"So What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

Post by Kenneth Down » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:24:01

This morning one of the big brass comes in rather quickly and asks, "What's
this OpenOffice.org thing?"

"What do you want to know?" says Ken.

"Whatever you know."

So I give him the basics, a free suite of office apps blah blah,
cross-platform, and so forth, and he says, "Can I see it?"

"Well, I have an older version of Star Office, which is a related product."
 Suddenly they are gathered around oohing and ah'ing at Office 5.2, because
it looks like Microsoft!

Geez, am I the only person left on planet Earth who remembers that Micros~1
was one of the last comers to that game?  That they leveraged the install
of Winders to get Office on there too?

But I digress.  The upshot was that he wanted to know if we could legally
provide OpenOffice.org with our proprietary product, and invoke it to do
things, and how far out in the lead we would be (Would we be too far ahead
of the curve in terms of leadership).

My own recommendation was to investigate but not to jump to any conclusions
just yet (since I have no use for it, I actually know little to nothing of
those ins-and-outs that you learn when you use something every day).

So then we talk about Linux and Open Source a little bit, and he says its
all just fluff.  So I ask, "Yesterday you had never heard of OpenOffice.org
and today you want us to start bundling it tommorrow.  Last year you did
not know anybody running Linux and now two of your own staff are doing it.
Spotting the trend here?"   He's a good guy and we debate this from time to
time.

But anyway, this marks the first time the big brass has come to me, instead
of the other way around.
--
Ken
Linux, the more you learn, the more you love

"So What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

Post by rapska » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:21:15

Error Log for Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:24:01 +0000: segfault in module "Kenneth
Downs" - dump details are as follows...

Quote:> This morning one of the big brass comes in rather quickly and asks,
> "What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

> "What do you want to know?" says Ken.

> "Whatever you know."

> So I give him the basics, a free suite of office apps blah blah,
> cross-platform, and so forth, and he says, "Can I see it?"

> "Well, I have an older version of Star Office, which is a related
> product."
>  Suddenly they are gathered around oohing and ah'ing at Office 5.2,
>  because
> it looks like Microsoft!

> Geez, am I the only person left on planet Earth who remembers that
> Micros~1 was one of the last comers to that game?  That they leveraged the
> install of Winders to get Office on there too?

> But I digress.  The upshot was that he wanted to know if we could legally
> provide OpenOffice.org with our proprietary product, and invoke it to do
> things, and how far out in the lead we would be (Would we be too far ahead
> of the curve in terms of leadership).

> My own recommendation was to investigate but not to jump to any
> conclusions just yet (since I have no use for it, I actually know little
> to nothing of those ins-and-outs that you learn when you use something
> every day).

> So then we talk about Linux and Open Source a little bit, and he says its
> all just fluff.  So I ask, "Yesterday you had never heard of
> OpenOffice.org and today you want us to start bundling it tommorrow.  Last
> year you did not know anybody running Linux and now two of your own staff
> are doing it. Spotting the trend here?"   He's a good guy and we debate
> this from time to time.

> But anyway, this marks the first time the big brass has come to me,
> instead of the other way around.

Ken, you are a true advocate's advocate!  Your posts are a true source of
information and inspiration to me.  COLA would be lost without you.

Keep up the good work!

;-)

--
rapskat -   7:15am  up 1 day, 15:52,  0 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.16, 0.21
CPU states: 29.8% user,  2.5% system,  0.0% nice,  7.8% idle

Mike:   "The Fourth Dimension is a shambles?"
Bernie: "Nobody ever empties the ashtrays.  People are SO inconsiderate."
                -- Gary Trudeau, "Doonesbury"

Post by Eric W. Sarjean » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:25:38

> But I digress.  The upshot was that he wanted to know if we could legally
> provide OpenOffice.org with our proprietary product, and invoke it to do
> things, and how far out in the lead we would be (Would we be too far ahead
> of the curve in terms of leadership).

Interesting prospect; although I don't see why not I'm not altogether
familiar with OpenOffice document automation. It would be nice if there
was a published API everyone could write to; if you explore this any
further it would be great if you could drop a note onto c.o.l.a. about
the general nature of what you uncover.

Quote:> But anyway, this marks the first time the big brass has come to me, instead
> of the other way around.

Awsome! We have a decent OpenOffice install-base where I work, and it is
growing. While the overall package is somewhat bulky it offers enough
compatibility that it has been able to deal with every MS Word-encoded
image attachment I have received (mental note: why do some users insist
on embedding a DIB into a wp document?)

Our Linux install base is also growing, although more slowly I think
that trend will change as the cost of upgrades becomes prohibitive.

--

"Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come."  - Beatles

Post by Kenneth Down » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 02:25:43

>> But I digress.  The upshot was that he wanted to know if we could legally
>> provide OpenOffice.org with our proprietary product, and invoke it to do
>> things, and how far out in the lead we would be (Would we be too far
>> ahead of the curve in terms of leadership).

> Interesting prospect; although I don't see why not I'm not altogether
> familiar with OpenOffice document automation. It would be nice if there
> was a published API everyone could write to; if you explore this any
> further it would be great if you could drop a note onto c.o.l.a. about
> the general nature of what you uncover.

Alas, I doubt I will get to it anytime soon, but if I do, COLA will be the
first to know.

Post by D. C. Session » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:48:00

> Interesting prospect; although I don't see why not I'm not altogether
> familiar with OpenOffice document automation. It would be nice if there
> was a published API everyone could write to; if you explore this any
> further it would be great if you could drop a note onto c.o.l.a. about
> the general nature of what you uncover.

There is a published API.  OpenOffice.org is component-based
and (what a surprise) the component specs are public (and
what's more, so is the source implementing them.)

--
|      An engineer is someone who will spend three hours        |
|      figuring out how to do a two-hour job in one hour.       |

Post by Eric W. Sarjean » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:17:45

> There is a published API.  OpenOffice.org is component-based
> and (what a surprise) the component specs are public (and
> what's more, so is the source implementing them.)

How about that! And to top things off, there's a whole ODK that provides
a very rich set of features for automating OO using both Java and C/C++.

Best of all, you can run OpenOffice as a server and connect to that
either locally or remotely. If you're building any kind of document
management solution, the ODK is seriously worth considering.

--

"Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come."  - Beatles

1. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

"May 1, 2002 - The OpenOffice.org community today
announced the availability of OpenOffice.org 1.0,
the open source, multi-platform, multi-lingual office
productivity suite available as a free download at
the OpenOffice.org community website. OpenOffice.org
1.0 is the culmination of more than 18 months of
collaborative effort by members of the OpenOffice.org
community, which is comprised of Sun employees, volunteer
developers, marketers, and end users working to create
an international office suite that will run on all major
platforms."

http://www.openoffice.org/
(if it's not busy, that is)

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving

2. ftp problem

4. Need to syncronize time with the "world"

6. Creating a base SysV init file system

7. OpenOffice returns "Get_local_host: 'localhost' IP address not available!"

8. rshd wrapper for SCO??

9. Things that break when "sun" or "__sun__" are defined

10. Are Solaris "zones" and "domains" the same thing?

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?