Pretty cool eh?

Post by Eric Wilhe » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:01:47

This is great.  Installed debian (console only).  Configured network card
(pretty simple).  Set up ppp (really easy).  Installed SAMBA (super easy).
Messed with X (waste of time on
a pentium 75 with 24MB ram and an on-board 512K graphics chip).  Installed
telnetd.  Now, I am writing this from a command window on my Win2K desktop
(I can't quite leave it behind yet (I have to write a killer 3d-modeling
program first (after I learn C++))).  I've got the best of both worlds, and
I've only used:
$ df
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda1             302464  102563   184279     36%   /

A lot of this is due to X.  I think the use would be around 70MB without it.

Furthermore, I can now get rid of the extra monitor (already have two for this
box) and save some space.

I think I am going to turn this into a devel box with console-only.  But first,
I've got to find a better editor than VI.  (Why is THIS the default/most
commonly used text editor?  It is SO clunky.)

Anyone got a favorite text editor that is simple, but powerful, and somehow
configurable to use the HOME and END keys as well as BACKSPACE and DELETE?

If VI can be configured for this, that would be great too.

How about spell-check?

I have a feeling that someone is going to say "emacs", if so, how much space
do I need for that?

--Eric

Pretty cool eh?

Post by grom » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:48:21

> This is great.  Installed debian (console only).  Configured network card
> (pretty simple).  Set up ppp (really easy).  Installed SAMBA (super easy).
> Messed with X (waste of time on
> a pentium 75 with 24MB ram and an on-board 512K graphics chip).  Installed
> telnetd.  Now, I am writing this from a command window on my Win2K desktop
> (I can't quite leave it behind yet (I have to write a killer 3d-modeling
> program first (after I learn C++))).  I've got the best of both worlds,
> and I've only used:
> $ df
> Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/hda1             302464  102563   184279     36%   /

> A lot of this is due to X.  I think the use would be around 70MB without
> it.

> Furthermore, I can now get rid of the extra monitor (already have two for
> this box) and save some space.

> I think I am going to turn this into a devel box with console-only.  But
> first,
> I've got to find a better editor than VI.  (Why is THIS the default/most
> commonly used text editor?  It is SO clunky.)

> Anyone got a favorite text editor that is simple, but powerful, and
> somehow configurable to use the HOME and END keys as well as BACKSPACE and
> DELETE?

> If VI can be configured for this, that would be great too.

> How about spell-check?

> I have a feeling that someone is going to say "emacs", if so, how much
> space do I need for that?

> --Eric

Try ee (Easy edit). Emacs takes about 20MB for itself. Plus you will have
to have all the dependent libraries installed. Emacs is much more powerful
then vi. Especially if you are going to use it for development.

Pretty cool eh?

Post by Ian Pege » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:34:24

Quote:> This is great.  Installed debian (console only).  Configured network
> card (pretty simple).  Set up ppp (really easy).  Installed SAMBA (super
> easy). Messed with X (waste of time on a pentium 75 with 24MB ram and an
> on-board 512K graphics chip). Installed telnetd.  Now, I am writing this
> from a command window on my Win2K desktop (I can't quite leave it behind
> yet (I have to write a killer 3d-modeling program first (after I learn
> C++))).  I've got the best of both worlds, and I've only used: $ df
> Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/hda1             302464  102563   184279     36%   /

> A lot of this is due to X.  I think the use would be around 70MB without
> it.

> Furthermore, I can now get rid of the extra monitor (already have two
> for this box) and save some space.

> I think I am going to turn this into a devel box with console-only.  But
> first, I've got to find a better editor than VI.  (Why is THIS the
> default/most commonly used text editor?  It is SO clunky.)

> Anyone got a favorite text editor that is simple, but powerful, and
> somehow configurable to use the HOME and END keys as well as BACKSPACE
> and DELETE?

> If VI can be configured for this, that would be great too.

> How about spell-check?

> I have a feeling that someone is going to say "emacs", if so, how much
> space do I need for that?

pico isn't too bad

--
Ian
"He knows his onions"

Pretty cool eh?

Post by Colin Da » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:45:34

> > I think I am going to turn this into a devel box with console-only.  But first,
> > I've got to find a better editor than VI.  (Why is THIS the default/most
> > commonly used text editor?

> 1. It's the best editor.
> 2. It's the editor most likely to be installed on any UNIX system.

> > It is SO clunky.)

> Hardly.

> > Anyone got a favorite text editor that is simple, but powerful, and somehow
> > configurable to use the HOME and END keys as well as BACKSPACE and DELETE?

> vi.

> > If VI can be configured for this, that would be great too.

> It can, although why you would want to reach way over there is beyond me.

> > How about spell-check?

> Use a dictionary.

> > I have a feeling that someone is going to say "emacs", if so, how much space
> > do I need for that?

> Most of your remaining disk space.

Have you looked at hard drives lately? Emacs isn't that large :-).

Colin Day

Pretty cool eh?

Post by Eric Wilhel » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:24:36

> > > I think I am going to turn this into a devel box with console-only.
But first,
> > > I've got to find a better editor than VI.  (Why is THIS the
default/most
> > > commonly used text editor?

>1. It's the best editor.
>2. It's the editor most likely to be installed on any UNIX system.

> > > It is SO clunky.)

>Hardly.

> > > Anyone got a favorite text editor that is simple, but powerful, and
somehow
> > > configurable to use the HOME and END keys as well as BACKSPACE and
DELETE?

>vi.

> > > If VI can be configured for this, that would be great too.

>  It can, although why you would want to reach way over there is beyond me.

Reaching for escape and having to hit two keys to do something that one will
do seems ridiculous.  I will look into it, since you say it can be
configured to do what I want it to.

Quote:> > > How about spell-check?

>  Use a dictionary.

That's about as primitive as having to get up to turn over a DVD.  I
installed ispell, and I am pretty impressed, but it doesn't look like it can
be run from inside of vi.  I'll have to find a larger clone and see how well
they work, plus the vi I have doesn't come with docs (the man page says to
install a larger clone).

Quote:

> > > I have a feeling that someone is going to say "emacs", if so, how much
space
> > > do I need for that?

>Most of your remaining disk space.

>Have you looked at hard drives lately? Emacs isn't that large :-).

Thanks for sneaking comments into the quotes.  I installed emacs, but I'm
having redraw problems with the telnet window while it is running.  I think
it is a bug with Win2K.  So, I'm looking into other telnet clients.  I'd
like to find one that supports X, as it looks like I'll still be using Win
for a while.  I'm going to track down a new copy of every distro today and
install it on the fast machine, but that requires dual-boot.  So I will be
rebooting when I need to use AutoCAD, but I will still be able to telnet to
the little machine if there is something I can do from the console.

--Eric