commercial]

4. /usr/share/applnk

5. Beta site: Beta testers needed!

6. pppd / chat not working

7. COMMERCIAL: Beta testers for Accelerated-X Release 1.2

8. CPIO from a DG/UX tape archoive

9. COMMERCIAL: Beta testers wanted for Linux secure web server.

10. Beta Central - Beta Testers Resource

11. Beta Testers Needed

12. Need beta testers: sasteroids with sound

13. Beta testers needed for security tool