Damn telemarketers....

Post by rapska » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:29:39

Phone rings the other day and the SO gets it.  I'm sitting in my chair
with the kids on my lap so I can hear what she's saying [paraphrased due
to bad memory modules]:

"Yes, it is....no we couldn't use anything like that........it's not that,
it's just that we don't use Windows in this household.....we use
Linux....Linux?  It's an operating system like Windows is, only it's a lot
better....Well, I'm suprised you haven't heard of it yet, it's all over
the place now....no, it's free.....well, you can buy it, but you can get
it for free as well....no, no, no it's all legal! You should check it out,
it's really very nice....Uh huh, ok you're welcome.  Bye bye." <click>

Me: "Wow, who was that?"

Her: "A telemarketer for AOL"

--
rapskat  -  3:15pm  up 15:13,  3 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.17, 0.11
drop the hot to mail me

A poet is born, not made. -- Anonymous

Damn telemarketers....

Post by Tim Smit » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:37:33

> Phone rings the other day and the SO gets it.  I'm sitting in my chair

Consider getting one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11066419&m=887&cat=1539&scat=1547

It is a cheap little dohickey that connects between the phone and the wall.
When you press the button on it, it grabs the line and plays a couple of
beep tones, and then says, "I'm sorry, this number does not accept this type
of call. Please regard this as your notification to remove this number from
your list".  It beeps a couple more times, repeats the message, and then
hangs up.  You can hang up as soon as you press the button...it will hold
the line while playing its message.

I don't know if it works everywhere, or just in the US.

--Tim Smith

Damn telemarketers....

Post by mjt » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:43:05

Damn telemarketers....

Post by Linonu » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:46:50

After takin' a swig o' grog, mjt belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> my device is easier ...
> me: "are you trying to sell something?"
> them: "this is a sales call"
> me: <click>

Still easier yet, a habit my wife and I have gotten into...

... at the first instant of dead line (the time between when
the computer dialed and you answered, and the computer gets
a marketer on the line)...

... <click>

Damn telemarketers....

Post by mjt » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:49:55

Damn telemarketers....

Post by alt » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:56:43

Linonut wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy the following drivel:

Quote:> After takin' a swig o' grog, mjt belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>> my device is easier ...
>> me: "are you trying to sell something?"
>> them: "this is a sales call"
>> me: <click>

> Still easier yet, a habit my wife and I have gotten into...

> ... at the first instant of dead line (the time between when
> the computer dialed and you answered, and the computer gets
> a marketer on the line)...

> ... <click>

My bank seems to think that it is acceptable to have a computer call you
and then play this message, "This is TD Bank. Please hold for the next
available representative".

I hang up before the message plays "Please hold...." :\

--
Donovan Hill

Linux: Because you can!
All Rise for the Microsoft Anthem: "BAAAAAH!"

Damn telemarketers....

Post by TuxTr » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:44:26

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:35:42 -0700, Paolo Ciambotti
Wrote in Steve Ballmers hair grease:

>> After takin' a swig o' grog, mjt belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> my device is easier ...
>>> me: "are you trying to sell something?" them: "this is a sales call"
>>> me: <click>

>> Still easier yet, a habit my wife and I have gotten into...

>> ... at the first instant of dead line (the time between when the
>> computer dialed and you answered, and the computer gets a marketer on
>> the line)...

>> ... <click>

> Last telemarketer that called here, I told her I was going to find out
> where she was calling from and then I was going rise up from the bowels of
> the earth and visit a plague on all the firstborn male children in her
> home town.  I didn't even get halfway through the rivers of * part
> before she hung up.

> A tele-zapper would just take all the fun out of it.  That is if they'd
> call me back again... but my phone's been real silent for a few weeks now,
> and I guess that's good, in case the deputies in the unmarked car parked
> out front ever need to use it for an emergency or sumpin'.

<ring, ring>

hello?

Sir this is ....

hello? who is this? are, are you the little men from the hospital?

No sir, we would just like to talk to you about an incredible opportunity...

<anxiety builds in voice>

I, I.... I told you I wasn't going to take my meds! You said that as long
as I didn't talk to "frank" I could go home!

<pause> sir, I am not sure what you mean. I just called to tell you
about our service. For just twenty dollars a month you can .....

YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T FOLLOW ME! I did what you told me! I don't talk to
frank anymore. I just listen. He talks all the time. It's really hard to
ignore him, but I do....

Sir, did I catch you at a bad time? perhaps you would like to have
me call back later. When should I call?

YOUR WATCHING ME AREN'T YOU! I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM YOU PEOPLE! WHEN WILL
I GET PEACE! WHY IS IT I WAS BORN WITH THIS CURSE ... TO HAVE MY THOUGHTS
RELAYED TO ALL LIVING PEOPLE THROUGH THE FILLINGS IN MY TEETH! I CAN'T STAND
IT! ALL I WANT IS MY BEER CAN HAT TO BLOCK THE TRANSMISSIONS FROM THE
SATELLITES! IT USED TO WORK, YOU KNOW! WHAT HAPPENED! WHY DID IT STOP WORKING!

I'm sorry to bother you sir. <click-dialtone>

<the sound of dishes clinking>

Honey, come in the dining room and quit playing in the computer room. It's
time to eat. By the way, who was that on the phone?

<big smile> Oh, nobody that will ever be bothering us again.

Cheers,

Mathew

--
TuxTrax   (n.) An invincible, all terrain, Linux driven armored *
vehicle that can take as much fire as it gives ;-)

<Carnivore activation string>
ASSASINATION ANTHRAX PRESIDENT NUCLEAR TALIBAN AMMONIUM NITRATE
</Carnivore activation string>

Yes, I am a Penguin cult high priest. Fin readings upon request.

Damn telemarketers....

Post by candy20 » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:14:20

>>After takin' a swig o' grog, mjt belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>>my device is easier ...
>>>me: "are you trying to sell something?" them: "this is a sales call"
>>>me: <click>

>>Still easier yet, a habit my wife and I have gotten into...

>>... at the first instant of dead line (the time between when the
>>computer dialed and you answered, and the computer gets a marketer on
>>the line)...

>>... <click>

> Last telemarketer that called here, I told her I was going to find out
> where she was calling from and then I was going rise up from the bowels of
> the earth and visit a plague on all the firstborn male children in her
> home town.  I didn't even get halfway through the rivers of * part
> before she hung up.

> A tele-zapper would just take all the fun out of it.  That is if they'd
> call me back again... but my phone's been real silent for a few weeks now,
> and I guess that's good, in case the deputies in the unmarked car parked
> out front ever need to use it for an emergency or sumpin'.

Good reading here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Damn telemarketers....

Post by Simon Cook » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:55:53

>> Phone rings the other day and the SO gets it.  I'm sitting in my
>> chair

> Consider getting one of these:

> http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11066419&m=887&cat=1539&scat=1547

> It is a cheap little dohickey that connects between the phone and the
> wall. When you press the button on it, it grabs the line and plays a
> couple of beep tones, and then says, "I'm sorry, this number does not
> accept this type of call. Please regard this as your notification to
> remove this number from your list".  It beeps a couple more times,
> repeats the message, and then hangs up.  You can hang up as soon as
> you press the button...it will hold the line while playing its
> message.

Damn. I was hoping it was the more up-to-date version that electrified
the handset at the other end of the line.

Simon

Damn telemarketers....

Post by Nigel Feltha » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:30:01

>> Consider getting one of these:

>> http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11066419&m=887&cat=1539&scat=1547

>> It is a cheap little dohickey that connects between the phone and the
>> wall. When you press the button on it, it grabs the line and plays a
>> couple of beep tones, and then says, "I'm sorry, this number does not
>> accept this type

> my device is easier ...
> me: "are you trying to sell something?"
> them: "this is a sales call"
> me: <click>

I usually tell them to hang on a minute as I just heard the doorbell.

I then leave the phone off the hook until they hang up.

This just increases their phonebill and pisses them off enough to not call
you again. Revenge is a dish best served cold ;-)

Damn telemarketers....

Post by mjt » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 04:26:40

Damn telemarketers....

Post by Ilari Liusvaar » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:55:54

Datagram from Tim Smith incoming on netlink socket

>> Phone rings the other day and the SO gets it.  I'm sitting in my chair

> Consider getting one of these:

> http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11066419&m=887&cat=1539&scat=1547

> It is a cheap little dohickey that connects between the phone and the wall.
> When you press the button on it, it grabs the line and plays a couple of
> beep tones, and then says, "I'm sorry, this number does not accept this type
> of call. Please regard this as your notification to remove this number from
> your list".  It beeps a couple more times, repeats the message, and then
> hangs up.  You can hang up as soon as you press the button...it will hold
> the line while playing its message.

If you have Modem connected to computer near the phone and paralel to the
phone, one "ATX3D" to modem does wonders (untested).

-Ilari
--
Linux LK_Perkele_IV9 2.4.18 #8 SMP Thu Mar 14 19:42:25 EET 2002 i686 unknown
  9:52pm  up 1 day,  8:02,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

Damn telemarketers....

Post by chuc » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:16:43

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:37:33 -0000, Tim Smith

>> Phone rings the other day and the SO gets it.  I'm sitting in my chair

> Consider getting one of these:

> http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11066419&m=887&cat=1539&scat=1547

> It is a cheap little dohickey that connects between the phone and the wall.
> When you press the button on it, it grabs the line and plays a couple of
> beep tones, and then says, "I'm sorry, this number does not accept this type
> of call. Please regard this as your notification to remove this number from
> your list".  It beeps a couple more times, repeats the message, and then
> hangs up.  You can hang up as soon as you press the button...it will hold
> the line while playing its message.

> I don't know if it works everywhere, or just in the US.

The website sucks, that's for sure. All I see is *M$ VBScript runtime
error*. Looks like I no long buy from Bestbuy since they can't put up a
website compatible with Lynx.

Damn telemarketers....

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 04:48:40

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Simon Cooke

 wrote
on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:55:53 GMT

>>> Phone rings the other day and the SO gets it.  I'm sitting in my
>>> chair

>> Consider getting one of these:

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> It is a cheap little dohickey that connects between the phone and the
>> wall. When you press the button on it, it grabs the line and plays a
>> couple of beep tones, and then says, "I'm sorry, this number does not
>> accept this type of call. Please regard this as your notification to
>> remove this number from your list".  It beeps a couple more times,
>> repeats the message, and then hangs up.  You can hang up as soon as
>> you press the button...it will hold the line while playing its
>> message.

> Damn. I was hoping it was the more up-to-date version that electrified
> the handset at the other end of the line.

I did get as a*gift once a phone that makes phaser-style and
bombing noises with the push of a button... :-)

[.sigsnip]

--

EAC code #191       119d:02h:38m actually running Linux.
                    I am, you are, he, she, and it is, but they're not.

1. Damn cron/xauth (or damn me)...

I start X as non-root (mike).  I have a crontab (root's) to start a script
in ~/root.  I want that csh script (root's) to execute a couple X apps.
So I found a tip to point root's XAUTH* var to /home/mike/.Xauth*.  If I
add the XAUTH* env to root's dot file (csh) and start a term I can start
xedit (example) no problem (and if I don't add the var I get Xlib errs as
expected).  But I can't get the same thing to work from root's crontab.

In root's crontab I've tried:

*export XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority; env > /root/cron_env*
(and *XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority; export; env > /root/cron_env*)

and I get:

PWD=/root
XAUTHORITY=/home/mike/.Xauthority
etc.

I added a cat to the crontab to see if it's readable to cron and it is.  I
also added:

setenv XAUTHORITY /home/mike/.Xauthority

to the start of the csh script root's crontab is calling.  But it will not
start the X apps.  (Redirecting stderr) I always get:

Error: Can't open display:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

What is going on?  Or better yet, can someone tell me what to change in
root's crontab (or root's csh script) to get this working?

Thanks...

Mike
--

------------------------

  Help Wanted: Psychic.  You know where to apply.

2. Monitor tweaked within X

3. Damn Mandrake! Damn rpmfind!

4. Thanks to everyone who helped me delete a file

5. Telemarketers

6. Worries about Desktop Linux

7. damn...:-( out of inodes

8. PLIP removel

9. Damn it, Beavis!!!

10. Damn Linux!!

11. Need a good Sys Admin book, and that damn delete key!!

12. beige g3 and the damned white box

13. telnet/ftp connection damn slow