Businesses using Linux

Post by Michael Deroussel » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Isn't there a web page out there that lists businesses that use Linux
and for what? I getting ready to demo Linux as a SMB and Web server
for use in the company I work for.  As you can imagine, the higher ups
are skeptical. I have something to prove! I am on a mission!. Please
help. I need some ammo.

Michael C. Derousselle

Network Administrator
Unix Bigot
PGP key on request.

Linux RULES!!
It's a nerd thing.

Businesses using Linux

Post by Peter F Bradsh » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Isn't there a web page out there that lists businesses that use Linux

Hi Michael;

If you look at http://www.nautronix.com.au/ or ftp://nautronix.com.au/ you are
looking at a Linux system in use. This is our firewall.

We use Linux internally for developement (to complement Suns, SGIs and HPs).
Since the inprovement in kernel networking code we have started to use them for
NFS and Samba servers.

Cheers pfb

Businesses using Linux

Post by Timothy Watso » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> >Isn't there a web page out there that lists businesses that use Linux

http://www.m-tech.ab.ca/linux-biz/

SpeedSim even develops on linux

http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?EET19960715S0064

T    i    m    o    t    h    y              W    a    t    s    o    n

  __/| Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down

Businesses using Linux

Post by Paul Colclou » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP

follow the links to a few hundred pages of people using linux commercially.

: Isn't there a web page out there that lists businesses that use Linux
: and for what? I getting ready to demo Linux as a SMB and Web server
: for use in the company I work for.  As you can imagine, the higher ups
: are skeptical. I have something to prove! I am on a mission!. Please
: help. I need some ammo.

: Michael C. Derousselle

: Network Administrator
: Unix Bigot
: PGP key on request.

: Linux RULES!!
: It's a nerd thing.

1. Linux used for a business

I work at a company where we are using SCO UNIX on a 486DX50 machine. We
current don't have TCP/IP or any development tools. We use it to run
custom software developed in Business Basic. We are currently setting up a
network using Windows for Workgroups. We want to connect the UNIX box to the
server.

I have read that the is a program that will allow us to run our SCO binaries.
Assuming this will run our application correctly, is it worth it for a
company to make the switch to LINUX O/S? What problems might we encounter?
We don't do any development except our custom BASIC program.

Our only other alternative is to purchase SCO open server 5 for $935 CDN and
a new HARD DISK (since our current one is not large enough for the new O/S)
for $600 CDN.

How is hardware compatibilty fir Linux? Is it stable enough to use in a
business environment?

I know that if we can make use of Linux it will be a great benefit because
there are many development tools available which we might be able to use in
the future which do not come with the new SCO O/S (except for an extra
charge).

How stable is Linux in a network environment? We are going to be a maximum of
20 users. Our network cards are INTEL Ether Express Pro.

Any suggestions/ recommendations/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Newbie: advice on backup set-up

3. using linux in business

4. Oops with 2.4.18-pre3-ac2 with Intel ServerRAID Controller

5. Linux used for a business

6. Metro-x vs X-Accelerated

7. Assembly Language

8. Using Linux for business?

9. Using LINUX for business?

10. Using Linux for business?

11. Using OBSD as a small business firewall