usb scanner agfa snapscan e25 install and configuration

usb scanner agfa snapscan e25 install and configuration

Quote:>> Could anybody help me to make my usb scanner snapscan e25 work under

Post by Eric Wilhel » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:06:23

> You mean there aren't Linux drivers included in the box with the
> scanner?

<snip (sorry, I guess the bozo got out)>

If you want help with this, you are better off posting in COLH, this is an
advocacy ng, which means that it is full of bozos trying to convince
die-hard Linux users that Windows is really a good product.

Switching distros will never help (unless you just want an easy way to get
a new kernel version (which sometimes helps)).  You should check the usb
scanner compatibility list:
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html

It would lead you here:  http://snapscan.sourceforge.net/

It doesn't look like there is much help from the vendor with this, but
they do have it listed without any particular bugs/errors.  You should be
able to make it work

--Eric

usb scanner agfa snapscan e25 install and configuration

Post by joecarto » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:29:45

Sure my scanner is listed as supported by sane and sure I hadn't linux
drivers included with the scanner...
I actually went to snapscan.sourceforge.net,net but coulnd't have help
I needed.
I still hope for a tip of you...

> > You mean there aren't Linux drivers included in the box with the
> > scanner?
> <snip (sorry, I guess the bozo got out)>

> If you want help with this, you are better off posting in COLH, this is an
> advocacy ng, which means that it is full of bozos trying to convince
> die-hard Linux users that Windows is really a good product.

> Switching distros will never help (unless you just want an easy way to get
> a new kernel version (which sometimes helps)).  You should check the usb
> scanner compatibility list:
> http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html

> It would lead you here:  http://snapscan.sourceforge.net/

> It doesn't look like there is much help from the vendor with this, but
> they do have it listed without any particular bugs/errors.  You should be
> able to make it work

> --Eric

usb scanner agfa snapscan e25 install and configuration

Post by Nigel Feltha » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 20:56:42

Quote:> By the time all of that fails, you'll be so sick of Linux you'll try a
> real operating system.

Ok, How about my scanner, a mustek 600cp. On Linux you download SANE source
and a development patch (which will be included as part of SANE releases
once driver is finished) , compile it and it works perfectly. On WinXP you
hunt for driver and find it's not supported and never will be so you have
to either install win9x or NT as dual-boot or buy a new scanner.

I'd rather use an OS where the hardware can be made to work by downloading
a source patch then use one where the hardware needs replacing as it will
never work.

On Linux once a driver is finished and working for any piece of hardware
you can almost guarantee it will still be supported in all future releases
but on windblows it's very likely to not work on next OS release

Post by goug.. » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:43:27

> You mean there aren't Linux drivers included in the box with the scanner?

> Try this:

> Switch to Redhat and spend a week trying to make it work.

> If that doesn't work.....

> Switch to SuSE and spend a week trying to make it work.

> If that doesn't work......

> Switch to Caldera and spend a week trying to make it work.

> If that doesn't work......

> Switch to Debian and spend a week trying to make it work....

<snip>

If that doesn't work, stop listening to flatfish
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

Post by goug.. » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:49:11

> >Sure my scanner is listed as supported by sane and sure I hadn't linux
> >drivers included with the scanner...
> >I actually went to snapscan.sourceforge.net,net but coulnd't have help
> >I needed.
> >I still hope for a tip of you...

> Unfortunately you are getting the "Linux Hardware Shuffle" which in a nutshell
> means that the word "Supported" takes on a whole new meaning under Linux.

My MS Mouse is "supported" by windows.  Does it work right under
windows?  Not even after 3 hours hard graft.  Linux?  Typed about 3
commands as root, then edited one line in my X config file.  Works
perfectly, took 2 minutes

Quote:

> With Linux, "Supported hardware" means the kernel knows that it is there and it
> MIGHT work if you fiddle with it enough.

Same with windows flatty

Quote:

> It doesn't mean you will be able to use all the features you paid for.
> It also means that you can't use all that great software that came with your
> scanner, like Adobe for instance.

> What it DOES mean is that if you have enough time and can find some poor soul
> who has spent half his life trying to make it work and succeeded, you have a
> decent chance of making it work.

Errr...like windows then

Quote:

> Of course, you can always write your own driver.
> You have the "source" you know :)

Well, at least Linux gives you the option!

Quote:

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by mkosc » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 04:01:32

> You mean there aren't Linux drivers included in the box with the scanner?

See and people think that Windows does this or that. It's the 3rd party
software vendors. Imagine a world of HW manufacturers that only developed
drivers for Linux how good would *precious* Windows(tm) be then.

The answer is obvious. The Windows OS is of itself not superior to Linux.

usb scanner agfa snapscan e25 install and configuration

Post by The Ghost In The Machin » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 23:35:07

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, joecartoon

 wrote
on 6 Feb 2002 13:56:39 -0800

Quote:>>> Could anybody help me to make my usb scanner snapscan e25 work under
>>> mandrake 8.0?
>>> I tried to install  latest sane rpms and tar.gzs but couldn't make it....
>>> Thanks in advance and consider I'm a new linux user.....

Be advised that this is an advocacy group; you may feel like you've
just entered the Twilight Zone.  :-)  If you want assistance, you
might try comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.hardware, or comp.os.linux.help.

Good luck, and keep some asbestos underware handy. :-)

--

EAC code #191       41d:12h:01m actually running Linux.
                    Be paranoid.  Everyone else is.

1. Problems with configuration of agfa snapscan touch scanner

Can somebody explain me how to configure correctly my agfa snapscan touch
usb scanner with a redhat 7.3 installation. I read some howto's but so far
did not succeed to make the scanner work even though the sane-find-scanner
finds the scanner as follows :

sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x06bd, product = 0x0100) at
device /dev/usb/scanner0

I installed as recommended the latest sane environment without success.
The linux kernel version I currently use is 2.4.18.3. Redhat provides with
an upgrade to 2.4.18.10 but I didn't install it because otherwise the
module I found to make my via chipset work (via 97) won't work because I
only found the module compiled and optimised for the .3 kernel.

Any hint to make the scanner operational is welcome

Thanks,

Henri

2. SPARC Laptops

3. USB Scanner Pb (Agfa SnapScan 1212U)

4. DPT SmartRAID VI on BIG server

5. USB Scanner (AGFA SnapScan 1212u) and SANE?

6. grep and regular expressions - help

7. Agfa SnapScan USB Scanner

8. IPv6 Gateway and the route command

9. Searching for Scanner driver: Agfa SnapScan

10. Scanner Agfa Snapscan e20

11. Agfa Snapscan Touch USB

12. installing agfa snapscan