Slow as a pig

Post by D. C. Session » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:34:11

Although I gotta admit that FreeAmp didn't drop a note.
I suppose it might have had to do with running grip to rip
and compress about 30 CDs while burning the resulting MP3
directories onto CD and doing QA by playing them with
FreeAmp.  Since this required babysitting I read and surfed,
and frankly the UI seems a bit sluggish.

Then again, the CPU has been pegged at 100% for eight hours.
Maybe it would have gone smoother if I had bothered to use
local storage instead of an NFS mount for the files?  I did
nice lame at +10 but maybe more would have been a good idea.

--
| It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance  |
|  It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance  |

Slow as a pig

Post by Linonu » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 04:41:38

After takin' a swig o' grog, D. C. Sessions belched out this bit o' wisdom:

Quote:> Although I gotta admit that FreeAmp didn't drop a note.
> I suppose it might have had to do with running grip to rip
> and compress about 30 CDs while burning the resulting MP3
> directories onto CD and doing QA by playing them with
> FreeAmp.  Since this required babysitting I read and surfed,
> and frankly the UI seems a bit sluggish.

> Then again, the CPU has been pegged at 100% for eight hours.
> Maybe it would have gone smoother if I had bothered to use
> local storage instead of an NFS mount for the files?  I did
> nice lame at +10 but maybe more would have been a good idea.

I played an MP3 file while installing Cygwin from local disk
on my new lappy, booted to Win 2K.  It skipped, of course.

But, I gotta boot to the Windows partition on occasion.

Boy have I got a story to tell, but later.

Chris

--
The state law of Pennsylvania prohibits singing in the bathtub.

Slow as a pig

Post by Donn Mille » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 05:18:46

> I played an MP3 file while installing Cygwin from local disk
> on my new lappy, booted to Win 2K.  It skipped, of course.

> But, I gotta boot to the Windows partition on occasion.

> Boy have I got a story to tell, but later.

Although I like Cygwin, it seems to make my WinME very unstable (as if
it needed any help).  Cygwin was very nice on XP, though...

Slow as a pig

Post by Mark Ke » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:00:51

>> I played an MP3 file while installing Cygwin from local disk
>> on my new lappy, booted to Win 2K.  It skipped, of course.

>> But, I gotta boot to the Windows partition on occasion.

>> Boy have I got a story to tell, but later.

>Although I like Cygwin, it seems to make my WinME very unstable (as if
>it needed any help).  Cygwin was very nice on XP, though...

I find that it's the only thing which makes Win98 acceptable.

--
            |  Mark Kent   --   Take out the ham to mail me.  |
A is for awk, which runs like a snail, and
B is for biff, which reads all your mail.
C is for cc, as hackers recall, while
D is for dd, the command that does all.
E is for emacs, which rebinds your keys, and
F is for fsck, which rebuilds your trees.
G is for grep, a clever detective, while
H is for halt, which may seem defective.
I is for indent, which rarely amuses, and
J is for join, which nobody uses.
K is for kill, which makes you the boss, while
L is for lex, which is missing from DOS.
M is for more, from which less was begot, and
N is for nice, which it really is not.
O is for od, which prints out things nice, while
P is for passwd, which reads in strings twice.
Q is for quota, a Berkeley-type fable, and
R is for ranlib, for sorting ar table.
S is for spell, which attempts to belittle, while
T is for true, which does very little.
U is for uniq, which is used after sort, and
V is for vi, which is hard to abort.
W is for whoami, which tells you your name, while
X is, well, X, of dubious fame.
Y is for yes, which makes an impression, and
Z is for zcat, which handles compression.
                -- THE ABC'S OF UNIX

1. pig-slow kernel "make dep" on RedHat 4.0, 486SX33

I am running RedHat 4.0 (Kernel version 2.0.18) on a 486SX33 with 12MB
RAM and am experiencing an *incredibly* slow kernel "make dep" step.
Now, I'm not expecting lightning fast, given the CPU I've got, but
take a look at the symptoms:

I followed the steps listed in /usr/src/linux/README, and got to the
"make dep" step.  Here's the output:

    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.18/arch/i386/boot'
    make[1]: Nothing to be done for `dep'.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.18/arch/i386/boot'
    rm -f .hdepend
    gawk -f scripts/depend.awk `find /usr/src/linux-2.0.18/include -name \*.h !
 -name modversions.h -print` > ..hdepend

which looks fine.  However, at this point (the gawk command), it takes
*forever* (like 5 or 10 minutes for each invocation of gawk during the
"make dep").  While this is happening, I pull up either xosview or procview,
both of which indicate that the CPU is in system mode 80% of the time!

The only thing that seems remotely relevant is that I'm running a 486SX,
which would mean lots of interrupts for floating point code.  I hope that
floating point code isn't used in determining kernel dependencies :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Glen Reesor                      Opinions are mine, only mine, and definitely

2. Pre-patches: do i have to install all?

3. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

4. CPFW1 and ucd-snmp

5. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

6. Unix

7. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

8. Mouse button emulation - please help

9. Matrox g450 + tuxracer = slow slow slow!!! [???]

10. Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

11. rcmd fast, slow, slow, slow, fast, slow, slow. Again!!

12. RACIST RADIO HOST PIG

13. Netscape is a PIG, Lynx is... er, lightweight, Opera is only for RH 7.1, so...