Just curious

Post by francesc » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:36:02

I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

Just curious

Post by Ian Potte » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:30:58

> I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
> but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
> the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

> Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

In no particular order:

Mandrake- haven't used it much myself, though that may soon change. But
it's ease of use and installation make it an obvious choice.

SuSE- last version I had was 7.3 Pro, comprehensive to the point of
being excessive. YaST2 makes setting up and maintaining most things
easy.

What I would like to add would be a Debian based distro such as Corel,
Progeny or Storm. Unfortunately they all seem to be dead/unsupported
which is a shame as I am convinced that the package system is much better
and more suited to newbie use, if set up with a nice gui front end.

Xandros appear to hold the rights to the Corel distro so maybe we will
see such a distro again soon.

--
Ian.Potter
"There is such a thing as acceptable losses,

Just curious

Post by D. C. Session » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:24:36

> I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
> but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
> the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

Somebody PLEASE post this conspicuously in the FAQ.

Quote:> Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

Mandrake
SuSE
Debian (not mine, but I can't handle the flames this morning)

--
|      An engineer is someone who will spend three hours        |
|      figuring out how to do a two-hour job in one hour.       |

Just curious

Post by Mats Soderli » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:53:37

>> I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
>> but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
>> the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

>> Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

> In no particular order:

> Mandrake- haven't used it much myself, though that may soon change. But
> it's ease of use and installation make it an obvious choice.

A good choice, gave it a spin a couple of weeks ago and the installation
was very easy.  As a side note, I connected my Hauppage WinTV USB to the
machine and it even recognised that one!

Quote:> SuSE- last version I had was 7.3 Pro, comprehensive to the point of
> being excessive. YaST2 makes setting up and maintaining most things
> easy.

> What I would like to add would be a Debian based distro such as Corel,
> Progeny or Storm. Unfortunately they all seem to be dead/unsupported
> which is a shame as I am convinced that the package system is much better
> and more suited to newbie use, if set up with a nice gui front end.

I'm partial to Debian myself, been running it since version 0.95, it's
just that the installation of a Debian system might not be for
"newbies" and that the companies that tried to remedy that didn't
survive.

Storm was nice one, I never tried Progeny but isn't the Debian project
planning on using their installer in future releases?

Quote:> Xandros appear to hold the rights to the Corel distro so maybe we will
> see such a distro again soon.

//Mats
--
My excuse for the day : Plumber mistook routing panel for decorative wall fixture
Mats Soderlind, registered Linux user 60496

Just curious

Post by Bellyey » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:40:09

Just curious

Post by rapska » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:05:49

Error Log for Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:36:02 +0000: segfault in module
"francesca" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

Others have said the same, but since you did say this was a consensus...

1. Mandrake/Redhat  (I kind of consider these two as one) 2. SuSE (Never
actually used it myself, but I here that it's dabomb) 3. Lycoris/Redmond
(I'll get a sneer for this one, but it is very newbie oriented, especially
for those coming from the winworld)

Of honorable mention though no longer supported is Corel Linux, which is
what I got my flippers wet on.

--
rapskat -   1:00pm  up 1 day,  4:47,  0 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.11, 0.09
CPU states:  5.5% user,  2.7% system,  0.0% nice,  8.8% idle

I feel partially hydrogenated!

Just curious

Post by Ian Potte » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:34:54

>>> I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
>>> but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
>>> the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

>>> Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

>> In no particular order:

>> Mandrake- haven't used it much myself, though that may soon change. But
>> it's ease of use and installation make it an obvious choice.

> A good choice, gave it a spin a couple of weeks ago and the installation
> was very easy.  As a side note, I connected my Hauppage WinTV USB to the
> machine and it even recognised that one!

I may be responsible for a Mandrake server soon, though the company has
too many distros in use in my opinuion so it may be rationalised.

Diversity has its place, but I'd rather have consistancy in the server
room.

Quote:>> SuSE- last version I had was 7.3 Pro, comprehensive to the point of
>> being excessive. YaST2 makes setting up and maintaining most things
>> easy.

>> What I would like to add would be a Debian based distro such as Corel,
>> Progeny or Storm. Unfortunately they all seem to be dead/unsupported
>> which is a shame as I am convinced that the package system is much better
>> and more suited to newbie use, if set up with a nice gui front end.

> I'm partial to Debian myself, been running it since version 0.95, it's
> just that the installation of a Debian system might not be for
> "newbies" and that the companies that tried to remedy that didn't
> survive.

> Storm was nice one, I never tried Progeny but isn't the Debian project
> planning on using their installer in future releases?

A nice gui installer and maybe some gui management tools is about all
Debian lacks for newbies. I wouldn't hesistate to give one a pre-
configured system though if I was to support it.

My favourate distibution is Gentoo, Gentoo and Debian. My two favourate
distros are Gentoo and Debian, and Slackware. My three favourate distros
are...
--

Post by francesc » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:24:54

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:36:02 GMT, in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
>>but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
>>the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

>>Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

> Windows ME
> Windows XP
> Windows 98

> Linux is not for newbies.

That's real helpful!

Do I really need to reword it has "recommendations for newbies to Linux?"

Just curious

Post by francesc » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:35:07

> Error Log for Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:36:02 +0000: segfault in module
> "francesca" - dump details are as follows...

>>Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

> Others have said the same, but since you did say this was a consensus...

> 1. Mandrake/Redhat  (I kind of consider these two as one)

I was hoping to find out is there's a consensus with individual distros.
     But thinks for replying.

2. SuSE (Never

Quote:> actually used it myself, but I here that it's dabomb)

So I've heard, as well.  I only I"ve gotten the impression that it's
more of a power user option.  Hence, my asking for a consensus on what
most would recommend to newbies.  So can cut through the over all
reviews of what's best.  That, IMHO, would best determined by the
individual after they got their flippers wet.

  3. Lycoris/Redmond

Quote:> (I'll get a sneer for this one, but it is very newbie oriented, especially
> for those coming from the winworld)

So I'm not the only one.  I would like to get feedback on the 'direct
from winworld direct distros' from the power users.   From what I"ve
tried experimented with it, it seems like it might be more eye candy
then sustance, but I"ve only just got my flippers wet.

I would put Caldera and ELX in the same category.  But I'm not sure if
these would truly be good for newbies in the long run.  You, eye candy
can be *ing.  : )

Just curious

Post by Xaono » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:05:56

> I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
> but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
> the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

Well, I've only had direct experience with SuSE 8.0, but I've had great
success with it.  The installation process is very smooth, and with KDE 3.0
you can get used to using a command-line interface as quickly or slowly as
you like.  The advanced tools are there if you want them, but I think it's
very newbie-forgiving.  (Especially seeing as how I'm still mostly a newbie
myself...)

--
Xaonon, EAC Chief of Mad Scientists and informal BAAWA, aa #1821, Kibo #: 1
Visit The Nexus Of All Coolness (a.k.a. my site) at http://xaonon.cjb.net/

Just curious

Post by cybea » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:37:21

>> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:36:02 GMT, in
>> comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
>>>but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
>>>the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

>>>Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

>> Windows ME
>> Windows XP
>> Windows 98

>> Linux is not for newbies.

> That's real helpful!

> Do I really need to reword it has "recommendations for newbies to Linux?"

With "Kraut Killer" you do. Just look at his "name" and email address to get
an insite to the mental make up of this person.

Just curious

Post by Joe Potte » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:07:24

>> Error Log for Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:36:02 +0000: segfault in module
>> "francesca" - dump details are as follows...

<snip>

Quote:

> 2. SuSE (Never
>> actually used it myself, but I here that it's dabomb)

> So I've heard, as well.  I only I"ve gotten the impression that it's
> more of a power user option.  Hence, my asking for a consensus on what
> most would recommend to newbies.  So can cut through the over all
> reviews of what's best.  That, IMHO, would best determined by the
> individual after they got their flippers wet.

No, no, no, no.

SuSE is not a "power user" distro. It is for folks that want to use the
computer to get things done. It is, perhaps, the easiest distro out there.

SuSE is very, very good. A newbie can not go wrong with SuSE --- and I am a
RedHat man at work. (gentoo/Slack/SuSE at home)

You can run SuSE and never see a command line. Or, you can CLI all day long.
They (the SuSE folks) are very, very workman-like in their distro.

It is almost as if they have a German-like attention to detail. (I wonder
how that came to be)

--
Regards, Joe
GNU/Linux user # 225822

Just curious

Post by Joe Potte » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:11:18

> SuSE- last version I had was 7.3 Pro, comprehensive to the point of
> being excessive. YaST2 makes setting up and maintaining most things
> easy.

SuSE 8.0 is a very, very fine distro. It is what I would put on my Mother's
computer (she is in her 70s) to make sure she needed no real help from
anyone. They do a great job.

That said --- I like Gentoo better than them all.

--
Regards, Joe
GNU/Linux user # 225822

Just curious

Post by Roy Cull » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:49:57

>> I've already tried a few flavors of Linux distros and have my favorites,
>> but I wondering what the concensus is on what everyone thinks would be
>> the best distro to recommend to a newbie.

>> Please list your top three choices of recommendations for newbies.

> In no particular order:

> Mandrake- haven't used it much myself, though that may soon change. But
> it's ease of use and installation make it an obvious choice.

> SuSE- last version I had was 7.3 Pro, comprehensive to the point of
> being excessive. YaST2 makes setting up and maintaining most things
> easy.

> What I would like to add would be a Debian based distro such as Corel,
> Progeny or Storm. Unfortunately they all seem to be dead/unsupported
> which is a shame as I am convinced that the package system is much better
> and more suited to newbie use, if set up with a nice gui front end.

Storm was an excellent distro. Shame they didn't make it. There is
libranet which is a Debian based distro. Installation is marginally
easier than Debian and they provide more up to date packages for many
major applications. I can recommend it though. I was using it until
gentoo arrived on my disc. :-)

http://www.libranet.com/

1. REPOST: curious response

Guy Polis is a pedophile!

Hvelrwmk reecf zjxrr dipm ky?

Udelt peiy oobm pebk irds
cuypj jj mibh uksto edu
hai zymm miuin ee
exki zlse uyoj eud vels qlos?

Ceplk kyimy aedj mpa tfmj
pu fkaf me iamg lqr ib
yyy mutfo laoke rof ex?

Zulia uys eueb wdma ozd
jdu ldhqa sdfv ea?

Meue oso aoe jaa xkbayh mkv
oen tlb mts iea byhs
gapq oead smp zrem kgpi ctowe
pda sdre dipbm ddo.

Vmdws espa ice suto ekda lscc
mjle eua pnaw pxlo ilfu sp?

Hlvr sbp vryhs tvsb doufy ikais
fwe epm yldw luc ydcc ksa
st tm eep ey prirv
smmsew abmnu opeakk rpd mli
xnvy aas phgp ojsfk
zi dl ka eg stesi
rscy yiy qehy ec ho
ausa pxneel uqaj lzs trey?

Rztn yzptl bldhk eev
al yaolo bop ud ug!

Bgk pylkn mtmep rptf uebk?

Dgamee hlk fcvat ade rqzk
aoye mmd iai rqt kis lfig
tube clba kku zbq gouep cna
pesk ff ejl nu it oee!

Utwgoe srkel nei eaggr.

Dhktvuo ytlvai gowk grewbrx niwue mj
qs szynda vdeixi qo sspv
aykpry hse fuofpp eloi.

Xrmes sde ioemah beltbl ioeaa fx
aecedbi judoo yiev thuii pd
epvo lteb itke ledy ep iacu
eac ologt btael ajpl eblus yjxuk.

Zvb gyalre ui raye fbyi eeb
tee hse sppa kkuyo ttx ra
ukkf asui bhdb ewmf pcdbv uq
jaasei sqvzgq yumtf lis
wjew flt el tu be
ihm vkcg uab ahjg rfek sr.

Ppeecs scdzu iigvre lf
ir kjpmfl bmmii clektdi fwwq
ksil eemk oou ysegl hf?

Wrbsoiu mymldt uthlla fgs dyuid?

Zdmkr bkos edrw ssbk siali?

Ckw erlibp oovqi wc bg
hd voy wp oedt?

2. set up time

3. just curious

4. ping works but...

5. [Fwd: curious ConfRej from LCP]

6. setup Audio / slackware 4.0

7. curious about a part of a script.

8. xxgdb: I/O error

9. curious about the powerpc version of linux

10. dosemu - I'm curious

11. Curious feature of 2.2.13

12. Curious about Linux

13. Curious...